harvestin and drying of seeds

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
How do You Basterds do it? Myself in keeping with my basic nature I bust the seeds out of the buds , dry clean each seed off and throw in a bowl with some rice and put on a shelf at room temp for about 7-10 days then seal in dry container that is lightproof and put em in the fridge till I want to germinate .

GetOffMyNutes

CBD Yoda
Once I separate the seeds from the chafe I let them sit out at room temperature for a week or two. Then I seal them up with uncooked rice grains and chill them in a refrigerator until I package them up and send them off.
Do they need to be chilled or is that mainly to keep the seeds viable for a longer period?

It's my first breed and the pollination has occured at the 3rd-4th week of a 9 week strain. Can I leave the seeds there untill harvest or I should pull them out after 4 weeks? Since I only have a few buds that have been pollinated, I just don't want to miss out on the seeds by leaving them there too long.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
It's my first breed and the pollination has occured at the 3rd-4th week of a 9 week strain. Can I leave the seeds there untill harvest or I should pull them out after 4 weeks? Since I only have a few buds that have been pollinated, I just don't want to miss out on the seeds by leaving them there too long.
You can leave them until you harvest. And this is strictly my opinion, but I personally try to let my seeds go 2-3 weeks past harvest. You won't be leaving them there too long. Again, in my personal opinion, longer is better.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Do they need to be chilled or is that mainly to keep the seeds viable for a longer period?
I asked a similar question about the reasoning behind putting the seeds into the fridge for curing. I'm regurgitating this info - "The fridge mimics the colder stratification period seeds deal with in nature. It can help break dormancy in seeds and the sprout shed the shell. It's not absolutely necessary, I've popped seeds fresh from the bud before, but it does increase the success rate." - @Schwaggy P

I hope that helps (y)

You can leave them until you harvest. And this is strictly my opinion, but I personally try to let my seeds go 2-3 weeks past harvest. You won't be leaving them there too long. Again, in my personal opinion, longer is better.

Thanks for your input.

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
I have found You want minimum of 6 weeks from pollenating to harvesting to assure the majority of seeds are mature when You take them , I have ran seeds straight off the plant as Schwaggy stated and the germ rate I would say was around 65% , dry for a week or 2 then hit fridge and I am shocked if a fully mature seed prepared this way doesn't germinate , I would say 95% or better results. To Me 3 weeks of seed prep is worth the time and care.

Last edited:

SCJedi

Synergist
I typically allow a plant that has been pollinated to go at least a week past its ripest stage so the seeds mature. So 56 gets 63, 63 gets 70 and so on.

I have seeds plants outdoors (Nigerian Sunshine x Granny Skunk) that I know have ripe seeds on them and I am just letting them fizzle out on their own. Sort of a cure-on-the-vine type seed harvest. That worked really well for me last year.

LordKoos

Yes I do this also, I believe it allows more of the seeds to mature fully. Then I cut the seeded buds off the plant and let them dry for a week or two.

I don't get the fridge thing at all, it's not a piece of cheese. The worse thing for seeds is dampness, and in a fridge you have the risk of condensation forming in the container, especially when you remove the seeds from the colder environment to a warmer one. Dry and dark is good. Cannabis seeds never get cold in the tropics so I don't get that part.

I have found You want minimum of 6 weeks from pollenating to harvesting to assure the majority of seeds are mature when You take them , I have ran seeds straight off the plant as Schwaggy stated and the germ rate I would say was around 65% , dry for a week or 2 then hit fridge and I am shocked if a fully mature seed prepared this way doesn't germinate , I would say 95% or better results. To Me 3 weeks of seed prep is worth the time and care.

followed your advise in the 6 weeks and out of 132 seeds harvested only 4 of them don't look mature enough.Some Jah Canna Karma coming your way for that :)

Dirtbag

Really Active Member
I'm not an expert on this but I know a bit about cold stratification. From what I remember not all plant seeds require it to break dormancy and if they do, it usually requires a cold period of a couple months or more. But I'm pretty sure cannabis only requires water and warmth to break dormancy. Otherwise it would never grow wild in warm equatorial locations that dont get a cold winter.. But it do..

Ok so I am chopping a plant today hypothetically, hanging it for the next 7 days at minimum. After that 7-10 day period, I start trimming the buds up for curing. If I pop a seed out prior to curing, how long do I need to let it sit and dry before I can plant it?

Whip Eurass

Super Active Member
Ok so I am chopping a plant today hypothetically, hanging it for the next 7 days at minimum. After that 7-10 day period, I start trimming the buds up for curing. If I pop a seed out prior to curing, how long do I need to let it sit and dry before I can plant it?
I wish there was a hard and fast rule, but I haven't seen one. I've had seeds that popped a couple of weeks after collection with only two weeks dry at room temps - 4 Banana Crack just last night. Different crosses from the same harvest have had 75%, 50%, 25%, and 0. All but the BC are now getting the cold treatment.

I wish there was a hard and fast rule, but I haven't seen one. I've had seeds that popped a couple of weeks after collection with only two weeks dry at room temps - 4 Banana Crack just last night. Different crosses from the same harvest have had 75%, 50%, 25%, and 0. All but the BC are now getting the cold treatment.
Thanks. Didnt wanna start soaking them too early.

GetOffMyNutes

CBD Yoda
If you look at mother nature's process. The beans fall off the plant into the soil and new plants can begin. Once the seeds reach maturity in the plant , are they not ready to make new plants???