Grow room ran by generator

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Is it possible to run a grow room off of a generator? What problems would I have? What about the battery’s for them. What would the cost of these setups be? Is it possible? Or should I forget it

JAG

A. Yes you can.

B. Noise, constant maintenance, exhaust fumes and fuel fumes. Fire(s). disposing of used motor oil. 400hr life+-

C. Battery Tech can last 10-20 years. Cycle em so they last. Store fully charged connected to a trickle charger.

D. No limit on cost. (maybe the sky)
Grid power ($$$) is real hard if not impossible to beat, using fossil road taxed fuel. Maybe propane or nat-gas.

An alternative, is a few marine or deep-cycle batteries. A small AC inverter or 3 of them.
An automobile and jumper cables or small genny and battery charger. To charge the battery(s)

Something like this is a must for aquariums. And definitely work during a power outage, blackout and other short term outages.

Be sure to measure the power draw of the system add 20% and look for an inverter that can output that amount.
Use overkill thick wires on DC side of things. think battery jumper cable like thicknesses.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I would say a solar rig with a decent battery pack would be most efficient - unless you live in Seattle or somewhere that there is no sun.

A hydro-generator by a stream would be a cool set-up to see. You have your water source, can power lights and pumps with it, and it's constant.

Pistil Pete

Everybody Loves Lefty
When running my house on generator during storm situation shows I'm using 5/8 gallon of gas per hour. Probably could do better with a smaller unit, but this needs 2 fills a day, that's with the lights/gen off for 8 hours.

D

Deleted member 60

It's actually legal to stick a generator in a stream here in CO. Damming that stream, however, is not legal.

It's legal to run a water powered generator because the number of folks, like me, who live on a creek is incredibly minimal here....so even if we all did it...there would be no real impacts to flow/etc. The challenge would be finding a creek where the water runs fast enough and at a constant rate to make such a thing happen. Would work great during "run off"......not so great in times of drought.

and when the guy above with the Senior water right turns the crank mid-Summer and takes most of the water out of the creek for his fields....you won't be generating any power at all. For it to really work you'd need a right to that water. then you could do whatever you wanted with your 'right" to that water.

There are a few units out there but they simply don;t produce the power needed for growing dope.

There's another one that looks like a torpedo that you tie off in the stream and the water flows through it/spins the prop/generates electricity. again though.......it's gonna take a shit ton of flow to do much...... unless there are 12V grow lights....

good luck......

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
Get an extension cord lol
In a long ago and far away place, I MAY know somebody that did that. ;)

You need to buy the heavy duty outdoor type cords. It can be done, and if you put the cords in pvc pipe they can even be buried or covered in leaves etc. to avoid detection, helps to prevent the cord and connections getting wet or weathered etc. . Pvc pipe takes camo paint too.

A generator makes sense as a power outage backup, maybe not so much as the frontline thing.