Help Needed On Selecting Strains For Breeding Program?

When you say, "Strong Strains", do you mean:
-Strains with high potency?
or
-General use of the term "strong" to mean a plant with many desirable traits, such that it could be described as a strong/true breeder?

Is your line up a list of the cuts you currently hold, or the current list of strains you would like to get for your breeding?

Club420

Grand Master Grower
When you say, "Strong Strains", do you mean:
-Strains with high potency?
or
-General use of the term "strong" to mean a plant with many desirable traits, such that it could be described as a strong/true breeder?

Is your line up a list of the cuts you currently hold, or the current list of strains you would like to get for your breeding?
List i would like to get. And strong in all aspects i guess, but more loud n potent than anything.

Do you have a specific project in mind? For instance, if you were seeking to create a shorter indica with a narcotic effect, burnt rubber stank, and finishes in 8 weeks, then Sour Diesel would not be a great choice (loud? yes., But lanky, longer flowering, and no burnt rubber nose).

If you have a particular set of goals in mind, then a breeding project will have a much more focused planning aspect that will give you a better shot at nailing your aim.

Your list, while solid and loud, is pretty eclectic in how they'll breed. The answer depends on if you have a specific vision, or just want a great bunch of cuts to choose from.

Club420

Grand Master Grower
Do you have a specific project in mind? For instance, if you were seeking to create a shorter indica with a narcotic effect, burnt rubber stank, and finishes in 8 weeks, then Sour Diesel would not be a great choice (loud? yes., But lanky, longer flowering, and no burnt rubber nose).

If you have a particular set of goals in mind, then a breeding project will have a much more focused planning aspect that will give you a better shot at nailing your aim.

Your list, while solid and loud, is pretty eclectic in how they'll breed. The answer depends on if you have a specific vision, or just want a great bunch of cuts to choose from.
Jus a great list to choose from. Until i pop thm all and see wht phenos i hav selected if not non at all thn i can choose what to cross together. Im not wanting lanky strain verietys. I like moderate internodle spacing for tight bud formation. But thy all hav there own traits so its a case of growing thm out flowering thm n finding thm traits and deciding what would be a good pair t cross. iv never bred seeds before but im a good enough grower to figure it out rather quickly. We all got t start somewhere. Jus dnt hav spare 20 yr to do it in so im going to try cram 20 yrs in about 8 yrs if i can. Ill give it a good go. But its not going to be a good start if i use strains tht hav been bred with everything n tht are not stable or give nanners half way through flower i selected these as a good base for strong backline

Jus a great list to choose from. Until i pop thm all and see wht phenos i hav selected if not non at all thn i can choose what to cross together. Im not wanting lanky strain verietys. I like moderate internodle spacing for tight bud formation. But thy all hav there own traits so its a case of growing thm out flowering thm n finding thm traits and deciding what would be a good pair t cross. iv never bred seeds before but im a good enough grower to figure it out rather quickly. We all got t start somewhere. Jus dnt hav spare 20 yr to do it in so im going to try cram 20 yrs in about 8 yrs if i can. Ill give it a good go. But its not going to be a good start if i use strains tht hav been bred with everything n tht are not stable or give nanners half way through flower i selected these as a good base for strong backline
Sounds like you may not necessarily have a specific strain/cross, but would just like to have a solid library to choose from to do things as they come to you. I’m also getting that you will be popping seed versions of these and do not necessarily have access to the cuts.

In this case, I would try to get ahold of a couple strains that encompass some of the traits you’ve found desirable in the plants you’ve grown before.

So just a few recommendations from the era of your current list (most of your list looks like they are from early 2000)

Deep Chunk (solid in-bred)
Bubba Kush (great smell profile)
Sunshine Daydream (Bodhi Seeds) – there are some blueberry muffin phenos
Cinderella99 (Bros. Grimm) – loud tropical fruit, quick flowering, uplifting high
Pre-2000 AK-47 (Serious Seeds)
Damn near anything crossed with Triangle Kush

I’m sure some other folks will jump in and give recommendations. I’ve found Bodhi seeds to have a large enough selection that includes a lot of the older varieties you’ve listed (and I assume enjoy) in F1 form that will allow you to find some nice expressions for your own projects.

As far as having to deal with stability in the plants, I would warn you to be careful of the Sour Diesel and some Stardawgs. They have been known to throw some issues with people. This is not to scare you off, but just to let you know the possibility exists. The untested (polyhybrid x polyhybrid) you're mentioning is something to also approach cautiously. The few I listed are solidly vetted strains with great smells/highs that are time tested of the era from your current list. These are also good breeding stock plants.

Thx for the advise ill stear clear of sour diesel n star dog thn. Its not writen in stone the selection i chose its jus a starting point so i can change my mind at anytime. If u hav any sugestions tht r not related t my list id would love t hear it as im open minded n would appeciate it thx @Schwaggy P
You're very welcome. As you start going through certain plants and get ideas about what you'd like to see in your project's final plants, the range of plants to look for should shrink and get easier.

So let's say you pop the Sunshine Daydream and find an amazing plant that checks all the boxes for you, except the stem strength is terrible and requires too much support. The possible plants to cross her with will become more clear as you know what specific trait you need.

I would like any advise on how to plan a data sheet/breeding program as i want t log everthing so i can track everthing i do. Or any other way i could keep a log it dosnt hav t be a data sheet if u kno of any other method of tracking everything.
I would suggest looking through my thread Schwaggy P's Random Stuff in the grow journals. I have a few breeding project proposals that lay out what exactly I would like to accomplish, the plants I feel would best achieve these goals, and the breeding blueprint that should give the best chances of hitting the target.

