Grow parameters?

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Hello all, I am new to the world of indoor gardening, as well as to this forum. I am getting ready to start my first grow, after much research I’ve got everything I need, just hoping to get a little strain specific information in terms of parameters of the grow tent.

I am growing in a 4x4x7 gorilla grow tent With a 480w HLG-550. Growing in Coco, using Dynagro as my nutes. keeping it relatively simple, with Foliage Pro, Protekt and Mag-Pro throughout veg, and Bloom, Protekt and Pro-mag through bloom, as well as weekly recharge treatments up until the last few weeks of flower.

I’m ordering a variety of seeds right now so that once I get the right equipment, I can start creating my own seeds and crosses as well, but I’ve narrowed down my first grow to one of two strains that I have or will have by the time I start. My first grow will either be ’Chocolate Diesel S1‘ from Useful Seeds, or ‘Chem Dog 91 S1’ from CSI:Humboldt. I’m leaning more towards the Choc for my first grow, as I am a huge diesel fan, although I know that CSI genetics are known for being insanely hardy compared to other breeders, so if the Chem Dog would be an easier grow for a new grower, ill go that way. I have heard good things about useful seeds genetics as well, just not nearly as much info out there on them.

Excuse my rambling, I struggle with that, But my question is this. Are there any growers on this forum who have grown either one of these strains from these breeders before? If so, what kind of temps, humidity etc do these plants like? Once I get going, I plan on documenting the whole grow and posting updates on here, I am super excited to grow my own medicine. My state has only had medical marijuana for a little over a year, and it can still be pricey finding flower that meets my high standards, so growing seems like the better option, spending more on flower each month than I do my rent, isn’t cutting it.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Welcome!
I am just about to dip a toe into the diesel myself.

Foremost, remember one thing.
Rambling is a good thing.
If you think out loud, often enough, you arrive at the correct conclusion. Also, there are many experienced growers lurking and looking all the time. The more you post up, the more likely they will recognize something you may not necessarily see. If you have questions or concerns, someone has likely experienced the same thing.

Sometimes our biggest mistake is trying TOO hard. Realize, if it rained once and a while, that plant would grow like a weed all by itself.

The best advice I could have gotten before my first grow, is that LIGHT drives photosynthesis. It is not additives, not vitamins, not a new ground breaking gimmick that you can't live without.
Have you ever found a solution @ the bottom of a bottle ?
If 50 ppm is "good" 100 ppm is not "better"

Now it is my turn to ramble.
I still remember a valuable lesson I learned sitting on my grandpappy's lap, learning how to drive a John Deere. He said to me " if you keep staring at the front tires, you will continue to make a mess zig-zagging across this field. Just put your eyes on that fence post at the end of the field , and the tractor will take you straight there.".
When I get antsy about anything, I try to remember that lesson I learned so long ago.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Welcome!
I am just about to dip a toe into the diesel myself.

Foremost, remember one thing.
Rambling is a good thing.
If you think out loud, often enough, you arrive at the correct conclusion. Also, there are many experienced growers lurking and looking all the time. The more you post up, the more likely they will recognize something you may not necessarily see. If you have questions or concerns, someone has likely experienced the same thing.

Sometimes our biggest mistake is trying TOO hard. Realize, if it rained once and a while, that plant would grow like a weed all by itself.

The best advice I could have gotten before my first grow, is that LIGHT drives photosynthesis. It is not additives, not vitamins, not a new ground breaking gimmick that you can't live without.
Have you ever found a solution @ the bottom of a bottle ?
If 50 ppm is "good" 100 ppm is not "better"

Now it is my turn to ramble.
I still remember a valuable lesson I learned sitting on my grandpappy's lap, learning how to drive a John Deere. He said to me " if you keep staring at the front tires, you will continue to make a mess zig-zagging across this field. Just put your eyes on that fence post at the end of the field , and the tractor will take you straight there.".
When I get antsy about anything, I try to remember that lesson I learned so long ago.
Yeah, I find it hard to not start with the diesel, at least half of my top ten strains are diesel crosses.

From what I’ve gathered from years of research, is that you are correct about the light! I had almost ordered one of the cheaper LED lights that so many youtubers rave about, but I decided to delve a little deeper into what makes a grow light, the science behind led lighting and what it is that is best for the health of the plant. That’s what led me to go with a quantum board setup, I even shelled out a little extra to get the newer Samsung LM301H diodes, along with CREE 660nm diodes. From what I can tell, this seems to be sufficient lighting for the tent I am growing in.

When it comes to nutes, I will be playing it very light, starting low and then adjusting if need be. There’s a user on Rollitup named Homebrewer, who has been running different Nutrient comparisons between Dynagro’s one bottle nutrients and some of the other multi-bottle solutions, including General Hydroponics and AN’s Connoisseur line, He always ran just the main nutes, and then Protekt for silica and Pro-Mag as needed for mag deficiency in the water, and each time the DG would outperform whatever it was running against at a fraction of the cost. I dont think any of them were night and day difference, but it shows that there is nothing to be gained from feeding any and everything in a bottle to your plant, so I decided to stick with his formula until I get comfortable enough with the growing part of it to start creating my own living soil. Then the Recharge is just microbes and microbe-food basically.

