How did u quit cigs?

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
Don't discount hypnosis. Worth the $50 to try, I think. I quit cold turkey. It's more of a "where there's a will" kinda thing. Figure out where/when you smoke and change your routine to avoid being in those situations.
I would try the hypnosis thing to quit. I wouldn't even know where to look into that at. I guess i can Google it

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I've been a "quitter" for about 9 yrs now. Quit a 20yr habit cold turkey. Best advise I can give is this:

-Truly establish to yourself why you want to quit and use that as motivation. Mine was poor health, and the fear of leaving my children fatherless prematurely.
- Dont tease your body and mind with patches or gum. All you are doing is keeping nicotine in your system longer and prolonging the quit. Nicotine will be free from your system in 7-10 days. After that, it is no longer a physical addiction.
-Toss out whatever is left in your pack right now, dont care if you just bought em. This is establishing to yourself that you are in fact ready to quit.
-Alter your "triggers". What I mean by this, is most have what I sum up as "triggers" and this is when you do something that is followed by lighting up a smoke whether it be right after a meal, when you get in the car, have a beer, after horizontal dancing etc. Instead of smoking right after a meal, replace the smoke with something else like with a jolly rancher or cinnamon toothpick.....or a joint. You gotta break those little individual habits to be successful.
-Distance yourself from others who smoke if possible. For instance, I have a group of friends that all smoke, and I found it hard to be around that in the first couple days of quitting. Thats when smoking still isnt a turnoff and you are still craving and have nicotine in your system....your still addicted physically and mentally. Just seperating yourself and hermiting out for a week will help. I did this, and when I emerged back into my norm I had lost the attraction or craving for a smoke. It was more repulsive than it was a tease when others would smoke.
-You just have to be absolutely ready to quit, and your will power will be tested so have a good support system that has the same goals for you. If your spouse smokes...make it a couples thing and quit together as the support will be stronger than if done alone.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Great advice HydroRed.
And if you quit...keep quitting.
If you fail...get back to quitting.
The people who succeed never stop quitting. It is the only difference between success and failure.
And it SUCKS. I was an ogre. I started using snuff then smoked then quit smoking and got hooked on nicorette gum and then just went cold turkey
But I never really liked smoking. It was an addiction to nicotine.
Beer....now that is a lot harder to quit....because i really like beer. :D

D

Deleted member 60

Just wanna toss in a "Hang in there" and show support.

Have never had a ciggie habit but kicked the opiates to the curb cold turkey in '07 after 10 years of being the doctor's puppet. 10 years prior to that I gave up drinking. Always had a beer in my hand. Have a hard time gettin through one now....but I can still pound the cocktails so i'm VERY reserved and have a RESPECT for the drug I never had previously.

I weaned from the opiates but the wall was still there and I hit it hard. Dumped those suckers in the shitter and tightened the belt for the ride, And what a ride it was. I can still eat too many of em if they are around so I just avoid having them here ....especially in quantity.

Yup...gotta rid the system. The whole time i was kickin' I kept tellin myself that if I gave in...all the pain would be for nothin. Finally....after about 5 days...I felt the grip start to lessen. After 8 days the Sun rose and I was reborn. (felt like it anyway)

You can do it man. You just have to truly WANT TO. Don;t let up...don't give in. It's back to square one with an extra SELF kick in the ass if you do.

hang tough......

Last edited by a moderator:

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
Just wanna toss in a "Hang in there" and show support.

Have never had a ciggie habit but kicked the opiates to the curb cold turkey in '07 after 10 years of being the doctor's puppet. 10 years prior to that I gave up drinking. Always had a beer in my hand. Have a hard time gettin through one now....but I can still pound the cocktails so i'm VERY reserved and have a RESPECT for the drug I never had previously.

I weaned from the opiates but the wall was still there and I hit it hard. Dumped those suckers in the shitter and tightened the belt for the ride, And what a ride it was. I can still eat too many of em if they are around so I just avoid having them here ....especially in quantity.

Yup...gotta rid the system. The whole time i was kickin' I kept tellin myself that if I gave in...all the pain would be for nothin. Finally....after about 5 days...I felt the grip start to lessen. After 8 days the Sun rose and I was reborn. (felt like it anyway)

You can do it man. You just have to truly WANT TO. Don;t let up...don't give in. It's back to square one with an extra kick SELF in the ass if you do.

hang tough......
Congratulations on being clean from the opiates for that long. Going through that detox is a living hell that i dont wish on anyone. I have been off heroin since 2-22-07. I will always remember that day. It was the best decision i ever made, i got to be close with my grandpop, and mother and make them proud of me before they passed away. Sadly they both pass3d away due to cancer from smoking. I dont want to end up in the same position so i need to quit. I know it is hard but i know i can do it.

