Fcuk Rocks Organics soil.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I don't usually put this much effort into bashing a company. Then again, I don't usually have to put this much effort into preparing my "ready to use!" soil.
IMG_7386.JPG
"plant it right in the cute camouflaged bag!" then maybe you won't see the shit we hide in there... This is the second bag like this, so it is not an anomaly. Noticed that I had to break up 'clods' when I was doing a repot, and found a rock. I just ran this 1.5cuft bag through a half-inch grid and got this out of it.
IMG_7387.JPG
If this is supposed to be such a great soil mix, with all the extra nutrients and stuff in it, which nutrients are in the clay balls with rocks and sticks in the middle? I 'grated" the clods over the half-inch, then a quarter inch grid, and got this
IMG_7388.JPG
I get that there will be some sticks in the soil, I would prefer they not be logs. I rinsed that mess off with a hose and got this
IMG_7390.JPG

I am tempted to put them in a rock-tumbler, shine them up and send them back to the company...

In conclusion, no matter how great a company is, you cannot live on reputation. Quality control is also crucial.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I don't usually put this much effort into bashing a company. Then again, I don't usually have to put this much effort into preparing my "ready to use!" soil.
View attachment 57919
"plant it right in the cute camouflaged bag!" then maybe you won't see the shit we hide in there... This is the second bag like this, so it is not an anomaly. Noticed that I had to break up 'clods' when I was doing a repot, and found a rock. I just ran this 1.5cuft bag through a half-inch grid and got this out of it.
View attachment 57920
If this is supposed to be such a great soil mix, with all the extra nutrients and stuff in it, which nutrients are in the clay balls with rocks and sticks in the middle? I 'grated" the clods over the half-inch, then a quarter inch grid, and got this
View attachment 57921
I get that there will be some sticks in the soil, I would prefer they not be logs. I rinsed that mess off with a hose and got this
View attachment 57922

I am tempted to put them in a rock-tumbler, shine them up and send them back to the company...

In conclusion, no matter how great a company is, you cannot live on reputation. Quality control is also crucial.
Glad u did this man 🤘

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
My plants have been growing fine in it - but this kind of stuff just pisses me off.
I'm sure it is fine especially at your caliber, but man it just nice to know. Been using promix for a while now and started buying it at Depot. It's cheap af and it's because it's not the same. I noticed that it's a much finer product . Def not as good .

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm sure it is fine especially at your caliber, but man it just nice to know. Been using promix for a while now and started buying it at Depot. It's cheap af and it's because it's not the same. I noticed that it's a much finer product . Def not as good .
:ROFLMAO: thank you sir! "My caliber" is about a step above newb, but I've been growing stuff in soil my whole life. Before I use this I'll mix the stuff from around the rocks back in because it looked fine.

Don't have the Pro-Mix local, and they want too much for it on-line, but that was the other option I was looking at.

D

Deleted member 60

Wow. Amazing. There's a lot of chaff in the Happy Frog as well but it seems to be a "bit" more aged than what appears to be fresh clippings from the owners back hedgerow in that bag you showed. OF/HF sure isn't perfect but I've never found any garbage in it like that. Thanks for taking the time and showing the inconsistencies.

But...yeah....good thing that bag is camo'd so nobody sees it at yer secret grow spot....

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
:ROFLMAO: thank you sir! "My caliber" is about a step above newb, but I've been growing stuff in soil my whole life. Before I use this I'll mix the stuff from around the rocks back in because it looked fine.

Don't have the Pro-Mix local, and they want too much for it on-line, but that was the other option I was looking at.
I drive forty miles to Menards to get my promix, I shit when I seen those shipping prices online, don't cost that to drive and git it. It's the best bang for the buck, IMHO

Attachments

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Up here i can get happy frog and ocean forest...i love the shit if im doing outdoor soil potted plants.

And this year i cut it with a bit of the old soil....a bit of some peat moss and that shit is loose and airy and ready for some monsters.

Just my 2 cents...but i know people that love that roots organics...it comes with aerators built in....aka rocks lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just my 2 cents...but i know people that love that roots organics...it comes with aerators built in....aka rocks lol
I've been growing plants in it just fine. But I've always had to break it up. I just didn't notice that the clods contained rocks until I found a large one. Then curiosity kicked in

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And I just crumbled it in my hands and didn't pay attention really, never went through the trouble of this or I would have switched earlier.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I was to take a wild guess, it probably wasn't always like this. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change in management at some level.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
GREEN FIELDS

INGREDIENTS
Composted Forest Material, Peat Moss, Perlite, Coco Fiber, Pumice, Worm Castings, Crab Meal, Feather Meal, Fish Meal, Bat Guano, Soybean Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Kelp Meal
. Also contains beneficial microbes: Funneliformis mosseae, Rhizophagus intraradices, Septoglomus desertícola to enhance uptake of plant nutrients, increase roots biomass, and help container grown plants resist stress

Composted Forest Material - Composted Wood
Pumice - volcanic rock that consists of highly vesicular rough textured volcanic glass

@H.A.F. Stop sifting your amendments out of the soil........

Pick up the book "Teaming With Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels - You’ll discover that healthy soil is teeming with life—not just earthworms and insects, but a staggering multitude of bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms that require different material present in our container soils to thrive.

Have you noticed that nutrient company's want you to use a bacteria and fungal inoculant on your off water days every week. This is to repopulate the substrate with these bacteria and fungi because they know that they cant survive for long periods without certain types of organic material presenent in out soils breaking down.

Based on my study of the soil food web and what Bacteria and Mycorrhizal Fungi best benefit cannabis we need to add more diversity to our bagged soil. I add Composted Wood, Biochar, Rice Hulls and Pumice / Basalt when reamending all of my soil.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@H.A.F. Stop sifting your amendments out of the soil........
Before I use this I'll mix the stuff from around the rocks back in because it looked fine.
I didn't - except what was in the final pic of the wet rocks and large sticks. Not arguing over the ingredients in the soil that are supposed to be there. They went back. But the fact that the second pic shows how poorly things were mixed/sifted at the factory means that in my one-gallon pot I might or might not get the same mix that is in the next one gallon pot.
The stuff on the left in the third pic is all that went away, and rinsed it was half rocks, half twigs.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I looked at the rocks and some of it may be what they advertise, the rest looks like parking lot gravel.

Not saying that it is not a scientifically premium soil MIX. I am saying that it aim's premium to me if it ain't mixed.