How do you know when seeds are done?

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
The seed pod will start to open up to release the seed and it normally starts 5 weeks after pollination. Take a set of tweezers and pull a single seed pod off and open it up to check the status of seed from different parts of the plant. Keep in mind that the lower part of the plant will take a little longer to develop, so be sure to check lower pods as well. From the picture, I would say you have around 2 weeks to go

baldmountain

Super Active Member
The seed pod will start to open up to release the seed and it normally starts 5 weeks after pollination. Take a set of tweezers and pull a single seed pod off and open it up to check the status of seed from different parts of the plant. Keep in mind that the lower part of the plant will take a little longer to develop, so be sure to check lower pods as well. From the picture, I would say you have around 2 weeks to go
Thanks. That's very helpful. I figured there was a bit more time to go. I'm in no hurry. :)

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Thanks everyone.

I let them sit on a paper plate for a week or so. They are in a white envelop now. I'm starting a grow soon so I'll plant a couple to see if they are viable. The rest will get vacuum packed and go in the fridge with the rest of my seeds waiting to be grown. :)

Phenofarmseeds

Head breeder / owner
So I polinated this plant out on the deck and have just let it do its thing. I'm pretty sure the seeds aren't ready yet. How do I tell when they are done. Keeping in mind its October in New England.

View attachment 74569
While breeding indoors we usualy let all of our varieties go for a minimum of 12-14 weeks for seeds to fully mature , we also pull the males from the rooms at a certain time to prevent white unripe seeds .

Outdoors we let our pollinated seed plants go until they cant go anymore , use the mendo dope boys as an example they didnt harvest last years seed until there was snow on the ground and that's california .

Were located in southern , Ontario , Canada so we aim for mid October for seed harvest . Also depends on when you pollinated the target plant . If you hit her too late with pollen you may be in trouble for seed ripeness

Cabl3t3ch

I haven't tried that method. How is the germination rate for older seeds?

I have mine in mason jar packed with desiccant. I've read that the ideal long term seed storage is about 3% moisture content.
When storing put in a vial that has some silica from drying packs in it. You can fit 2 or 3 in a skunk sack with an unopened packet of silica gel. Close that up air tight then put the whole thing into a mason jar with a temp/hydrometer in it. The little ones you can buy a dozen on Amazon again lol. Then store in your vegetable crisper. Temps are right hopefully above 32 below 45 with the silica gel and air/light tight system your good for 5 years I’d say. Pushing 4 myself with exact same setup. Don’t open the whole thing unnecessarily.

Cabl3t3ch

Get small bottles of purchased water. Put on a heat mat in dark place set at 85 degrees with caps open for a day. Pull seeds from fridge open up the system and get seeds into the water bottles quickly. Seal every thing back up quickly and add some new desiccate put back in fridge. Put caps on bottles shake gently let set 12 hours. Seeds should have sunk. If not shake a little harder and wait another 12 hours. Drain and put seeds on wetted paper towel (use the water that’s been warmed) wring out excess water from towels and cover seed put into ziplock bag and set back on heat mat. Check every 12 hours. 95% rate but yes it’s a pain in the but!!!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Get small bottles of purchased water. Put on a heat mat in dark place set at 85 degrees with caps open for a day. Pull seeds from fridge open up the system and get seeds into the water bottles quickly. Seal every thing back up quickly and add some new desiccate put back in fridge. Put caps on bottles shake gently let set 12 hours. Seeds should have sunk. If not shake a little harder and wait another 12 hours. Drain and put seeds on wetted paper towel (use the water that’s been warmed) wring out excess water from towels and cover seed put into ziplock bag and set back on heat mat. Check every 12 hours. 95% rate but yes it’s a pain in the but!!!
85° is a little too warm, isn’t it? I just put my seeds in little plastic dosage cups (like the ones that come on cough syrup) filled with water, put those on a heat mat set to 75°, and they usually have a taproot out in 24 hours. Those that don’t are ready to go within an additional 24 hours. I can’t remember the last time a seed didn’t germinate for me using this method.

Cabl3t3ch

85° is a little too warm, isn’t it? I just put my seeds in little plastic dosage cups (like the ones that come on cough syrup) filled with water, put those on a heat mat set to 75°, and they usually have a taproot out in 24 hours. Those that don’t are ready to go within an additional 24 hours. I can’t remember the last time a seed didn’t germinate for me using this method.
It’s set to 85 I don’t ever think it actually makes it to that temp

Cabl3t3ch

I’m willing to try it. Lots less work!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
As an update to this I put a couple seeds into seed starter and they sprouted just fine. No paper towels or soaking, just straight to soil. The flower from this cultivar has zero potency so I may not actually grow any of these seeds but I learned a bit about making seeds.
Planting straight into seed starter works fine. I only use water because it lets me see that the seeds have cracked so I’m not wondering if I have a bum seed for days.

GLG

While breeding indoors we usualy let all of our varieties go for a minimum of 12-14 weeks for seeds to fully mature , we also pull the males from the rooms at a certain time to prevent white unripe seeds .

Outdoors we let our pollinated seed plants go until they cant go anymore , use the mendo dope boys as an example they didnt harvest last years seed until there was snow on the ground and that's california .

Were located in southern , Ontario , Canada so we aim for mid October for seed harvest . Also depends on when you pollinated the target plant . If you hit her too late with pollen you may be in trouble for seed ripeness
I do the same here, 12-14 wks. Chunky healthy looking seeds. Still some underdeveloped but it winds up being less than a dozen per plant.