Highsince76

Super Active Member
Cold Turkey; but not soon enough.
The damage was done.
Continuous smoker for 20+ years, and on and off for another 10 years.
But in reality, I used dip, to get off the cigs, so not really cold turkey.
So basically switched from abusing the lungs to abusing the gums and lip.
Tobacco is so addicting and hard to get away from. One of the hardest things I've ever done was quit smoking.
You have to really want it to beat it.
I beat the smoking of tobacco, but not tobacco altogether.
It should be illegal, not weed.

Paddletail

Smoked those nasty fuckers for 20 years. I tried many times to just up and quit... lol. Tried the gum and actually put them down for a few months but came back of course. I finally dropped my pride, which is very hard for me to do, and began looking like the idiots I had made fun of with vape pens. Got myself one and stepped down the nicotine levels relatively fast and after a while I was wondering why I was even buying it anymore so I stopped. That was 4+ years ago and I have no desire to touch another 1 ever. I cant stand the smell of those damn things anymore. Makes me want to knock teeth out

WebstersBallSack

European Bean Flicker
I'll kill someone!!!!!
lol
I told myself I would stop when I got to 30, that day came and went and I carried on. Then I had to have tests for COPD and approaching my 40th I knew it was time to quit. That was key, actually wanting to quit and not just doing it because the doc said to. I bought a vape for my birthday and honestly never had the urge to smoke a cig since, not even on a night out when pissed. After a week of no cigs I couldn't stand the smell of them, the literally smell disgusting. Then I think of all the times ive walked into a pub or building after just docking one out and think fook me I must of stunk for the last 25 years.

I think at first my nicotine intake went up because I didn't know how much I should be taking, plus long drives to work with pen in hand and I got carried away a few times. Nearly passed out while driving once, had to pull over and lay down.

Anyhow Ive cut down loads, the dentist tells me im still classed as a smoker ,the twat! Nicotine is not good for you by any stretch of the imagination but its better than nicotine plus a hundred other chemicals.
I do think the hand to mouth habit is underestimated. So it helps with that.

I also think its best to not tell folks your stopping, like friends and family. My opinion is if you tell everyone on day one and by day ten you've given in to temptation then you feel bad about it and have some sort of defeated element which is greatly increased when everyone knows you failed. Then its a little bit harder to quit next time.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
lol
I told myself I would stop when I got to 30, that day came and went and I carried on. Then I had to have tests for COPD and approaching my 40th I knew it was time to quit. That was key, actually wanting to quit and not just doing it because the doc said to. I bought a vape for my birthday and honestly never had the urge to smoke a cig since, not even on a night out when pissed. After a week of no cigs I couldn't stand the smell of them, the literally smell disgusting. Then I think of all the times ive walked into a pub or building after just docking one out and think fook me I must of stunk for the last 25 years.

I think at first my nicotine intake went up because I didn't know how much I should be taking, plus long drives to work with pen in hand and I got carried away a few times. Nearly passed out while driving once, had to pull over and lay down.

Anyhow Ive cut down loads, the dentist tells me im still classed as a smoker ,the twat! Nicotine is not good for you by any stretch of the imagination but its better than nicotine plus a hundred other chemicals.
I do think the hand to mouth habit is underestimated. So it helps with that.

I also think its best to not tell folks your stopping, like friends and family. My opinion is if you tell everyone on day one and by day ten you've given in to temptation then you feel bad about it and have some sort of defeated element which is greatly increased when everyone knows you failed. Then its a little bit harder to quit next time.
Omg ur right. Everytime I sit in mu truck I latch my seatbelt and reach for my lighter, bowl, cigs. Something. Fucj me. After i eat, when i wake up, when I get frustrated.
The ecigs keep breaking in my pocket at work. And the ones I got were 75 a piece plus the cartridge. So I'm gonna get a disposable juul today. Fuck it imma be a gangsta with my e pen!!
Thanks for everyones input!!

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I got addicted to heroin, and quit that. After I kicked heroin, quitting smoking cold Turkey seemed like a walk in the park. I wouldn't advise going this route tho 😂
My coworker text me about subs.
I had to step back.
I'm like woaw.
1. Dont text me phone looking fir narcotics.
2. I'm a former addict, dont put that shit in my head.
3. That came out of nowhere. Weve spoken at work a few times about weed and got some nice GSC from him.
Hes like I havent done dope In, 3 years!!
Hahahaha ur still on it dude.
Poor kid. Youngtoo

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Anyway when relapsinh a cig is only a third the regret I have about lying to my family.
Once a month I still eat a hydro, er 4.
I kniw it's bad. I deleted the number. But I know the 19th of next month I gotta be strong. Be in a better place.
That circle sucks. I got a baby niw too