Hash making goals

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I've never had proper hash (just scissor scraps)
Someday, when my skills grow up enough to yield a quarter of that.

Homemade hash rosin is on my bucket list.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I make bubble hash from trim and bud and then heat press and roll it up into temple balls using Frenchy's method.
I'll have my first attempt at this on the large in a few months. I have buds in the freezer, and trim already dry-sifted. I have never tried curing the kief before making it - but that's how Frenchy rolls ... the canolli LOL

I have the same little desk-top washing machine rig he has, and will keep the bubble and dry separate to see if it makes a difference. I've never hat kief that was just from the buds before - there should be significantly less veg material in the mix.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'll have my first attempt at this on the large in a few months. I have buds in the freezer, and trim already dry-sifted. I have never tried curing the kief before making it - but that's how Frenchy rolls ... the canolli LOL

I have the same little desk-top washing machine rig he has, and will keep the bubble and dry separate to see if it makes a difference. I've never hat kief that was just from the buds before - there should be significantly less veg material in the mix.
I wish I could afford a freeze dryer. The hardest part of the process for me is properly drying the bubble hash.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've also never had bubble hash that I didn't just wad up. I've never let it dry and 'kief out' before. Right now I am looking at a good way to store and properly age the kief.

I wish I could afford a freeze dryer. The hardest part of the process for me is properly drying the bubble hash.
I have a dehydrator that I can set as low as 90F. I use that for trim, and I think it's puts a little decarb on the stuff in the process - nowhere near full, but heat is gonna be used eventyally. I'll probably do that with the bubble as well. I'll use it to dry the stuff out regardless of whether I turn the thing on or not. The rack set-up is perfect, and I have some sheets for making fruit roll-ups and whatnot that it can set on.

I could only do that until it's ready to crumble though or there'd be shit everywhere :)

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I've also never had bubble hash that I didn't just wad up. I've never let it dry and 'kief out' before. Right now I am looking at a good way to store and properly age the kief.

I have a dehydrator that I can set as low as 90F. I use that for trim, and I think it's puts a little decarb on the stuff in the process - nowhere near full, but heat is gonna be used eventyally. I'll probably do that with the bubble as well. I'll use it to dry the stuff out regardless of whether I turn the thing on or not. The rack set-up is perfect, and I have some sheets for making fruit roll-ups and whatnot that it can set on.

I could only do that until it's ready to crumble though or there'd be shit everywhere :)
Frenchy recommends drying it at room temp and low humidity over the course of several days. That's difficult for me to do here so I'll probably make my future runs from dry ice hash or dry sift. I'm going to start looking for a wine refridgerator soon, too, for aging/storing the hash and my seeds. Those can be set to the low to mid 50s and would be perfect.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Frenchy recommends drying it at room temp and low humidity over the course of several days. That's difficult for me to do here so I'll probably make my future runs from dry ice hash or dry sift. I'm going to start looking for a wine refridgerator soon, too, for aging/storing the hash and my seeds. Those can be set to the low to mid 50s and would be perfect.
I only run it in winter for the low humidity i dry for almost a week in the garage at about 50-60 degrees F. to get that fine bubble you freeze it immediately after taking it off the screen then grate it. I personally dont do that, i just put it to dry and break it into smaller pieces as the days go on then i press it back together wrap it toss it in the fridge in a paper bag till im ready to burn some.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I only run it in winter for the low humidity i dry for almost a week in the garage at about 50-60 degrees F. to get that fine bubble you freeze it immediately after taking it off the screen then grate it. I personally dont do that, i just put it to dry and break it into smaller pieces as the days go on then i press it back together wrap it toss it in the fridge in a paper bag till im ready to burn some.
Yeah, I froze and microplaned mine twice last time and it was a pain in the ass trying to keep it cold enough to not stick to the microplane.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah, I froze and microplaned mine twice last time and it was a pain in the ass trying to keep it cold enough to not stick to the microplane.
That's just a cheese grater, and will prbably do as much harm as good. If you are gentle with it getting it out of the bag and off the scraper, and let it dry as is (ugly and messy) not push it around into a neat little wad or spatula-ing it out thin. they are like little jelly-filled bubbles.

