Experimental Grow: 24/12 Lighting

After much debate, I decided to give the grow a green light. There seems to be no solid evidence on the subject other then what we "think" we know. I recently came across an article that got me thinking. If a photo period plant needs 10-12 hours of continued darkness to flower....what about the light period? Will a photoperiod plant continue to flower with an extended light period while the plant still receives 12 hours of darkness. So....step back and forget everything you have learned about day and night. This goes out the window with this grow.

Welcome to Venus where we have 36 hour days!!!

This grow will be started from seed to harvest. 2 plants...different strains. Nothing will change with watering and feeding schedules. The only thing I will change....is light times. I am going to order a 7 day timer from Amazon to assist with the lighting schedule and I will reset it once a week as I will have to so I can continue the current light schedule.

My plans....to start off, I am going to run my light 24 hours a day for the first few weeks. I then will start adding my dark period around week 3 or 4. ( 24/2 example ).
When I am ready to start flowering, I will then flip to 12/12 lighting for the first 2 weeks. Once pre-flower has ended and true flowers are starting to show....into 24/12 I go.

Experiment Based off this article.

Strain selection....To get an idea of how the flowering periods will go, I am choosing one sativa dominant strain and one indica dominant strain. While I am testing to see if the flowering times will work, I am also testing to see if this method lowers flowering times liked claimed in the article. While the flowering time is not what I am looking for specifically, it is something I will note along the way.

Strain #1:

Zombie Death Fuck is a mostly sativa variety from Blim Burn Seeds and can be cultivated indoors (where the plants will need a flowering time of ±70 days) and outdoors. Blim Burn Seeds' Zombie Death Fuck is a THC dominant variety and is/was only available as feminized seeds.

Blim Burn Seeds' Zombie Death Fuck Description

Logo Blim Burn SeedsBlim Burn Seeds Zombie Death Fuck is a cross between Girl Scout Cookies clone of Blimburn and OG Kush, a hybrid characterised by a powerful and intense effect.

Zombie Death Fuck is a Sativa dominant hybrid that develops vigorously offering generous dense, resin-coated buds. It completes flowering in about 65 to 75 days, in indoor cannabis gardening, with a yield up to 400g per m2. Outdoors, we can harvest in the second half of September and expect a yield of up to 500-600g per plant.

This plant has an impressive trichome coverage and production, making Zombie Death Fuck a perfect variety for making cannabis resin extractions.

A fruity aroma on a floral and earthy background is accompanied by a powerful relaxing effect, inspiring the name of this 23% THC cannabis variety.

Blimburn Seeds Zombie Death Fuck info:
Type: Feminised seeds
Genetics: Girl Scout Cookies x Og Kush LA
Sativa dominant hybrid
Flowering: 65 - 75 days
Outdoors harvest: September 15-30
Indoor yield: 400g per m2
Outdoor yield: 500 - 600g per plant
THC: 23%
CBD: 0.2%

Strain #2: Fucking Incredible

Type
  • Feminized
Bank
  • PEV Seeds
Genetic
  • Afghani
  • Cheese
  • Euphoria x Infinity Skunk
  • Skunk
Phenotype
  • Practically Indica 100%
Outdoor harvest H.N
  • Mid-September
Outdoor Harvest H.S
  • March
Indoor production
  • 500 gr/m2
Outside production
  • More than 500 gr/plant
Inner height
  • Up to 1.2 meters
Outdoor height
  • Up to 1.8 meters
Indoor flowering period
  • 7 weeks
Feature
  • Indica seeds
Climate
  • Sunny/Mediterranean
  • Temperate/Continental
Effect
  • Appetite
  • Medicinal
  • Psychoactive
Thc
  • 23%
Cbd
  • 0.5-0.7%
Conditions
  • Anorexia
Taste and aroma
  • Fruity
  • Cheese
Symptoms
  • Stress
  • Lack of appetite

Taken directly from site sources.

With the extended light hours, I am assuming that I will be feeding and watering a little more often then usual.

Goals: Measure and record daily water intake throughout the plant's full life cycle.
Record daily vertical growth.

Needs: Scale large enough to fit underneath the pot to measure weight of plants including pot.
Mark grow area accordingly to measure vertical growth within set time (24 hours & 1 week)

Grow Area: 2.5ft wide x 2.5ft long x 5 ft tall.

Temps: 85F & Minimum 60% RH (seedlings)
80F & 50-60% RH (veg)
75F & 50% RH (flower)

Light Used: Mars-Hydro TS-1000 LED

Nutrients: Fox Farm 3 Part Cultivation Nation & General Hydroponics Cal-mag

Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil

Lighting Schedule: 24/0 seedling, 24/2 veg, 12/12 <---PREFLOWER ONLY 24/12 flower

It would be nice if it worked, could grow some killer sativas indoors with a shorter flower time
To me its a game changer
If the plant can actually flower....I think I may run clones afterwards, one in normal what we are used to lighting and one on 24/12. Even "IF" the flower times are the same but harvest is different having the 24/12 harvest more, that alone is a game changer. Unless its only a couple grams difference.

Ordered the timer I will need to make life easier. Just a basic 7 day timer. Once a week, I'll have to reset the timers once I get into 24/12 lighting in flower. I do plan on running a clone in the background as I know how it flowers and how well it produces. I also am marking the grow area off with inches and feet as noted to mark daily growth on the plants.

*Note* May run a webcam to upload daily 24 hour intervals to see growth on the plant and how much the leaves move in said period.

I am thinking it is time to get the show on the road and get this thing started!!!

So here's an older picture of one of my older grows. In the picture, you can see the box I will be using to start the plants off in. With correct and decisive training, the plants should have no problems flowering in them. As said above, 2.5 ft x 2.ft are the dimensions. Lighting will be the Mars Hydro Ts-1000.
budgetgrow.jpg