Homemade Fish Hydrolysate

Sparrowhawk420

Insanely Active Member
Cheap, homemade fish hydrolysate, very easy with the right ingredients and equipment, although very messy and certainly not for the squeamish, LOL

Recipe, taken from here http://theunconventionalfarmer.com/recipes/fish-fertilizer/

I used 2 mackrel bought for £4 from the local supermarket, each 'measured' as roughly 500ml in volume, so I followed their recipe to the 'T'

'1' Mackrel 500ml (to measure the fish volume, I poured 300ml of water in a 1 litre jug and added the cut up fish, the water level went up to 800ml, so I knew I had 500ml of fish)
1500ml water (non or de-chlorinated)
167g mollases/brownsugar
4 tablespoons of lacto/em1 (I'm not 100% confident in my homemade lacto, so also used some EM1 for piece of mind)

IMG_0954.JPG

It's really important to cut up the skin of the fish into small pieces, if you don't want to be replacing your blender, it's totally disgusting, but better than paying for a new blender. The skin in particular wraps around the blades, straining the motor till it burns out. Blend the fish in small bursts and monitor how warm the body of the blender is getting. If you smell any burning, that is the motor, stop immediately and allow everything to cool down.
IMG_0958.JPG

Put your fish, (some)water, sugar and lacto in the blender and blend till you've got a fine mush
IMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

Pour into a large bottle with the rest of the water, mix up and allow to ferment in a warm, dark place for 4-6 weeks. It's important to keep it as anaerobic as possible, but it's also vital that you release the gas produced during fermentation somehow. I really wouldn't like to have to clean up an exploded bottle of this stuff, LOL When it's ready, the nasty fishy smell is gone and you're left with a faint sweet/vinegary smell
IMG_0972.JPG

SSGrower

Average Grower
Whts this for n benifit of using it?
The concept is that the lacto/em1 digest a material, in this case the fish and molasses mixture. Once it is digested the nutrients within it are available for plants. This is the quickest summary of knf I can can offer.
Some use bran or other grains to make a solid bokashi for adding into the soil or feeding to worms.

There are several options for microbial sources, photosynthesis plus is another.

Club420

Grand Master Grower
The concept is that the lacto/em1 digest a material, in this case the fish and molasses mixture. Once it is digested the nutrients within it are available for plants. This is the quickest summary of knf I can can offer.
Some use bran or other grains to make a solid bokashi for adding into the soil or feeding to worms.

There are several options for microbial sources, photosynthesis plus is another.
Iv jus ordered bokashi and em-1 funnily enough this week im going probiotic as soon as my package arrives

Bruno8437

Super Active Member
I just finished up a batch of stabilized LABS today. I'll have to make up a batch of fish hydrolysate soon but not tonight. The blender is tied up making Cinco de Mayo margaritas. I'll make mackerel smoothies tomorrow.

The nice thing about KNF is that is very forgiving in that measurements don't need to be that precise.

Thanks for the great write up, Sparrowhawk.