Fan advice please...

LordKoos

It's pretty windy here so if the smell does travel I don't think anyone will be able to pinpoint where it's coming from, and we aren't too close to neighbors... I ran it that way last year and all was good...

Years ago I had a grow in a different house and we ran the exhaust duct up the chimney which worked great until the moisture ran down into the gas furnace and rusted out the burner. :oops:

Opie1

Master Grower
Thanks for the discussion guys. I'm not worried about the smell too much, since I don't have any close neighbors, and the nearest one is cool and wouldn't care anyway. So I got rid of my filter as it seemed to cut down the exhaust rate and made the fan work harder. This is a basement not a tent & the issue is mainly keeping the smell out of the rest of the house and keeping the temp and humidity down (I use a dehumidifier as well). The fan I have now is an i-power centrifugal type, I run it at full power 24/7 during the 6 month grow time. It does the job but it's becoming noisier which I assume means the bearings are starting to wear out. I have a very short run only about 3 feet of ducting so maybe 440 CFM is overkill? The Panasonics look nice but the 6" models don't move much air. I guess I will give the AC a try.
Have you already ordered one?

Buddha61

Really Active Member
So much quieter, even on speed 6/8. I am going to see when lights come on, if speed 6 is enough, or if I need to go to 7 or 8. Even though the 2 highest settings are by no means quiet, they definitely aren't that loud, and since it is new, it is a smooth sound. My old one was noisy, and I think bearings may have been going.

I agree Hust, definitely light, lighter than I expected.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Just a word of advice for those that don’t like to read instructions, and this may explain why a fan may crap out before it’s time........

The fans need to be mounted “perfectly” horizontal or vertical. If they are installed on any kind of angle, it will put undue stress on the motor bearings and cause early failure.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just a word of advice for those that don’t like to read instructions, and this may explain why a fan may crap out before it’s time........

The fans need to be mounted “perfectly” horizontal or vertical. If they are installed on any kind of angle, it will put undue stress on the motor bearings and cause early failure.
They also need regular dusting, and regardless of how your carbon filter is set up (inside or outside the tent) you need at least a dust-pre-filter on the intake side. if you look at your oscillating fan blades after a few months, you get it :)

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
First one looks like an ACI knock-off. Would depend on price - and where it's made. If it's a Chinese copy I wouldn't count on quality. From anywhere else it might be fine. Definitely wouldn't pay more than ACI.
Yeah similar thoughts . I’ve asked the company for more extensive information but from pricing I’ve found so far it looks similar to ACI . Fan selection and availability of units is doing my head in at the moment. Odour is gonna leave me caught with my pants down . My fault for not planning ahead enough 🙄

Opie1

Master Grower
The ACI’s might cost a little more than some of these old metal clankers, but they’re worth it. I’ve got 3 of them (2 going and 1 for a spare) and you can’t hear them at all unless you’re right up on them.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
The ACI’s might cost a little more than some of these old metal clankers, but they’re worth it. I’ve got 3 of them (2 going and 1 for a spare) and you can’t hear them at all unless you’re right up on them.
I’m all for the ACI units if I could fucking find one locally . I live on an Island that has access to everything except foreign made in-line fans ......it seems. Dunno what shits me more , ACI not having better international distribution or a lack of options in this field of products .

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Here's the "cabinet fan". Designed for electronics cabinets, but it has a low speed (about 40cfm) that is perfect for keeping the humidity out if needed. This is just on a cedar wardrobe I got at a yardsale. I put a piece of flat duct designed to be in the wall on the back for a 'plenum' then a 4" hose running to a carbon filter.
View attachment 58471
I need one!

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I’m all for the ACI units if I could fucking find one locally . I live on an Island that has access to everything except foreign made in-line fans ......it seems. Dunno what shits me more , ACI not having better international distribution or a lack of options in this field of products .
I can get a quote for you if you’re interested? PM me :)