Dry & cure method for those who hate to trim

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I’m gonna try this method next harvest. After a few years I’ve gotten the growing part down pretty well, but the dry/cure is still hit or miss. I’d say about half the time I’m still getting that grassy hay smell after dry and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong lol.
I feel ya on this man. We need to improve on this too oh so bad. Was just talking to the Cap'n himself about this today (in person 😃). If it's any indicator, his shit is on point, the nugs are dense and tight, frost like a MF. Got that right amount of squish. Shit, some of it has no squish at all, just rock ass hard CLUNK CLUNK when-you-drop-them-on-the-tray nugs.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
I feel ya on this man. We need to improve on this too oh so bad. Was just talking to the Cap'n himself about this today (in person 😃). If it's any indicator, his shit is on point, the nugs are dense and tight, frost like a MF. Got that right amount of squish. Shit, some of it has no squish at all, just rock ass hard CLUNK CLUNK when-you-drop-them-on-the-tray nugs.
Lol yea that’s how it should be lol. I get good nugs and they smoke great, just about half the time they hay out on my ass and im trying to figure out a better way that never gives me hay. It’s so disappointing when you put in all that work just to fuck up the dry lol. Especially after several years, I feel like I should be a pro by now haha. But yea good to know, I’m definitely gonna try this method here in a couple weeks. I do a similar method now. Just paper bags instead of Tupperware. Hang the whole plant, then into bags with hygrometer, then trim then jar with hygrometer shooting for 58-62%. But it obviously isn’t working every time haha.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Lol yea that’s how it should be lol. I get good nugs and they smoke great, just about half the time they hay out on my ass and im trying to figure out a better way that never gives me hay. It’s so disappointing when you put in all that work just to fuck up the dry lol. Especially after several years, I feel like I should be a pro by now haha. But yea good to know, I’m definitely gonna try this method here in a couple weeks. I do a similar method now. Just paper bags instead of Tupperware. Hang the whole plant, then into bags with hygrometer, then trim then jar with hygrometer shooting for 58-62%. But it obviously isn’t working every time haha.
I put the hygrometer right on top of the pile of drying material that way i can see the reading thru the top of the tupperware container. When you think it is dry from hanging you will be surprised how most it becomes when you just set the lid on top of the container ( do not snap closed). If it is really moist pull the lid off and fan several times a day. And don't forget to reach in and rotate the contents once a day for the first week or so. Also one other tip i use those cheap chinese hygrometers ( surprisingly accurate). Before i start i will wrap up however many i need in a moist towel and the put that in a gallon zip lock bag and let set for a hour. When you open it up they should all be reading 99% which most usually do if it is off by more than 1 or 2 i will chuck it. Only around 2 dollars apiece.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
I put the hygrometer right on top of the pile of drying material that way i can see the reading thru the top of the tupperware container. When you think it is dry from hanging you will be surprised how most it becomes when you just set the lid on top of the container ( do not snap closed). If it is really moist pull the lid off and fan several times a day. And don't forget to reach in and rotate the contents once a day for the first week or so. Also one other tip i use those cheap chinese hygrometers ( surprisingly accurate). Before i start i will wrap up however many i need in a moist towel and the put that in a gallon zip lock bag and let set for a hour. When you open it up they should all be reading 99% which most usually do if it is off by more than 1 or 2 i will chuck it. Only around 2 dollars apiece.
Dope thanks for the tips. I’m gonna try this here in a couple weeks. Do you trim before they go in the Tupperware, or right before they go in jars?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Before they go in the jars. That is kinda the point of this method. 90% of the sugar leaves will fall off with a little handling and most buds will snap off the stem and i use scissors to cut the very top bud. I have never been able to hang the plants for more than 5-7 days. So when you think about it with the stems still attached it is almost kike getting a 3 week hang. Slow dry= potent bud.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Before they go in the jars. That is kinda the point of this method. 90% of the sugar leaves will fall off with a little handling and most buds will snap off the stem and i use scissors to cut the very top bud. I have never been able to hang the plants for more than 5-7 days. So when you think about it with the stems still attached it is almost kike getting a 3 week hang. Slow dry= potent bud.
Word I knew that already lol sorry it’s early and before I went to bed I read @macsnax method of 3 day dry and into jars for the same type of throttling technique, I confused the 2 in my early morning stupor lol. I’m gonna try a plant or 2 with each method and one in a kinda hybrid between the 2 methods and see what works best for my situation. Thanks for the write up man.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I read through this and am trying it mainly because I have low humidity in the house.

After a day of hanging they are wilting a little, and starting to cover the nugs a little. I don't know how much this really helps in slowing the drying process (for me) because by the time they close around the buds it will already be at the point that my larfy stuff is too dry.
IMG_3928.JPG
I do like that it gives you a better look at the finished flower before deciding what if anything to trim off before jarring, And that it will be dry-sift ready immediately.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I read through this and am trying it mainly because I have low humidity in the house.

