Dry crumbly leaves

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I'm not feeding it anything. Just half Coast of Maine Bar Harbor mix and half Coast of Maine Lobster Compost with a little perlite. (Not enough perlite.) I agree about the plant being a bit droopy. I've been a little worried about this grow since the soil never seems to dry out and all the plants seem a little droopy. But they all look healthy otherwise so I'm just keeping a close eye on them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
In general, when the cotyledon start yellowing it's a clue to give them their first light feeding.
If you haven't fed yet, that seed leaf is the next to go and the plant consumes itself slowly for food.

If you have fed, then more info about food, environment, ppm's etc. would be needed to decipher

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm not feeding it anything. Just half Coast of Maine Bar Harbor mix and half Coast of Maine Lobster Compost with a little perlite. (Not enough perlite.) I agree about the plant being a bit droopy. I've been a little worried about this grow since the soil never seems to dry out and all the plants seem a little droopy. But they all look healthy otherwise so I'm just keeping a close eye on them.
A lot of the 'out of the bag' soils that are geared towards weed have good drainage. So not sure on that part. When did you put them in the 1gal?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
out on limb here - see if the "heavy" pot feels bottom heavy.

If you repotted recently, the roots are still more in the cup size than the pot size. They could drink all the water they can find, then go out looking for more, but it takes time.

When I repot seedlings, I don't soak the pot. I keep the pot light and water less - a little more often. Maybe a cup of water in a circle right around the 'plug' from the cup.
As they grow, I water in a ring around the outside of the perimeter of the plant (not the pot) until it gets to the pot edge. Should be rooted enough by then to take a good soaking.

And that small amount of water can also contain food - not mutually exclusive, watch the plants. It's just about volume.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
According to my grow journal, last Saturday. I've been bad and not been taking notes.
Notes don't grow plants :)

If it was soaked at transplant, that'll slow the root growth just because they don't need to work. Water is already there.

Since they look to need food, and you haven't fed them, I would mix up a dose and just put a cup or so in. once the roots get going they'll dry out fine.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Notes don't grow plants :)

If it was soaked at transplant, that'll slow the root growth just because they don't need to work. Water is already there.
Yeah, I soaked them pretty well. You learn something every grow. :)

Since they look to need food, and you haven't fed them, I would mix up a dose and just put a cup or so in. once the roots get going they'll dry out fine.
Okay, I'll give that a go.

Thanksfor the help!

quiescent

Super Active Member
If he mixed a soil with plenty of nutrients in there already with more compost that plant is definitely not hungry. His plant is droopy because its over watered for a multitude of reasons, one being his soil mix that's too heavy on compost. His plant isn't taking up nutrients because its over watered. If your organic mix doesn't have enough drainage/gets over watered there's no oxygen for the microlife. Unhappy soil biology = plant not eating. Over watered plant, salts or organics = plant not eating.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
If he mixed a soil with plenty of nutrients in there already with more compost that plant is definitely not hungry. His plant is droopy because its over watered for a multitude of reasons, one being his soil mix that's too heavy on compost. His plant isn't taking up nutrients because its over watered. If your organic mix doesn't have enough drainage/gets over watered there's no oxygen for the microlife. Unhappy soil biology = plant not eating. Over watered plant, salts or organics = plant not eating.
I think this is correct. I'm going to try repotting some of these plants in plain soil without destroying them. It will give me a chance to look at the roots to see how bad they are.

Skunkle Justin

Never water your plants unless the medium is dry. That’s how you get root rot and fungus gnats. And try to transplant when the medium is dry. Not only does it help the roots spread out to search for water but it makes transplanting much easier. Also, if you’re growing in soil, try to make sure your leaves aren’t touching it. This can cause problems too. Also, make sure you have good drainage in soil. Definitely go with a little more perlite or vermiculite. Some use lava rock, hydroton pellets or even rice hulls for aeration too. You don’t want your soil to get too heavy when it’s watered causing the roots to get smashed under the weight of the wet dirt. You get the idea

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I learned early not to water unless the soil is dry. If anything I let it get too dry. (My first grow I used FFOF and had a few fungas gnats. I was able to control them but letting the soil REALLY dry out between waterings.

I repotted the plants to remove some of the compost mix soil. Suprisingly the roots look pretty decent. Lots of white roots circling the bottom of the pot already. Soil was a bit damp but seemed okay. In any case, I'm going to leave them for a few days and see how they respond.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I think the plant looks ok, certainly not on its death bed or anything.

The healthy roots are definitely a good sign. Dry feeling leaves might be a sign of low humidity?

I like to spray/mist my youngins with water or water + epsom salt once a week at least. You can really soak them too, tops of the leaves and underneath. They almost always start “praying” after a good misting.

Your soil looks good too, nice high-porosity. I think it’s been said you cant overwater in 100% coir, and that would apply to soil with enough porosity too.

Maybe they needed to be up-potted? Once a plant is root bound they will suck all the water out of your medium real quick.