When it comes to ideal conditions for growing marijuana in general, Ive got that pretty well figured out and my current set-up is dialed in for now, I just know that certain strains can tend to favor specific conditions or have vulnerabilities that may not be a profound in most strains, I don’t mind learning these through trial-and-error but I figure if someone else here has already made the errors and they’re willing to share, I could benefit from their errors and then play it forward with the ones i make :)

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Welcome from Canada 🇨🇦 eh!

Sounds like you got the equipment down.

I imagine you have already done some reading on how to grow weed, but if you haven’t, there is some really good info at growweedeasy.com and recently I found some good stuff at cocoforcannabis.com, which includes some useful advice about growing in coco specifically.

The most important thing you will have to pay attention to is the environment your plants are in, including light, temperature, humidity, airflow, nutrients and PH.

That’s a lot. If you can’t find the answers your looking for, you’ll always find someone here that will be able to help.

I’ll be lurking on your journal.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
certain strains can tend to favor specific conditions or have vulnerabilities
Just thought of something that would specifically apply to your question.

Be carefull in during palliative care of long flowering plants. Essentially, these ones need to be 'tucked into the grave'
After you spend months caring for their every need, it is time to start diminishing those conditions.

You kinda need to facilitate their demise, or they will keep plugging along.
Get rough with them , chill them out, shorten up the days length, as you approach the finish line.
I foolishly gave this a one a healthy feed in the 7 week.
It went from near harvestable back to vigorous.
Had to wait another few weeks.
20190620_222042.jpg
Polished hybrids seem to finish up. Some uncultured sativa dont know when to quit.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Just thought of something that would specifically apply to your question.

Be carefull in during palliative care of long flowering plants. Essentially, these ones need to be 'tucked into the grave'
After you spend months caring for their every need, it is time to start diminishing those conditions.

You kinda need to facilitate their demise, or they will keep plugging along.
Get rough with them , chill them out, shorten up the days length, as you approach the finish line.
I foolishly gave this a one a healthy feed in the 7 week.
It went from near harvestable back to vigorous.
Had to wait another few weeks.
View attachment 25153
Polished hybrids seem to finish up. Some uncultured sativa dont know when to quit.
good info, especially since I’m a Sativa guy, through and through. I was reading about a strain of acupulco gold from mass medical that supposedly has like a 16-24 week flower? Holy shit lol.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Hello all, I am new to the world of indoor gardening, as well as to this forum. I am getting ready to start my first grow, after much research I’ve got everything I need, just hoping to get a little strain specific information in terms of parameters of the grow tent.

I am growing in a 4x4x7 gorilla grow tent With a 480w HLG-550. Growing in Coco, using Dynagro as my nutes. keeping it relatively simple, with Foliage Pro, Protekt and Mag-Pro throughout veg, and Bloom, Protekt and Pro-mag through bloom, as well as weekly recharge treatments up until the last few weeks of flower.

I’m ordering a variety of seeds right now so that once I get the right equipment, I can start creating my own seeds and crosses as well, but I’ve narrowed down my first grow to one of two strains that I have or will have by the time I start. My first grow will either be ’Chocolate Diesel S1‘ from Useful Seeds, or ‘Chem Dog 91 S1’ from CSI:Humboldt. I’m leaning more towards the Choc for my first grow, as I am a huge diesel fan, although I know that CSI genetics are known for being insanely hardy compared to other breeders, so if the Chem Dog would be an easier grow for a new grower, ill go that way. I have heard good things about useful seeds genetics as well, just not nearly as much info out there on them.

Excuse my rambling, I struggle with that, But my question is this. Are there any growers on this forum who have grown either one of these strains from these breeders before? If so, what kind of temps, humidity etc do these plants like? Once I get going, I plan on documenting the whole grow and posting updates on here, I am super excited to grow my own medicine. My state has only had medical marijuana for a little over a year, and it can still be pricey finding flower that meets my high standards, so growing seems like the better option, spending more on flower each month than I do my rent, isn’t cutting it.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Welcome, sounds like you have a nice setup and are ready to grow. I've done some breeding with Sour Diesel and I just finished a seed table of Shoreline GMO X Chem 91. Neither are by your breeder and neither had any particular requirements. They were simple, straight forward plants. I don't think you can go wrong with either strain.

I have used DynaGro products and enjoy their Foliage Pro. I kept having their Bloom precipitate but even when it did my plants still fared well but that's why I went back to GH Flora series for Bloom but I still use Foliage Pro in veg. I grow in 50/50 Coco/Perlite.

Good luck on your grow
Best of luck, get your seeds started and ask as questions turn up.