Going from 12/12 to 18/6?

Macncheesehaze

I was thinking can I start an auto off with 12/12 light, with the idea that it will have more darkness to grow a larger root zone and then switch it to 18/6 when it starts to flower. Bigger roots usually mean a bigger plant. What do you guys think? Am I just super baked or does this sound like it would work

I was thinking can I start an auto off with 12/12 light, with the idea that it will have more darkness to grow a larger root zone and then switch it to 18/6 when it starts to flower. Bigger roots usually mean a bigger plant. What do you guys think? Am I just super baked or does this sound like it would work
You're super baked. Leave it 18/6 start to finish.

While I certainly agree with the notion "Big Root Big Fruit" I don't think adjusting your light cycle on an auto is best way to achieve that. The less you mess with an autos light cycle the better imho.

Macncheesehaze

Th
Hell man, go on and give it a shot on a couple plants and see what happens. If you could share your results(bumper harvest/crap harvest) in this thread that would be sweet. (y)
That’s kinda what I was thinking, people do pheno hunts with photos and do things to them to stress them out to see which one is more hardy, I don’t see why you couldn’t do that with autos, just toughen them up maybe? Of course this is my first round back in the tent that first plant is gonna be for smoke lol

Streetpro09

Tester
Th

That’s kinda what I was thinking, people do pheno hunts with photos and do things to them to stress them out to see which one is more hardy, I don’t see why you couldn’t do that with autos, just toughen them up maybe? Of course this is my first round back in the tent that first plant is gonna be for smoke lol
If you really wanted to see if it made a difference, (The light cycle) then you need to do a side by side comparison. Otherwise it's just a cool story.

Why experiment when the first plant is gonna be for personal smoke? Why wouldn't you just do what's tried and true, for auto's, and know what will happen?

Not Given

Has chucked
Try to simulate nature, so think about the natural light conditions where the Eskimos domesticated it.

Macncheesehaze

Try to simulate nature, so think about the natural light conditions where the Eskimos domesticated it.
I actually tried to research the hours they would get where they originated but autos have come a long way, especially with indoor. Idk if I’m willing to experiment too much since I’m just starting my tent back up

Vee

Ancient Member
I actually tried to research the hours they would get where they originated but autos have come a long way, especially with indoor. Idk if I’m willing to experiment too much since I’m just starting my tent back up
Id get some time in your tent before you try things out, the easiest is 18/6 or mine 20/4, that way you know what to expect
keep in mind the clock on autos is always running and at best you have 3 weeks veg most just 2 weeks, at which I bomb mine with light or perhaps cross with photos to get very fast growing photos indeed....consider? \\cheers

Vee

Ancient Member
That's my main issue growing auto's indoors. Best way to grow them is to use a lot more electricity than you would with a photoperiod.
I got a buddy whose very tight with cash, a cfl for 2 weeks at seedling then hits them with a hps for a month then back to the cfl's.
for the last 2-3 weeks back to the hps, he claims a saving of 50% over me (20/4 constant) with his a little shorter but about the same weight

Im tight with my photos they get 10x14 dark instead the 12x12 norm but I gotta go another 2 weeks to match the 12x12 quality (its a lifestyle thing)
meanwhile Im toking autos ...keep in mind the plant grows in light? but makes the thc in the dark

cheers

I got a buddy whose very tight with cash, a cfl for 2 weeks at seedling then hits them with a hps for a month then back to the cfl's.
for the last 2-3 weeks back to the hps, he claims a saving of 50% over me (20/4 constant) with his a little shorter but about the same weight

Im tight with my photos they get 10x14 dark instead the 12x12 norm but I gotta go another 2 weeks to match the 12x12 quality (its a lifestyle thing)
meanwhile Im toking autos ...keep in mind the plant grows in light? but makes the thc in the dark

cheers
Stoner thoughts... Run a small veg tent with a 12on/5off/1on/5off light schedule(aka 12/1 or Gas Lantern Routine) and fill it with a couple of your favorite fast and frosty photo mom plants and grow them to the their nodes offset and then take some cuts. Veg those cuts for 2 weeks then but them in their own 10/14 flower tent for 8 weeks. That's about as energy friendly a method I can think of and once you had a mom rocking and rolling you could prepetually fill your flower tent with new cuts every 8 weeks. That would actually be 2 weeks quicker than running 10+ week autos but you would have the real deal Holyfield photos instead.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

cheers
I have an extra timer-button of dark on both veg and bloom. But where I live electricity is cheap. For my plants getting a little extra dark, it's because I heard it was better for the plants, and the explanation made sense. Changed my timers and haven't looked back. Don't even remember all the reasoning, just no reason to change back.

For the auto's it is more the principle of the thing. The "seed of the future" requires that indoor growers commit more "carbon footprint sin" :ROFLMAO: than those running photperiods that are easy to make more of for the home grower - vs something that can't be trained or cloned.

For me it would be regulated to a cash-crop or an ornamental with benefits outside. I won't buy any, but they show up as freebies occasionally.