Grow room ran by generator

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
It's actually legal to stick a generator in a stream here in CO. Damming that stream, however, is not legal.

It's legal to run a water powered generator because the number of folks, like me, who live on a creek is incredibly minimal here....so even if we all did it...there would be no real impacts to flow/etc. The challenge would be finding a creek where the water runs fast enough and at a constant rate to make such a thing happen. Would work great during "run off"......not so great in times of drought.

and when the guy above with the Senior water right turns the crank mid-Summer and takes most of the water out of the creek for his fields....you won't be generating any power at all. For it to really work you'd need a right to that water. then you could do whatever you wanted with your 'right" to that water.

There are a few units out there but they simply don;t produce the power needed for growing dope.

There's another one that looks like a torpedo that you tie off in the stream and the water flows through it/spins the prop/generates electricity. again though.......it's gonna take a shit ton of flow to do much...... unless there are 12V grow lights....

good luck......
Legit !

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I've been kicking around a natural gas generator for a co-generation situation; power for the grow, heat for the house, hot water, CO2 for the grow.

The ideas keep following; has anyone heard of a Peltier cooler? It's a system that takes energy from a heat source and creates cooling. Generator exhaust has plenty of heat, if such a unit could be built on a compact frame, it could handle my cooling needs...

Anyone interested in digging into this with me?

I've been kicking around a natural gas generator for a co-generation situation; power for the grow, heat for the house, hot water, CO2 for the grow.

The ideas keep following; has anyone heard of a Peltier cooler? It's a system that takes energy from a heat source and creates cooling. Generator exhaust has plenty of heat, if such a unit could be built on a compact frame, it could handle my cooling needs...

I have been kicking around a few ideas as well after the power went out for 6 hours for me 2 days ago. It really sucks watching your RH and temps climb into the high 70's when you have some freshly harvested plants doing the vampire thing in a dark tent.

Is it possible to run a grow room off of a generator? What problems would I have? What about the battery’s for them. What would the cost of these setups be? Is it possible? Or should I forget it
Salute High kev, how many KW you reckon you would need to run your grow room? $2800 will get an all in one 3KW(1000W for 3 hours) system with a good warranty and shit kicking battery that will last 10-20 years.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have been kicking around a few ideas as well after the power went out for 6 hours for me 2 days ago. It really sucks watching your RH and temps climb into the high 70's when you have some freshly harvested plants doing the vampire thing in a dark tent.
I lost power for close to 4 days from a nor’easter this fall. It’s not uncommon for us to lose it for at least a day or two during big winter storms here. I got tired of screwing with my older generators so I picked up this one for cheap at BJs.

699E6028-AFE6-45C8-9CF5-363053700560.jpeg

It’s Chinese made, but they are reliable and last as long as you take care of them and store them properly (like I should have with my 3 older ones that wouldn’t start last storm. I bought this one after borrowing the same model from my neighbor last storm. It has an electric (and pull) start and even comes with a key fob that lets you start it up and shut it down from inside the house. What sold me on this one wasI filled my neighbors with 5 gallons of fuel, ran it for close to 10 hours, and there was still over 2 gallons left in it…and that was powering my fridge, furnace,, 4x4 tent, a few lights, and my AV rack (TV in one room, network, and WiFi for the house).

I lost power for close to 4 days from a nor’easter this fall. It’s not uncommon for us to lose it for at least a day or two during big winter storms here. I got tired of screwing with my older generators so I picked up this one for cheap at BJs.

View attachment 103802

It’s Chinese made, but they are reliable and last as long as you take care of them and store them properly (like I should have with my 3 older ones that wouldn’t start last storm. I bought this one after borrowing the same model from my neighbor last storm. It has an electric (and pull) start and even comes with a key fob that lets you start it up and shut it down from inside the house. What sold me on this one wasI filled my neighbors with 5 gallons of fuel, ran it for close to 10 hours, and there was still over 2 gallons left in it…and that was powering my fridge, furnace,, 4x4 tent, a few lights, and my AV rack (TV in one room, network, and WiFi for the house).
Oi that's nice tfc! https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100522-Generator/dp/B07BYLKLFK
You give me that with a nice 55 gallon drum of fuel and 12KW solar shed I could run a decently insulated greenhouse 24/7 365 even with polar votex's and any other clown world drama bs. Loosing power on the coldest day of the fucking year last year and it staying off for a couple days was down right dangerous. Hell it stayed off for like 2 weeks for some friends of mine in TX.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Oi that's nice tfc! https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100522-Generator/dp/B07BYLKLFK
You give me that with a nice 55 gallon drum of fuel and 12KW solar shed I could run a greenhouse 24/7 365 even with polar votex's and any other clown world drama bs. Loosing power on the coldest day of the fucking year last year and it staying off for a couple days was down right dangerous. Hell it stayed off for like 2 weeks for some friends of mine in TX.
That was about what I paid at BJs with free delivery too. They have one that is 7500W for right around $825, too. If I had the money, I’d go with one of those super quiet Honda generators, but they are pretty expensive.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin

When u come up with the answer please share. I'm in the same boat. Sealed room and need at least ambient. I've seen plants suck the co2 out of a sealed room in an hour. Been debating gas generator but heard they can have issues and kill plants if there not right. Bottles suck having to transport all the time.

When u come up with the answer please share. I'm in the same boat. Sealed room and need at least ambient. I've seen plants suck the co2 out of a sealed room in an hour. Been debating gas generator but heard they can have issues and kill plants if there not right. Bottles suck having to transport all the time.
Salute H, have you ever tried filling a 5 gal bucket half way up with luke warm water then mix 5 cups of sugar into it then pitch a tablespoon of bread yeast on top of it. Put a lid on it then drill a hole through the lid and plug in a an airlock. It will smell like beer a bit but you will have a really good amount of co2 for a week.
Ale Pail.jpg

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I made my own propane CO2 generator.
You can also make one from a Mr. Heater "Buddy" propane heater.

Hours on them machines are good for maybe 4000 before major issues. Using generator full time for growing is cra cra. You would prob get about 6 months of full time use before rebuilds.
Totally cra cra, I would definitely want a solar shed doing the lion share of providing all the power needs to my grow room/greenhouse and only use a gas genie for backup for when there was a cloudy day or some other hiccup with the shed. The price of solar keeps going down and the quality of the batteries keeps going up which is really kinda strange.