Gotta learn some time

HibbityJibbity

Morning!

Well I've spent enough time in the grower's den, time to move up to learning about genetics and manipulation. Long time grower that stopped for a few years. Enough to see everything I knew get replaced with updated with new bro science and some real science thrown in. The new strains and genetics coming out are amazing compared to what we had to do back in the 80's.

ANYWAY, looking to find some knowledge about cultivar selection, what to look for in the crosses and how to spot problems in a breeding program. I gotta be in the right place!

See you out there!

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Morning!

Well I've spent enough time in the grower's den, time to move up to learning about genetics and manipulation. Long time grower that stopped for a few years. Enough to see everything I knew get replaced with updated with new bro science and some real science thrown in. The new strains and genetics coming out are amazing compared to what we had to do back in the 80's.

ANYWAY, looking to find some knowledge about cultivar selection, what to look for in the crosses and how to spot problems in a breeding program. I gotta be in the right place!

See you out there!
Morning. Cultivar selection is a preference of the grower. To choose the right cultivar you need to decide what is best for you, your setup, and your future goals.

HibbityJibbity

Morning. Cultivar selection is a preference of the grower. To choose the right cultivar you need to decide what is best for you, your setup, and your future goals.
I think I'm using the wrong term there. I'd like to learn how to select strains for breeding in terms of what to look for back down the breeding line to help determine which traits might be reinforced or reduced in a specific cross. Before actually attempting anything I'd like to learn what may be a waste to attempt to cross etc. Took me a while to now barely understand the cookie line and it's effects.

Just off the top of my head, I was considering trying a bruce banner/dos is dos cross. Would I need the entire lineage all the way down the line to determine whether the cross will fail and would having the entire lineage be a help in determining which traits will stick around?

As for goals this is all personal. I'd like to create and stabilize something I haven't seen around so much yet. Unless the reason I haven't seen it around is because it doesn't work :/

I have a few tents in a couple different rooms so I can isolate and maintain separation depending on how I end up going about things.

Last edited:

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I think I'm using the wrong term there. I'd like to learn how to select strains for breeding in terms of what to look for back down the breeding line to help determine which traits might be reinforced or reduced in a specific cross. Before actually attempting anything I'd like to learn what may be a waste to attempt to cross etc. Took me a while to now barely understand the cookie line and it's effects.

Just off the top of my head, I was considering trying a bruce banner/dos is dos cross. Would I need the entire lineage all the way down the line to determine whether the cross will fail and would having the entire lineage be a help in determining which traits will stick around?

As for goals this is all personal. I'd like to create and stabilize something I haven't seen around so much yet. Unless the reason I haven't seen it around is because it doesn't work :/

I have a few tents in a couple different rooms so I can isolate and maintain separation depending on how I end up going about things.
Well someone should have the information you are looking for.

Last edited:

HibbityJibbity

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Welcome to chuckers man.you a soil or salt kinda guy? Have a favorite cut or any that stood out in the past or present?
Soil since birth. Been around a few hydro grows and it's not my thing. My favorite cut...mmmmm..... I'd have to put that on whatever it was I got as "government weed" back when I was a kid. I only saw it around once, and the story was that it was government grown weed for glaucoma patients. It came in a decent sized test tube, about 1 inch by 7 inches, had a black rubber stopper on it and they even took the extra step of putting an ATF seal over the rubber stopper and glass to make it look legit. That was the first time I ever saw green bud and about 9 or 10 buds of the exact same size stuffed neatly into the tube. Zero seed, stem only to hold the flower onto something. Buds were about 1" around. No pistil hairs. I don't really recall the buzz actually but it was the entire presentation that makes me remember it. We were mostly smoking "Colombian" or just some other ditch weed when I was a kid. The same brick weed most of the US was smoking back in the 70's 80's. You smoked whatever you got because back then even though you'd look at it, smell it and mess with it you knew you were taking it regardless because it wasn't easy getting it back then.

Today, like most of you guys here I've blown through so many cuts I don't remember much specifically. I don't usually have a preference these days as I can consume any time of day any day. So even though I used to consider myself an indica guy I've forced myself to work through as much as I can to find what I like and when. The only two things I've grown I wasn't real happy with was some GDP and some Gelato. Both were bulk seed. The GDP had really low pheno variability and grew perfectly but the stone is low activity for me, both physical and head. The Gelato was 9 plants and I swear I had 9 different phenos. The one thing all those phenos had in common was the psychedelic / narcotic stone. Also not my cup of tea. I can't fall asleep while tripping.

For a good all around high from today's strains I'd have to say anything evenly balanced. Different smoke for different parts of the day. Like now I have to go do some yard work so I'll burn up some Mimosa and zone out.