As long as it is not molding during aging, I plan to leave it untouched. Have it on a screen so it gets air all around, but leave it clumpy. After a few months I think it'll break apart like brown sugar. you can sift it if you are gentle.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And I would go with a kitchen sifter of various grades to get the big clumps down to size instead of a microplane. basically a large keif screen.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
That's just a cheese grater, and will prbably do as much harm as good. If you are gentle with it getting it out of the bag and off the scraper, and let it dry as is (ugly and messy) not push it around into a neat little wad or spatula-ing it out thin. they are like little jelly-filled bubbles.

As long as it is not molding during aging, I plan to leave it untouched. Have it on a screen so it gets air all around, but leave it clumpy. After a few months I think it'll break apart like brown sugar. you can sift it if you are gentle.
The microplane is used to get the frozen hash cut up fine enough to dry properly. The trichome heads burst when you heat press it so microplaning it doesn't do any harm, because it is done after you press it once. It's another one of Frenchy's methods. That said, it's a total pain in the ass, so I won't bother with it again.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The microplane is used to get the frozen hash cut up fine enough to dry properly. The trichome heads burst when you heat press it so microplaning it doesn't do any harm, because it is done after you press it once. It's another one of Frenchy's methods. That said, it's a total pain in the ass, so I won't bother with it again.
I think that depends on if you plan to use it as soon as it's dry, or if you are letting it age before pressing. So microplaning it to dry it - then long cure would be just exposing a lot of goodies to air.

Which you are correct would not matter if you were pressing right away.

A few tricks I picked up from either him or trial and error are:

to use the full-mesh bags, and not be afraid to rinse the stuff down to the center of the bag using the sink sprayer (his video) - there is less scraping required

I use the frisbee (or hydrofarm 10-12" plant saucer) method to stretch the bag when I am getting the goodies. then use a plastic playing card to collect. Deck of 52 clear plastic cards with jokers for a few $ ;) Thinner than credit cards, like a business card that's acetate.

I found that if you put a plush, absorbent (lint-free) towel, or stack of paper towels in the frisbee then stretch the bag over it and wait, you save a LOT of drying time. It also lifts off the bag in nice sheets with the thin plastic scraper. When you put it on the 25m cloth drying sheets that come with the bags (buy lots extra) put that on a paper towel as well. That and gravity will wick away most of the moisture.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's what I just collected from dry-sitf drying I uncover it and shuffle it ever day.
IMG_3240.JPG
And some stuff from recent harvests that didn't get edibled. The Hippie Girl Scout smells like bubblegum. That cheap pink kind you had to work on for a while. The assorted is just anything of note that was realy dank on the terps. Didn't get a lot from any one stinky plant yet.
IMG_3241.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Here's what I just collected from dry-sitf drying I uncover it and shuffle it ever day.
View attachment 87480
And some stuff from recent harvests that didn't get edibled. The Hippie Girl Scout smells like bubblegum. That cheap pink kind you had to work on for a while. The assorted is just anything of note that was realy dank on the terps. Didn't get a lot from any one stinky plant yet.
View attachment 87481
The hash in the jars looks like it has nice color to it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The hash in the jars looks like it has nice color to it.
I think after a few weeks any veg that might be in it has browned and it takes that green tint out. Those are both the best stuff though. After sifting I toss the "over and under" (too much veg/too much dust) stuff in a jar to decarb and make budder. The stuff on the big tray is just run through a 120m screen and left to dry.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's my little contraption for sifting. Even after going through that 120m mesh on the big sifter, the 160m will still catch some veg that got through the first time. Works better on a hard surface that gets noisy - rattles the stuff more LOL
IMG_3261 (2).JPG
Then a decent amount got hung up on the 120m screen. Most collected evenly between the 96m and 75m screen, and will probably get mixed back together if they both look relatively veg free. I'll look at the stuff with a loupe and see of one is noticably more uniform/no veg. But I think this is as far as I'll take it before long term curing it.
IMG_3264.JPG
Thinking about both storage and a few upgrades to the wooden sifter, I ordered some assorted screens ro make more boxes.
The "work-bag" 220m or close screen makes stuff go much quicker. The 120-ish one will catch most of the veg, then the 66 (on mine) caught very little. so I ordered 200 mesh instead of the 230. Because of the different applications, searching wire-cloth or stainless mesh using the mesh-gauge makes it a lot easier (and the products cheaper) than searching for "120 micron..." which automatically directs you to weed stuff LOL.
micron-mesh.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think that's a dog food bowl that they fit in perfectly. Thing is older than me LOL