Fish in a res?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Large scale would be easier i think. Keeping an enclosed system (aquarium) you will have to balance nitrogen nitrate and ammonia in addition to the life cycle of cannabis would be different than rice.

But it would be pretty cool if you could grow...say tilapia and cannabis...then you could cook the fish when they get big enough and slather them in bud butter.

Large scale would be easier i think. Keeping an enclosed system (aquarium) you will have to balance nitrogen nitrate and ammonia in addition to the life cycle of cannabis would be different than rice.

But it would be pretty cool if you could grow...say tilapia and cannabis...then you could cook the fish when they get big enough and slather them in bud butter.
Would the fish not oxygenate the water as well? I legit think I am going to give this a go.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I would love to see it. :)

You could grow surf and turf in the same thing.

The nitrites build to toxic levels in aquariums from their excrement and food...so maybe some of that is neutrilized by the plant growth or you just do water swaps....that is how aquariums work too.

If you’re talking smaller than one of those big square totes that fish come in it’s probably not there yet but I’m sure it’s doable :D
I was thinking of something like minows or gold fish on a 5 gallon res but then I know I would need other micro life to support the rest. My plan is an entire grow without dropping a single thing in the water...

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I would go with platys...they can withstand a really large range of temps and can live in some harsh conditions.

they breed fast too.

white cloud minnows and zebra danios would be stellar too....they are introducery fish and can ;put up with a lot of fluctuations.

platy.jpg
You can get them in bulk...one fish makes a lot of babies.

I would go with platys...they can withstand a really large range of temps and can live in some harsh conditions.

they breed fast too.
I am looking to see what fish has what in their poop. Hows your day going LOL....I'll have to look into them as well. I am sure it is possible but actually getting there. That's a different ball game.

It wouldn't be worth the hassle . I feel like if u put a worm in ur pot it be a similar comparison
My one DWC plant made me never want to use soil ever again and I am actually quite mad that I didnt make the jump a while ago. While I may keep a soil plant here and there....DWC is the way for me now. I wanted to go RDWC but since I run multis...I didnt want nutes to be a problem.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
My one DWC plant made me never want to use soil ever again and I am actually quite mad that I didnt make the jump a while ago. While I may keep a soil plant here and there....DWC is the way for me now. I wanted to go RDWC but since I run multis...I didnt want nutes to be a problem.
It's root growth can be phenomenal I don't blame u

Proud420

If you want to go the whole aquaponic way you would need to go back to an organic cycle, the bigger the better because it will be more stable.
They will mainly produce N more anything else so maybe not the best only input for flower, but a couple a gold fish in a dark tank could be a nice boost in veg . You will need to feed them and study a bit of the N cycle. The goldfishes maybe be a consumables too .

As Sfrigon said if you want a water only cycle it is easier to go with a living soil... Less trouble