First time using a carbon filter

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I’ve got two AC Infinity inline fans running off the same temp/humidity controller, once as exhaust and one as intake. Now, for space, I was planning on putting the fans on the outside of the tent. To do this in combination with my phresh filter, Can I mount the filter on the other end of the exhaust fan, for the fan to push air through? Should I mount the filter inside the tent and run ducting from the filter to the fan outside of the tent, or do I need to have the filter on the inside end of my exhaust fan, where I’m pretty much stuck putting both inside the tent?

thanks in advance for any help

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I’ve got two AC Infinity inline fans running off the same temp/humidity controller, once as exhaust and one as intake. Now, for space, I was planning on putting the fans on the outside of the tent. To do this in combination with my phresh filter, Can I mount the filter on the other end of the exhaust fan, for the fan to push air through? Should I mount the filter inside the tent and run ducting from the filter to the fan outside of the tent, or do I need to have the filter on the inside end of my exhaust fan, where I’m pretty much stuck putting both inside the tent?

I believe the filters are designed to be in the tent and “sucked on” from the fan with exhaust exiting the building or at least the room to keep temps down. . That is ideal, but some do “blow” through the filters.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy

@iShatterBladderz make sure you check your single pass rating on your filter for correct odor control. Example of that would be my last grow i was using a exhaust fan rated at 400 cfm. My carbon filter a 6x24 only had a single pass rating of 200 cfm. I was running the exhaust fan wide open to try and control heat.
So with that being said i was pulling twice as much air thru the filter as i should have been pulling and was not doing a good job with the odor control.

This is how I do mine:

I drop my 30 pound Whisperquiet right on top of my 400 cfm Phresh filter. The fan is 340 cfm cooling a 600 watt Hortilux hps running @ 660 watts. The air is pushed thru the filter and recirculated into the room with cool fresh air.

fanfilt 001.JPG

I then connect the duct thru the side of the tent right onto my Blockbuster 6" reflector.

fanfilt 002.JPG

I now have a ton of room inside my tent for reflector and circulation fans.

fanfilt2 001.JPG

Two 6" circulation fans get the air moving in both directions.

fanfilt2 002.JPG

I pull fresh air thru the other side of tent using the upper and lower vents. This way I have incoming fresh air from both levels.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Thanks for all the feedback guys! So after posting this, I had a realization that I feel stupid for not realizing earlier. I did not realize the “sock” that I always see on top of carbon filters, was the “pre-filter” Phresh mention in their product description. I was thinking there is some kind of profiler on the inside of the filter, but knowing it sits on the outside, it seems the most efficient way to do this would be to pull through the intake, otherwise none of the particulates will go through the prefilter before going through the phresh filter.

so my plan, I am going to mount the phresh filter inside of the tent, right up in the duct hole, then I will run ducting to the exhaust fan that will be hanging on the outside of the tent. My intake fan will be running through the duct hole directly diagonal from my exhaust, I will put the fan outside of the tent and just run a small stretch of duct into the duct hole so that it doesnt take up any floor space. Both exhaust and intake will be running off of my AC Infinity temp/humidity controller.

@Capt C Both my fan and filter are rated up to 400 CFM, mroe than what I need but I would rather run my fans at a slower speed than to have fans smaller than what I need them for.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Thanks for all the feedback guys! So after posting this, I had a realization that I feel stupid for not realizing earlier. I did not realize the “sock” that I always see on top of carbon filters, was the “pre-filter” Phresh mention in their product description. I was thinking there is some kind of profiler on the inside of the filter, but knowing it sits on the outside, it seems the most efficient way to do this would be to pull through the intake, otherwise none of the particulates will go through the prefilter before going through the phresh filter.

so my plan, I am going to mount the phresh filter inside of the tent, right up in the duct hole, then I will run ducting to the exhaust fan that will be hanging on the outside of the tent. My intake fan will be running through the duct hole directly diagonal from my exhaust, I will put the fan outside of the tent and just run a small stretch of duct into the duct hole so that it doesnt take up any floor space. Both exhaust and intake will be running off of my AC Infinity temp/humidity controller.

@Capt C Both my fan and filter are rated up to 400 CFM, mroe than what I need but I would rather run my fans at a slower speed than to have fans smaller than what I need them for.
Yes that is all you have to do is slow the fan speed down. What size filter do yo have? I suspect that is the over all rating and not the single pass rating.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
That filter has a single pass rating of 200 cfm. You should be just right at about 50% power with your fan for the filter to be effective. Also if possible duct the exhaust outside of the house.
well that’s perfect, CFM for my tent is just under 200. It’s technically possible to exhaust outside, but would be a lot of work so I’m not even going to attempt that unless exhausting inside becomes a problem.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I have to operate under extreme stealth so i understand. Remember the 200 cfm is max rating. If you do not need it to exhaust heat drop it down to a 100 cfm.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

I'd just like to note that there's no reason for an intake fan. It doesn't increase the exhaust's fan capacity or performance. imho

Cap, where are you getting these single pass ratings? None of the filter websites have that info.
I found this on the Phat filter website that verifies what you are saying:

http://www.phatfilter.com/what-size-phat-filter-do-i-need

I'll be a son of a bitch. No wonder why the new Can-lite 6 x 16 didn't work in my room. But for some weird reason the Phresh filter, same size and same CFM, last a hell of a lot longer and work twice as good as the Can-lite.

Well next time I get the 6 x 24 Phresh. I bet it lasts even longer. No wonder the Hydro shop guys want you to match CFM with fan and filter. This way you will have to replace filters much faster.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I found this on the Phat filter website that verifies what you are saying:

http://www.phatfilter.com/what-size-phat-filter-do-i-need

I'll be a son of a bitch. No wonder why the new Can-lite 6 x 16 didn't work in my room. But for some weird reason the Phresh filter, same size and same CFM, last a hell of a lot longer and work twice as good as the Can-lite.

Well next time I get the 6 x 24 Phresh. I bet it lasts even longer. No wonder the Hydro shop guys want you to match CFM with fan and filter. This way you will have to replace filters much faster.
Yes that is were the info came from. I was having a bit of a issue stinking up the neighbor hood. @Jesselikes2Grow got me strait on it. For me to run my 4oo cfm exhaust i went to a 10 x 24 which still only had the SPR of around 350 cfm. That filter is huge like over 40 lbs.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I'd just like to note that there's no reason for an intake fan. It doesn't increase the exhaust's fan capacity or performance. imho
Yeah, I think I am going to go ahead and return the intake fan. I decided to go with the 6x24 presh filter so i can run my fan at fasters speeds if needed and not have to worry about odor coming out, as I will probably leave the controller in smart mode. If I run my cloud line t6 as exhaust pulling through a 6x24 phresh filter, do you think I could get away with using one 10” intake duct? I really don’t want to have intake on both sides nor mess with the flaps, but my ports are only 11”

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Poor postal worker!
My postal worker figured out that I smoked through some of the stuff I had gotten delivered, and then when he asked why i was getting so much liquid in the mail ( had ordered a gallon each of DynaGro Foliage-Pro, Bloom, Mag-Pro and ProTekt as well as a quart of KLN, their enzyme product and their flush product. When i told them they were plant fertilizers, before even confirming that I smoked or anything he said “oh, you should let me know when it harvests, i deserve a smoke break for all the stuff I haul up this driveway for you” lol.

Since then, I’ve smoked with him probably 4 or 5 times.