Flushing Plants Before Harvest Is Unnecessary says Rx Green Tech

Vee

Ancient Member
INTRODUCTION
Taste and combustion qualities of Cannabis are dependent on the chemical characteristics of the flower. These chemical characteristics can be influenced by management practices during the growing cycle. For this reason, many Cannabis growers implement a flushing period where only water is fed to plants in the final days to weeks before harvest. While many cultivators attest to the effects of a flush, no scientific studies have been conducted to validate this practice. Rx Green Technologies has undertaken a first of its kind study to determine the influence of different flushing times on the chemical profile, flavor, and combustion characteristics of Cannabis flower.

SUMMARY
Rx Green Technologies evaluated the effects of different flushing times on chemical profile, flavor, and smoking characteristics in Cannabis flower.
  • Flushing periods of 14, 10, 7 and 0 days were imposed on Cherry Diesel.
  • No differences were detected between flush treatments for yield, potency, or terpenes.
  • Analysis of mineral content of leaves indicated small changes in content of iron and zinc.
  • Taste test panelists tended to prefer flower flushed for 0 days.

RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
Visual differences in fan leaves between flushing times were apparent the day before harvest. Plants flushed for ten or 14 days had leaves that were more yellow, necrotic and dry than plants flushed for zero or seven days (Figure 1a-d). The color of the 14 and ten day flushed leaves indicates a greater breakdown of chlorophyll in the plant, leading to reduced greenness

Figure 1. Fan leaves collected from Cherry Diesel plants the day before harvest. Flushing times depicted are (a) 14 days, (b) 10 days, (c) 7 days, and (d) 0 days.

FULL PDF HERE: https://www.rxgreentechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/FlushingTimes_TrialReport.pdf

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Popular results causing a stir with the noobs on Riu and others, why not here ... download and read ...keep up to speed! lol
Not only are you browning the weed unnecessarily (that's what the cure is for). you are depriving them of nutes during the plumping stage if you start early.

There's probably another article out there about the residuals from foliar sprays. If something says not to use it in flower ask why. If it is because spraying flowers might cause moisture issues then fine. If it's because you don't want that shit on something you are smoking then it's a no-go.

The two are related because of celular microbiology. If you put chemicals on the plant via either the roots or the leaves, it is absorbed.
Flush or bud-wash all you want, most of it doesn't leave the plant. The 'positive' effect of smoother smoke people claim after a flush compared to not flushing is because it is curing on the vine. The loss of chlorophyll is all you need to see for that part to make sense.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This reports says the testers found the I flushed plants smoother.
The other thing is that you are just flushing the soil, not the plant.
It is nutrient depravation.
It is killing the plant by starvation.
It is curing the plant before you even chop it - this makes the smoke smoother than a side by side that wasn't flushed because of the chlorophyl and other natural stuff that is already chemically changed in the anorexia plant, but it will take a few weeks to a month for the healthy plant that has not begun to cure. Extrapolated that means it will always be a month more cured than the other one. Not better, just tasting older, and probably not as good as it could have been.

If you feed with salts you must continue to feed with salts because your roots are not sending out microbes to find more food like mine are.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The other side of that is that organic growing I have seen smaller yields. Everything so far has been exceptional quality in the buzz department, taste, smell, etc. But if I was growing for weight to sell this would not be the way to go unless you found the right bulk strain.

Since I only grow headstash I'm cool with the trade-off.

Saving money on nutes is about the only plus I see listed above.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
The other thing is that you are just flushing the soil, not the plant.
It is nutrient depravation.
It is killing the plant by starvation.
It is curing the plant before you even chop it - this makes the smoke smoother than a side by side that wasn't flushed because of the chlorophyl and other natural stuff that is already chemically changed in the anorexia plant, but it will take a few weeks to a month for the healthy plant that has not begun to cure. Extrapolated that means it will always be a month more cured than the other one. Not better, just tasting older, and probably not as good as it could have been.

If you feed with salts you must continue to feed with salts because your roots are not sending out microbes to find more food like mine are.
I edited my post because it should have said the testers found the UNFLUSHED plants smoother.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Having spent my whole life growing gorilla outdoor In a rural area I had never heard of flushing until I started playing indoors I struggled with depriving the girls the last couple weeks but I gave it a go I couldn't notice any difference so I abandoned doing it I know there are those that will argue this until the cows come home