Dry & cure method for those who hate to trim

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
That's exactly it. Hand trimmed and a good cure will beat most dispo buds just about everytime. I'm always searching for a better way, but it's been like this for a long time for a reason.
I personally would have not tried this method without the recommendation from a professional grower. I made mention to him about the dislike of trimming and he recommended this way. The better i get at it the more i like it. Think i going to try and rig something up where i can hang whole plants to try and extend the hang time which in turn would shorten the Tupperware time as well.

Main Cola

Chuckers Paradise
I have a new method i have been using the last few times that works rely well. The total time on this is 30 days and it is divided 3 ways. A day or two before harvest cut off all fan leaves that have no tricombs and leave the remaining on the plant. First is hang time usually 5-7 days. Second step is to cut the branches with the buds on them to roughly 6-8" long depending on the size Tupperware container you use. I use like 9"x9"Tupperware container. I lay the pieces in the container about half full or a little better than half way. Leaving the stems on rely slows the drying process. Each container has its on hygrometer laying on the top. You can open them maybe a couple times a day and completely turn the flower over in the container. Depending on your hygrometer reading you will either have the lid on strait or have it partially open to reduce humidity. This just takes a little practice not hard. Okay so the second step is roughly 2 weeks long. It has been 3 weeks since the plant has been cut it is now time to do final trim and into jars for the last week of this method. The rely cool part about this method is most of all the sugar leaves are so dry they practically fall off when trimming. Never had trimming so easy.View attachment 6787
When I have a lot to trim I use this method but instead of a bunch of those containers I use 5 gallon buckets with a Gamma Seal Lid
It works really well

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
You have thinking about giving it a go now. I just might with my cnc.
Not sure about your set up but i struggle to get past 5-7 days hang time. When you think about it the buds are still attached to the main stem for much longer going this route. So it would only make sense that it slows the dry time witch many say makes for a more potent bud. Just keep a sharp eye on them with the humidity. I am quite sure you know the drill. I think doing a quick fan on them with the lid helps a lot.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Harvest & cure up date: This was the easiest trim job i have experienced. I used 1 pair of gloves and 1 pair of scissors that never came close to gumming up. I did add something new that was rely impressive a Trim Bin. Dump the contents of the Tupperware into the trim bin. If the material is ready its all hand work. By hand snap the buds off the main steam. Some may need a couple of twists and will snap right off. Once you chuck your stems just pull the sugar leaves from the buds by hand. The only time i am using the scissors is to cut the top bud off so i can get a big bud. Now you need a few paper towel soaked in alcohol to pick when you need to to clean your gloves. Kind of like setting around shucking pea'sWC & mac 1 harvest 016.JPGWC & mac 1 harvest 003.JPGWC & mac 1 harvest 010.JPGWC & mac 1 harvest 004.JPGWC & mac 1 harvest 014.JPGWC & mac 1 harvest 007.JPG

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
Harvest & cure up date: This was the easiest trim job i have experienced. I used 1 pair of gloves and 1 pair of scissors that never came close to gumming up. I did add something new that was rely impressive a Trim Bin. Dump the contents of the Tupperware into the trim bin. If the material is ready its all hand work. By hand snap the buds off the main steam. Some may need a couple of twists and will snap right off. Once you chuck your stems just pull the sugar leaves from the buds by hand. The only time i am using the scissors is to cut the top bud off so i can get a big bud. Now you need a few paper towel soaked in alcohol to pick when you need to to clean your gloves. Kind of like setting around shucking pea'sView attachment 8488View attachment 8489View attachment 8490View attachment 8491View attachment 8492View attachment 8493
Looks like a good buffet

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Thats good i should try that. I got two and one reads 8% off. I don’t know which one :D

I hang dry. My environment is pretty humid. This harvest took 17 days for me to start trimming. But the branches were not snapping at all. Still bendy all the way. I can probably just hang cure them as they are. And go straight to jars. Without any burping. But needed to prep the tent so i had to bag it. So in the brown bags they went.

I’ve been using this technique for the last two three harvest and its very easy just hang as it is and bag prior to snap to sweat them off. As the plant dries the leaves hug the buds and keep them from drying too fast.

View attachment 7512
Hey @CrimsonEcho can you elaborate a little more on the bags and how you are doing that? Man if i could get a hang time like that it would save a lot of work. I always struggle trying to get past a 7 day hang. I have never tried hanging a whole plant but plan on figuring out a way to do so.

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Hey @CrimsonEcho can you elaborate a little more on the bags and how you are doing that? Man if i could get a hang time like that it would save a lot of work. I always struggle trying to get past a 7 day hang. I have never tried hanging a whole plant but plan on figuring out a way to do so.
Well bro my environment is the big factor here. Its just brown bags i use but i saw people do trashbags and stuff in dry environments.

There was a good contraption i saw which may work for you if you have very low rh. What that person did was he made a big box out of wood i guess ran some lines inside and hang the plants inside the box and covered the top with trashbags. He was supposedly lifting the bags up multiple times for a couple of minutes to provide air exchange. This was in a 20% environment and i really would be a little concerned about the wood smell effecting the taste but other materials is possible.

Another thing i saw people do is getting a huge brown box or two. You know something that can accomodate your plants heightwise. Run couple of fishing lines from wall to wall and hang the plants on it. You can either close the top with trashbags and lift them daily to encourage air exchange or you can just close the lid and lift that.

The last technique i stumbled upon with trashbags suggests bagging the plants whole and leaving the bottoms of the main stem out. Close it with a rubber band and hang as it is. You can open it daily to encourage air exchange or you can -i’m guessing- poke couple of holes with a needle to provide continuous air exchange.

