Help Needed On Selecting Strains For Breeding Program?

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
No im not a noob lol i was basically saying tht it takes 20 yr t build a decent stock of award winning strains but ill try and cram it into 8. I dont want t jus breed strains willy nilly i want champion line n tht takes a ton of money and time. Im not the best at english lol only wrighting i do is jail mail n texting on mi fone plus i am dislexic i think or jus dumb 😩 one of thm lol @Greenthumbskunk

Well brother when you get out I hope your able to breed some very nice strains and have your name out their.

Lot of luck and a lot of seeds to go through.

Put it this way. You can take a male and female plant from decent stock and you can go through a couple hundred plants and your gonna find a special one in their.
Just takes time and money. Lol

Neen

You're very welcome. As you start going through certain plants and get ideas about what you'd like to see in your project's final plants, the range of plants to look for should shrink and get easier.

So let's say you pop the Sunshine Daydream and find an amazing plant that checks all the boxes for you, except the stem strength is terrible and requires too much support. The possible plants to cross her with will become more clear as you know what specific trait you need.

I would suggest looking through my thread Schwaggy P's Random Stuff in the grow journals. I have a few breeding project proposals that lay out what exactly I would like to accomplish, the plants I feel would best achieve these goals, and the breeding blueprint that should give the best chances of hitting the target.

There is also a writeup on plant structure that can help you identify those traits that you may not be considering yet, but may find to be important aspects. I will be posting an example of the pheno notes of a current project to give an idea of what that type of data sheet may look like. Having these notes from early growth will help you track these traits as you work your line. You may find that the loud smell you get from one plant is a trait that is linked to double leaf serrations. Having these notes will help you better select plants.

If I could give a few pointers:
-Breed for yourself first: If you spend a lot of time working and growing and end up with a plant that no one else is interested in, then you win anyway because it fits your tastes. If you breed a cross just because it involves the newest hottest CookieFucker 5000 cut, what do you do with the seeds after it's not cool anymore and you didn't like it to begin with? (As an aside, I dig the era of strains you listed, I prefer the older stuff).

-Know what you want: If you are haphazardly crossing random things, the odds of nailing a plant with everything you want are not on your side. You can randomly cross with the hopes to find something special, just don't count on a specific form of that special.

-Be flexible: Serious breeding programs that involve several filial generations or backcrosses can take years. If certain progeny are not doing exactly what you hoped and don't want to scrap the project, consider the other areas in which these detours can excel.

Good Luck!
Thank bro that quick read brought me back to my senses .