There is also a writeup on plant structure that can help you identify those traits that you may not be considering yet, but may find to be important aspects. I will be posting an example of the pheno notes of a current project to give an idea of what that type of data sheet may look like. Having these notes from early growth will help you track these traits as you work your line. You may find that the loud smell you get from one plant is a trait that is linked to double leaf serrations. Having these notes will help you better select plants.

If I could give a few pointers:
-Breed for yourself first: If you spend a lot of time working and growing and end up with a plant that no one else is interested in, then you win anyway because it fits your tastes. If you breed a cross just because it involves the newest hottest CookieFucker 5000 cut, what do you do with the seeds after it's not cool anymore and you didn't like it to begin with? (As an aside, I dig the era of strains you listed, I prefer the older stuff).

-Know what you want: If you are haphazardly crossing random things, the odds of nailing a plant with everything you want are not on your side. You can randomly cross with the hopes to find something special, just don't count on a specific form of that special.

-Be flexible: Serious breeding programs that involve several filial generations or backcrosses can take years. If certain progeny are not doing exactly what you hoped and don't want to scrap the project, consider the other areas in which these detours can excel.

Good Luck!

Club420

Grand Master Grower
You're very welcome. As you start going through certain plants and get ideas about what you'd like to see in your project's final plants, the range of plants to look for should shrink and get easier.

So let's say you pop the Sunshine Daydream and find an amazing plant that checks all the boxes for you, except the stem strength is terrible and requires too much support. The possible plants to cross her with will become more clear as you know what specific trait you need.

I would suggest looking through my thread Schwaggy P's Random Stuff in the grow journals. I have a few breeding project proposals that lay out what exactly I would like to accomplish, the plants I feel would best achieve these goals, and the breeding blueprint that should give the best chances of hitting the target.

There is also a writeup on plant structure that can help you identify those traits that you may not be considering yet, but may find to be important aspects. I will be posting an example of the pheno notes of a current project to give an idea of what that type of data sheet may look like. Having these notes from early growth will help you track these traits as you work your line. You may find that the loud smell you get from one plant is a trait that is linked to double leaf serrations. Having these notes will help you better select plants.

If I could give a few pointers:
-Breed for yourself first: If you spend a lot of time working and growing and end up with a plant that no one else is interested in, then you win anyway because it fits your tastes. If you breed a cross just because it involves the newest hottest CookieFucker 5000 cut, what do you do with the seeds after it's not cool anymore and you didn't like it to begin with? (As an aside, I dig the era of strains you listed, I prefer the older stuff).

-Know what you want: If you are haphazardly crossing random things, the odds of nailing a plant with everything you want are not on your side. You can randomly cross with the hopes to find something special, just don't count on a specific form of that special.

-Be flexible: Serious breeding programs that involve several filial generations or backcrosses can take years. If certain progeny are not doing exactly what you hoped and don't want to scrap the project, consider the other areas in which these detours can excel.

Good Luck!
Yes i agree. ty for showing a interest and sharing with me ill defo follow your thread. I dont want t breed new hot shit i want old hotness tht are stable and will always be very popular demand. I think with how many ppl hav jumped on this breeding in last 15 yrs hav jus bred for look and high thc, the alot more going on inside tht plant tht we dnt kno about and the old timers kno this better thn anybody. Some of the best strains of tday are breeds of the old skool stock jus with apealing names so thy can intice young buyers. Im going to stick with the old and try and make some magic work and breed for my own taste n if i create somthing special thn cool if not move on and try somthing differant its a lenghy process and im jus going t give it my all. Thx

Yes i agree. ty for showing a interest and sharing with me ill defo follow your thread. I dont want t breed new hot shit i want old hotness tht are stable and will always be very popular demand. I think with how many ppl hav jumped on this breeding in last 15 yrs hav jus bred for look and high thc, the alot more going on inside tht plant tht we dnt kno about and the old timers kno this better thn anybody. Some of the best strains of tday are breeds of the old skool stock jus with apealing names so thy can intice young buyers. Im going to stick with the old and try and make some magic work and breed for my own taste n if i create somthing special thn cool if not move on and try somthing differant its a lenghy process and im jus going t give it my all. Thx
It's my pleasure. Sounds like you have an idea about what you'd like to accomplish. I wish you good luck, happy growing. 🌱

D

Deleted member 60

Not that it truly matters in your breeding program....but for clarification.... I was around in 2000 and Bodhi wasn't a popular name in the mix then. He may have been breeding...but the "Sunshine Daydream" of that era was bred by "Dman". This is a grow report from OG I did in 2005 on that plant/breeder;s efforts. Pretty sure Bodhi's SSDD didn't appear for many years down the road after this....certainly not in 2000.

http://www.druglibrary.org/Strainguide/Dman_Seeds/Sunshine_Daydream/2144/index.html#g2144

Just giving due where it is deserved. Poorly researched choice of names by Bodhi, IMO....but it is what it is.

good luck with your project

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Are you saying that you been growing for 20 years or a noob just trying to get started?

Club420

Grand Master Grower
No im not a noob lol i was basically saying tht it takes 20 yr t build a decent stock of award winning strains but ill try and cram it into 8. I dont want t jus breed strains willy nilly i want champion line n tht takes a ton of money and time. Im not the best at english lol only wrighting i do is jail mail n texting on mi fone plus i am dislexic i think or jus dumb 😩 one of thm lol @Greenthumbskunk