My rh is significantly lower in winters and what i do is. I brown bag them with couple of layers. Just as they start to feel crispy on the outside. But the branches should not be snapping. I do my trim and cut the buds off and brown bag them then another brown bag and maybe another. Just let them slowly cure and dry all at once. You have to open the bags and move the buds around daily to let every bud get exposed to air.

Another big trick i could suggest is saturating the pots with water a day before harvest. Let them go thru one more light cycle and harvest after the dark or 48hrs etc. They are going to be filled with moisture and this will keep them from drying too fast.

Some of these techniques i utilize personally, some are just the stuff i read. You know its not science. The key is to slow the loss of moisture as best as you can while still providing air exchange to prevent mold and stuff. So i’m sure you can come up with something even better.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Well bro my environment is the big factor here. Its just brown bags i use but i saw people do trashbags and stuff in dry environments.

There was a good contraption i saw which may work for you if you have very low rh. What that person did was he made a big box out of wood i guess ran some lines inside and hang the plants inside the box and covered the top with trashbags. He was supposedly lifting the bags up multiple times for a couple of minutes to provide air exchange. This was in a 20% environment and i really would be a little concerned about the wood smell effecting the taste but other materials is possible.

Another thing i saw people do is getting a huge brown box or two. You know something that can accomodate your plants heightwise. Run couple of fishing lines from wall to wall and hang the plants on it. You can either close the top with trashbags and lift them daily to encourage air exchange or you can just close the lid and lift that.

The last technique i stumbled upon with trashbags suggests bagging the plants whole and leaving the bottoms of the main stem out. Close it with a rubber band and hang as it is. You can open it daily to encourage air exchange or you can -i’m guessing- poke couple of holes with a needle to provide continuous air exchange.

My rh is significantly lower in winters and what i do is. I brown bag them with couple of layers. Just as they start to feel crispy on the outside. But the branches should not be snapping. I do my trim and cut the buds off and brown bag them then another brown bag and maybe another. Just let them slowly cure and dry all at once. You have to open the bags and move the buds around daily to let every bud get exposed to air.

Another big trick i could suggest is saturating the pots with water a day before harvest. Let them go thru one more light cycle and harvest after the dark or 48hrs etc. They are going to be filled with moisture and this will keep them from drying too fast.

Some of these techniques i utilize personally, some are just the stuff i read. You know its not science. The key is to slow the loss of moisture as best as you can while still providing air exchange to prevent mold and stuff. So i’m sure you can come up with something even better.
I have been using the big boxes for a while now and just close them up with a little tape. I did not think to put a trash bag over the top of the box though.

crimsonecho

I have been using the big boxes for a while now and just close them up with a little tape. I did not think to put a trash bag over the top of the box though.
I read your original post again and you say it takes 5-7 days for the first step. Have you tried saturating them with water and leaving the fan leaves on. These two tricks alone could significantly increase the hang time ime.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I read your original post again and you say it takes 5-7 days for the first step. Have you tried saturating them with water and leaving the fan leaves on. These two tricks alone could significantly increase the hang time ime.
No i have not tried saturating them with water. Would be afraid of mold. I am going to rig up some thing where i can hang the whole plant. I guess it is not that relevant how long it hangs unless i could hang 3 weeks or so and go strait to jars from hanging. The branches remain intact when i go to Tupperware containers which would mean the buds stayed attached to the stems for 21 days roughly.

crimsonecho

No i have not tried saturating them with water. Would be afraid of mold. I am going to rig up some thing where i can hang the whole plant. I guess it is not that relevant how long it hangs unless i could hang 3 weeks or so and go strait to jars from hanging. The branches remain intact when i go to Tupperware containers which would mean the buds stayed attached to the stems for 21 days roughly.
Don’t think it’ll cause any problems personally. I did it a couple of times because of scheduling problems. It takes longer to dry and thats about it. Let the medium soak completely and let them drink as much as they can. It’ll make a difference and so will dry trimming. Dried fan leaves close on the buds and slow down the loss of moisture. It works. But of course you can use trashbags and brown bags etc. They will work also.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Don’t think it’ll cause any problems personally. I did it a couple of times because of scheduling problems. It takes longer to dry and thats about it. Let the medium soak completely and let them drink as much as they can. It’ll make a difference and so will dry trimming. Dried fan leaves close on the buds and slow down the loss of moisture. It works. But of course you can use trashbags and brown bags etc. They will work also.
Okay @CrimsonEcho i misunderstood what you were saying about saturating with water.Must have been puffing to hard on the new harvest. Although i do keep my coco pretty moist i have stopped watering usually around 3 days prior to cutting.Next time i will try to keep the media wet at chop. Sure makes more sense to do that to extend dry time.

crimsonecho

Okay @CrimsonEcho i misunderstood what you were saying about saturating with water.Must have been puffing to hard on the new harvest. Although i do keep my coco pretty moist i have stopped watering usually around 3 days prior to cutting.Next time i will try to keep the media wet at chop. Sure makes more sense to do that to extend dry time.
Yeah man there is a bit of a language barrier. Eventho my english is pretty much awesome i’m not a native speaker so it may not be your fault hahhaah.

Streetpro09

Tester
Yeah man there is a bit of a language barrier. Eventho my english is pretty much awesome i’m not a native speaker so it may not be your fault hahhaah.
Never would have guessed it wasn't your native language! I'm with @Capt C on this one. I thought you were dunking buds in a bucket of water before hanging them. Lol. I'll admit I was pretty high when I read it though.