First experience with Rosin Press

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Not bad, not bad I might say. Strain was purple haze. 1.5 gram 220 degrees 82 seconds. Not much shatter but used scraper and got a solid 3-4 hits. High is good 8.5/10.

mid there a trick to getting more juice out?

View attachment 26766
View attachment 26761View attachment 26762View attachment 26763View attachment 26764View attachment 26765
Looks like a pretty normal yield without weighting it . The humidity of the product you are pressing has a LOT to do with yield. Under ideal condition 25% ish would be about the best you can hope for. Also can be very strain specific. Not sure if you were doing this but when i pull the parchment paper from the press it goes right into the freezer for about 3-5 minuets makes it so much easier to get off the parchment paper. I try to get the biggest puck i can to fit in between the plates. Looks tasty!

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
The trick is humidity and great material. Dialing in the temp too for what you like.

For 1.5 grams at a really good press you would get .3 grams of rosin. That is at 20% return.

You just have to dick around with it and see what works. But put the 1.5 grams in a jar with a boveda and it will press more. Save the pucks after you press and when you get a bunch infuse them in butter or coconut oil for edibles.

:)

The more you press rosin the more you will figure out how to get good yield at lower temps for the tasty stuff and then turn it up and get the black grunt. People buy that shit for 35 a gram and think its GREAT.

That first press of rosin is AMAZING! if the temp is lower and you give it time to squeeze. Terpy wonderful high strength concentrate. Rosin and Hash are the best there are in my opinion.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
The trick is humidity and great material. Dialing in the temp too for what you like.

For 1.5 grams at a really good press you would get .3 grams of rosin. That is at 20% return.

You just have to dick around with it and see what works. But put the 1.5 grams in a jar with a boveda and it will press more. Save the pucks after you press and when you get a bunch infuse them in butter or coconut oil for edibles.

:)

The more you press rosin the more you will figure out how to get good yield at lower temps for the tasty stuff and then turn it up and get the black grunt. People buy that shit for 35 a gram and think its GREAT.

That first press of rosin is AMAZING! if the temp is lower and you give it time to squeeze. Terpy wonderful high strength concentrate. Rosin and Hash are the best there are in my opinion.
What i really like about the rosin ( when my lungs can handle it) is you get that good taste on just about every draw. What temps are you running and time is your favorite @gwheels

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I am using a dulytech press and 208F for 3 minutes with fresh dried product. Like 5 days in the dryer and press it. At around 2 minutes it starts really squeezing out the juice.

I find the terps are the loudest right there. And I cant wait 7 days!

At that exact RH of bud i do not need a boveda. And the rosin is golden or pink or amber according to strain etc.

I might save up for a bigger rosin press. A press a button and it does the shit kind. But until then I will use the made in USA workhorse. Solid serious equipment for the serious stoner who just wants some personal. I make pucks with a kief grinder like you have @PokerJay1983 (1 1/4 diam).

And for this unit i have to press the puck stop press the puck stop and then give it so it gets the pressure it needs to squeeze out the goodness. Maybe I should make smaller pucks.

I got 20% return on the last pressing i did with a Heisenbean. It took me a lot of pressing to get to there and you need some greasy buds to make some greasy rosin!

iam-warning-you-sir-i-know-kung-fu-31559750.png
Here are a pair of pucks. I got just over 4 grams of rosin out of them. The smaller one (skeleton cookies) produced more than the larger one (purple cake).
Skeleton Cookies was pretty frosty.
DSCF2661.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I am using a dulytech press and 208F for 3 minutes with fresh dried product. Like 5 days in the dryer and press it. At around 2 minutes it starts really squeezing out the juice.

I find the terps are the loudest right there. And I cant wait 7 days!

At that exact RH of bud i do not need a boveda. And the rosin is golden or pink or amber according to strain etc.

I might save up for a bigger rosin press. A press a button and it does the shit kind. But until then I will use the made in USA workhorse. Solid serious equipment for the serious stoner who just wants some personal. I make pucks with a kief grinder like you have @PokerJay1983 (1 1/4 diam).

And for this unit i have to press the puck stop press the puck stop and then give it so it gets the pressure it needs to squeeze out the goodness. Maybe I should make smaller pucks.

I got 20% return on the last pressing i did with a Heisenbean. It took me a lot of pressing to get to there and you need some greasy buds to make some greasy rosin!

View attachment 26768
I am right there with you on temps. I have only been pressing for 2 minuets . I did go 3 min on a previous press and it was SOME kind of tacky. I had a hard time collecting it. I thought it was because i pressed to long but i see that you do that time frame a lot so maybe that was not the problem.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
When you press it put the sheet in the freezer (fold it in half). Press the next one. When you get the frozen sheet you can grab it on a tool by rolling it around. It is more viscous than liquid.

Once I have a glob i use a lighter to get it to liquefy into my silicone jar,
but keep the glob on the tool until you get it all. It is attracted to itself by stickiness. Slap it on that rosin and it grabs on the ball.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
When you press it put the sheet in the freezer (fold it in half). Press the next one. When you get the frozen sheet you can grab it on a tool by rolling it around. It is more viscous than liquid.

Once I have a glob i use a lighter to get it to liquefy into my silicone jar,
but keep the glob on the tool until you get it all. It is attracted to itself by stickiness. Slap it on that rosin and it grabs on the ball.
I do the freezer part . Man that is good tip on transferring to the silicone container. I always struggled on that part.

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
I'm only a flower guy,but know a thing or 2 from listening too my son about rosin.You want your product at least 60% humidity,62% boveda is perfect👌How much you yield is totally strain and pheno dependant.You can have resin caked nugs not yield much..its just the luck of the draw🤷‍♂️Try to keep temp down so you dont get darker resin as well.Old flower will be oxidized,and make for darker rosin.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Also you are pressing rosin not shatter. Shatter is another animal all together.
Shatter is pressed correct?
Rosin is pressed?
Resin is the shit that comes out of my bowl black as tar? I used to smoke the shit and get a realbad headache. But times were tough in my early 20s. Moved to Florida. Key West, it was beautiful but less than ideal for meeting others on the dL but it was cool.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Shatter is pressed correct?
Rosin is pressed?
Resin is the shit that comes out of my bowl black as tar? I used to smoke the shit and get a realbad headache. But times were tough in my early 20s. Moved to Florida. Key West, it was beautiful but less than ideal for meeting others on the dL but it was cool.
Rosin is pressed and shatter is a different extraction process like butane and others as well.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Shatter can be butane or co extracted. Rosin is just heat and pressure.
Live resin is a different product similar to rosin but more like chunky wax and it is pressed green so its very terpy.
There are others too based on method of extraction and everything.
I looked it up and @stiickygreen is correct. The difference between live rein and other extracted products is the live resin is extracted from living plants that were flash frozen then processed with all of those chemicals like butane etc. @gwheels have you tried pressing a green plant?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Live resin is a butane extract of fresh frozen product.
Hash or Rosin are easier to produce clean because there are no solvents. I always wanted a turbokraft but it is crazy expensive and my rosin press foots the bill :D and hash..wow that is my new new favorite thing !

Shatter at an industrial scale is also no solvents. The big producers use a CO2 extraction machine.