After a day of hanging they are wilting a little, and starting to cover the nugs a little. I don't know how much this really helps in slowing the drying process (for me) because by the time they close around the buds it will already be at the point that my larfy stuff is too dry.
View attachment 31280
I do like that it gives you a better look at the finished flower before deciding what if anything to trim off before jarring, And that it will be dry-sift ready immediately.
Leaving the leaves on will help some. I really struggle trying to hang longer than 5 days but as usual when i think it is getting to dry it will pop right back up in the tupperware dish. Plus all of those sugar leaves will fall off (when dried correctly) when you bend them the opposite way. The more moist they are when you transfer to the tupperware the more you will have to pull the lid off and fan them with the lid. Once you get the moisture down to a reasonable level you can open once a day and rotate the contents. I used to wet trim but i doubt i will go back to it. This way is much less trouble.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
I’m currently trying out your method and so far I’ve gotta say i really like it. If the buds come out how I think they will this is gonna be my forever method. Well, until I’m in a warehouse, then I’ll need to use buckets lol.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I figured I should update this. The leaves never closed around my buds, but the drying is noticeably slower. I do think I got an extra day out of it. Maybe it has to do with snipped leaf tips losing water quicker?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I figured I should update this. The leaves never closed around my buds, but the drying is noticeably slower. I do think I got an extra day out of it. Maybe it has to do with snipped leaf tips losing water quicker?
That is about what i figured as well with me one extra day. But with this method it does not really matter. Your total time between the hang and the tupperware is 3 weeks. Just adjust accordingly.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
That is about what i figured as well with me one extra day. But with this method it does not really matter. Your total time between the hang and the tupperware is 3 weeks. Just adjust accordingly.
Yea man this method extended my dry time by a lot actually. I was struggling to get past a week before. plants I chopped on nov 5th just went into jars a couple hours ago. Pretty close to 3 weeks I’m confident next time I can make it the whole 3 weeks. Thanks for the method to I owe you one.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Yea man this method extended my dry time by a lot actually. I was struggling to get past a week before. plants I chopped on nov 5th just went into jars a couple hours ago. Pretty close to 3 weeks I’m confident next time I can make it the whole 3 weeks. Thanks for the method to I owe you one.
Yes it took me a couple of times to dial it in. Gets easier each time and if you think about it you are almost getting a three week hang time. Because the stems remain attached for 3 weeks. I only usually need around a dozen tupperware dishes if it were more than that i would just go to the 5 gal buckets.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Yes it took me a couple of times to dial it in. Gets easier each time and if you think about it you are almost getting a three week hang time. Because the stems remain attached for 3 weeks. I only usually need around a dozen tupperware dishes if it were more than that i would just go to the 5 gal buckets.
Yea man and being able to put the lid on and sweat them while still being attached to the stem is really helpful. I only had to use 5 of the big Tupperware this first time I just tried it on a few plants. Next one I’ll need a ton lol. Buckets wouldn’t work for me so we’ll right now because I’m running higher numbers and smaller plants with a really wide variety. So only like 2-6 oz off each plant but they’re all different lol. So its a fuck ton of Tupperware in my future lol

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Yea man and being able to put the lid on and sweat them while still being attached to the stem is really helpful. I only had to use 5 of the big Tupperware this first time I just tried it on a few plants. Next one I’ll need a ton lol. Buckets wouldn’t work for me so we’ll right now because I’m running higher numbers and smaller plants with a really wide variety. So only like 2-6 oz off each plant but they’re all different lol. So its a fuck ton of Tupperware in my future lol
Those little hygrometer i buy are only around 2 bucks. Just make sure they have a battery with them. Looks like some of the sellers will list a cheaper price but it might not come with a battery. I don't mind ordering things like that from China but i hate it when i order from a american company and get there package right from China. And all my tupperware comes from Dollar general. Just a dollar type store.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Those little hygrometer i buy are only around 2 bucks. Just make sure they have a battery with them. Looks like some of the sellers will list a cheaper price but it might not come with a battery. I don't mind ordering things like that from China but i hate it when i order from a american company and get there package right from China. And all my tupperware comes from Dollar general. Just a dollar type store.
Yea I buy the same hygrometers every time from Amazon. They come ready to rock and they’re pretty accurate. Walmart had Tupperware on sale as fuck so I stocked up and bought like 30 of them bitches lol. Thanks for the heads up about the batteries tho I never would have thought about it.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Yea I buy the same hygrometers every time from Amazon. They come ready to rock and they’re pretty accurate. Walmart had Tupperware on sale as fuck so I stocked up and bought like 30 of them bitches lol. Thanks for the heads up about the batteries tho I never would have thought about it.
I have a post some where on how i calibrate them. Did you see it?