HID to LED transition

Skunkle Justin

Any advice on making the switch to LEDs would be awesome. I’ve decided to evolve with the times and am finally retiring the hoods and stadium lights. They’ve served me well but, I suppose it’s time and I have no idea if I can use them mid flower on plants that have been under HPS. Thanks in advance

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Any advice on making the switch to LEDs would be awesome. I’ve decided to evolve with the times and am finally retiring the hoods and stadium lights. They’ve served me well but, I suppose it’s time and I have no idea if I can use them mid flower on plants that have been under HPS. Thanks in advance
I just did two runs w led , coming from hid. Def a little curve but they are so dam efficient. I actually turned my hids down and introduced the boards as supplimental . Then decided to just do all led after using for a bit . Hope u kill it man . Best of luck.

Streetpro09

Tester
I'm on my first half run with leds. I switched from hid to led about 4-5 weeks into flower. Didn't affect the plants much. Ran a little extra calmag cause I'm in hydro with ro water. A couple plants still got rust spots but I think thats cause I had the light a little too close.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
30-50% less power and a/c Requirements, follow vpd chart and run room warmer (80-86f)
Whole time Co2 900-1500ppm - I follow my feed based on my ppm of my co2
Average co2 veg 1200-1500ppm
Average co2 flower 1200ppm

using smarter spectrum vs spectrums that even spectrums that are blind to plant (example hps has so much of it the plant it does not use and it degrades so quickly or a MH bulb) . Every % counts especially when you start doing bigger ag and what if you were doing crazy numbers or 100’s-1000’s of lights or acres. So no reason to waste and + get better herb eh

nutes demands require you to do 15-25 % more micro ( exp mag) and key is all genetics are different but remember 3o% is genetics but than environment takes you on and that’s where you need to have it perfect ( so many people think they can buy their way in buy a bottle and they are are silver bullet but nutes are if not 10-20% or less of the battle in my opinion ) process and curing is just as much of the end results and that’s why also in this current rec/medical and grey market it sucks. Anyone can grow grapes = but good wine is a art, it’s the process and cure just like so many things (wine,cigars,beer,liquor ,leafs for cooking)

——

Brands of led I suggest ( own all those brands too and would never support a brand without good testing )

Timber led
HLG
Fluence
Rapid LED

Last edited:

Skunkle Justin

30-50% less power and a/c Requirements, follow vpd chart and run room warmer (80-86f)
Whole time Co2 900-1500ppm - I follow my feed based on my ppm of my co2
Average co2 veg 1200-1500ppm
Average co2 flower 1200ppm

using smarter spectrum vs spectrums that even spectrums that are blind to plant (example hps has so much of it the plant it does not use and it degrades so quickly or a MH bulb) . Every % counts especially when you start doing bigger ag and what if you were doing crazy numbers or 100’s-1000’s of lights or acres. So no reason to waste and + get better herb eh

nutes demands require you to do 15-25 % more micro ( exp mag) and key is all genetics are different but remember 3o% is genetics but than environment takes you on and that’s where you need to have it perfect ( so many people think they can buy their way in buy a bottle and they are are silver bullet but nutes are if not 10-20% or less of the battle in my opinion ) process and curing is just as much of the end results and that’s why also in this current rec/medical and grey market it sucks. Anyone can grow grapes = but good wine is a art, it’s the process and cure just like so many things (wine,cigars,beer,liquor ,leafs for cooking)

——

Brands of led I suggest ( own all those brands too and would never support a brand without good testing )

Timber led
HLG
Fluence
Rapid LED
This is gold!

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Thing with Gavitia lights vs others

“Gavitia” when they make led lights , instead of looking at what the plant intakes and best spectrum for what stage and best outcome . They want best outcome on a Calculator and on the books . Well does that work out for your plants ? I don’t want stretchy and worse results and not intaked to plants ? I want results for the right zone to the plants and I don’t care what “lab “ number show , I want what plants intake and best efficiency .

Plus I don’t support Monsanto ( not like the light is killing it or cheaper or lighter ?)

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
I like the old gavitas , the ones that give ya sunburn. 😎
And that’s why Monsanto bought them out ( also because they were the dominate seller for whole de hps brands ) I’m good with replacing bulbs and reflectors (read the manual it’s suggested to replace it yearly on that too ) every season. Costly and the bulbs wear out right when you turn o]em on and you can’t even dim em and the heat zone is horrible 4-6+ on canopy of light Vs vero 29 2f on light if your measuring the lights temp on canopy difference ( imagine 100s of bulbs )

I have 9 nanolux de sitting in my basement just trying to figure out a way to sell/trade em in the near future. leds changed my game ( way more enjoyable to work under too and better pics and better IPM to spot your pest and issues vs hps) cause I went from 25% leds to 100% in one season after.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
And that’s why Monsanto bought them out ( also because they were the dominate seller for whole de hps brands ) I’m good with replacing bulbs and reflectors (read the manual it’s suggested to replace it yearly on that too ) every season. Costly and the bulbs wear out right when you turn o]em on and you can’t even dim em and the heat zone is horrible 6f+ on canopy Vs vero 29 2f on canopy ( imagine 100s of bulbs )

I have 9 nanolux de sitting in my basement just trying to figure out a way to sell/trade em in the near future. leds changed my game ( way more enjoyable to work under too and better pics and better IPM to spot your pest and issues vs hps) cause I went from 25% leds to 100% in one season after.
Def a learning curve also . I'm still trying to maximize potential w my led tent

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
It’s crazy how on Led’s it’s not the heat that gets ya, the power will hurt the plants so you gotta bro top of your levels and raise the levels “. Gradually” , just like the co2 and nutes and everything else.then the plants shouldn’t stress . I became a super ocd dude with that “ measuring “ exact allowance of where the leds want ( example spydrx want 6-8 inches, but cob vero 29 want 12-20 inches ) than dimm % up gradually throughout its cycle .