Experimental Grow: 24/12 Lighting

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So, what are some thoughts we have on this? Say the article is right and it does flower while shaving off flower time, would you change your methods if this does work as intended?
I think it's an interesting thing to try - but I don't get it. I can't see it flowering right since it is getting 24 hours of uninterrupted light.

My understanding is that it is the reduction in light hours in the fall (or when shifting to 12 or less to simulate fall) that brings on flowering. Not the change from 6 to 12 hours of darkness.

Can't hurt to try, but that's my $0.02

My understanding is that it is the reduction in light hours in the fall (or when shifting to 12 or less to simulate fall) that brings on flowering. Not the change from 6 to 12 hours of darkness.
Its a hormone produced while in darkness that makes it flower....It's basically just taking a 24 hour period and throwing it out the window while introducing a longer day/night period. The plant "should" adjust to longer days I would think, or at least hope. I tried to find more info on him but there's not much out there on the subject, at all.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Its a hormone produced while in darkness that makes it flower....It's basically just taking a 24 hour period and throwing it out the window while introducing a longer day/night period. The plant "should" adjust to longer days I would think, or at least hope. I tried to find more info on him but there's not much out there on the subject, at all.
I can dig the theories and testing new stuff - charge on! I am just leaning more towards keeping stuff gentler on the plants. That adjustment period might include a little tranny action, so I'd keep a close eye.

I can dig the theories and testing new stuff - charge on! I am just leaning more towards keeping stuff gentler on the plants. That adjustment period might include a little tranny action, so I'd keep a close eye.
That's why I am going to run it seperate from my main grows. I just chucked pollen for the first time recently and I would be MAD AF if that screwed anything up. So if it works....then there's ALOT more that needs to be researched. Running clones in different times etc....but if it dont work, no major loss.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That's why I am going to run it seperate from my main grows. I just chucked pollen for the first time recently and I would be MAD AF if that screwed anything up. So if it works....then there's ALOT more that needs to be researched. Running clones in different times etc....but if it dont work, no major loss.
Might be easier to try the experiment with fems. Running regs I tend to not be as worried about seeing balls since you expect them. So I might not pay as close attention to if a plant had both.

Might be easier to try the experiment with fems. Running regs I tend to not be as worried about seeing balls since you expect them. So I might not pay as close attention to if a plant had both.
Yea I am. Already picked the strains. One indica dom and one sativa dom. I am also going to run a clone in the background as I know how it flowers etc. So it'll give me a better idea on how it works....IF it works.

Got any kind of update for us? Would love to know what happened. My first thought is that it will just Herm the plant from it having too much day to kill off any stuff produced in dark. But I'm a noob so would love to know!

Sativa Kid

After much debate, I decided to give the grow a green light. There seems to be no solid evidence on the subject other then what we "think" we know. I recently came across an article that got me thinking. If a photo period plant needs 10-12 hours of continued darkness to flower....what about the light period? Will a photoperiod plant continue to flower with an extended light period while the plant still receives 12 hours of darkness. So....step back and forget everything you have learned about day and night. This goes out the window with this grow.

Welcome to Venus where we have 36 hour days!!!

This grow will be started from seed to harvest. 2 plants...different strains. Nothing will change with watering and feeding schedules. The only thing I will change....is light times. I am going to order a 7 day timer from Amazon to assist with the lighting schedule and I will reset it once a week as I will have to so I can continue the current light schedule.

My plans....to start off, I am going to run my light 24 hours a day for the first few weeks. I then will start adding my dark period around week 3 or 4. ( 24/2 example ).
When I am ready to start flowering, I will then flip to 12/12 lighting for the first 2 weeks. Once pre-flower has ended and true flowers are starting to show....into 24/12 I go.

Experiment Based off this article.
Cool stuff. I've always wondered about that.

Sativa Kid

It would be nice if it worked, could grow some killer sativas indoors with a shorter flower time
To me its a game changer
I have a killer Sativa that finishes in 8-9 weeks. It's because something in the Genes makes it look like a Hybrid instead of a Sativa. This in turn has something to do with finishing times.