Holding Clones

ZiggetyZagg

So, @FluffySquish and I are having a 'discussion' about our first cloning trial. We're in the home stretch of our first grow, and I thought I'd get some cloning practice in. Well, we have clones. Several of them. One of them is a "full size ready to get her big pants" girl at around 9 inches. He has plans for popping some new seeds soon and isn't interested in flipping clones right away. He's of the opinion that we can hold the clones over through another grow. What are your thoughts on being able to hold clones over while we grow out another set of seeds?

D

Deleted member 60

Cloning them multiple times or keeping a mother plant is the only way I know to accomplish such a thing. They won't simply "hold over" for 3-4 months without some preservation methods being enacted. Good luck.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Ya cool but it didnt work. Keeping them in water media is too prone to root rot.
I keep my mothers in coco perlite. Even have some minnies in tiny shooter glass. The trick is to keep trimmimg them to keep a small plant that can go a day without water. You can veg indefinatly till she looses vigor but thats after many years of recloning.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I think he went too big with big dreams and it bit him in the ass. I could be wrong but i havent seen him for a bit. He had troubles.
Just take a clone and grow her in a beer cup. Keep her trimmed about the size of the cup. Trimm roots off once en a while when rootbound and repot. You can go bigger but mother real estate can be limmited.
When you want some clones to start, let her get taller and take your clones. When you get good, graft other strains to one mother and have several strains on one plant. Thats if you have plant limmits.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I think he went too big with big dreams and it bit him in the ass. I could be wrong but i havent seen him for a bit. He had troubles.
Just take a clone and grow her in a beer cup. Keep her trimmed about the size of the cup. Trimm roots off once en a while when rootbound and repot. You can go bigger but mother real estate can be limmited.
When you want some clones to start, let her get taller and take your clones. When you get good, graft other strains to one mother and have several strains on one plant. Thats if you have plant limmits.
Yeah, the guy went too big too fast and lost at least two entire grows. After he lost the first crop I tried to convince him to grow some plants in Soil so he could get one successful harvest under his belt. He hasn’t been here in a month.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Ya he had good intentions but sometimes that dosent help. I tried hydro and i had root problems. Coco has been alot better. Organic in the greenhouse worked well but i dont think i had enough food in there for the size of plants i had. Its all trial and error. You just have to keep at it till you figure it out.
Im going to see if i can get a multiple strain mother going this winter. Mainline with 2 horizontal branches. Different strain off each node.
So @IAM you just have to set a goal and do it. If you fail try again.

I AM

His work was proof that it can be done for me.

Unless my green thumb is outta wack...
I think I can run 144 site an bonsai cuts.
I had 14" clones with 1/4" stems under a 2' T5... before my 1st multi strain grow advanced my grow skills. So im confident.

Just limited.