Does one pollenated plant spoil the tent?

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Can I pollinate one plant and then others not be bothered.
From what I've read, yes. Just take caution, and maybe separate it when you pollinate it, then put it back with the others after a few days. But I know someone with more experience could answer this better...

And I've also read spraying them before putting them back with others can deactivate any loose pollen...

Vee

Ancient Member
What I do ..for small runs
one I ID the male I grow him out in another room then at night put him in a dark closet leaning on a mirror
in the morning i put him back in the sun scrape up the spilt pollen and store it in a bottle with uncooked rice in the freezer until I have enough...I avoid using the first weeks pollen but use the more volumous pollen later
pollen good for 6 months plus in the freezer

I prefer to add the pollen with a cotton bud and then let the plant rest for 1 hour after pollination then take outside and hose down the whole plant

when dry tag for ID then return to the lights

normally I just do the lower branches tag with tape or thread each branch

Later I harvest the plant but often leave the seed pods attached to grow out further at least until i see them clear in their pods

good luck

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Essentially yes, you can. But you’ll want the male isolated while flowering and during pollen collection. Once you have the pollen collected, you have a couple of options.

Option one: remove the female plant and isolate her too. Once she’s isolated, apply the pollen to her pistils. I personally use a fine tip, synthetic bristled paint brush. Let her sit isolated for three days, then spray her down really well with water. I spray everything. Top side, under side, top soil, and all around the pot. The water neutralizes the excess pollen. After all these steps, you can put her back into your flowering space and not worry about accidentally pollinated your other females.

Option two: Selective branch pollination. This requires more care, but uses the same grow space. In this scenario, you already have your pollen collected. First, take the female out to separate space. Select a branch or branches and carefully apply the pollen to the pistils of a branch. Then cover the branch with a paper bag, like the old school lunch bags. Staple the bottom of the bag, and tag the branch. I dry fit the bag first so I know how far down I can pollenate on a selected branch because you want the bag to cover everything pollinated. If you want to pollinate a bigger branch, you can use bread loaf bags. Just make sure whatever bag you use is 100% paper. You don’t want to use the ones with an inside wax coating. You want them to “breathe.” After this is completed, you can put them back into the communal grow space. After three days, remove the female once again, and completely isolate her. Remove the bags and spray her down to neutralize the excess pollen. Then you can return her into the space without worry of her pollinating the rest of the females.

Side note: Whenever working with pollen bearing males or pollinating females, I always shower afterward and change into a fresh pair of clothes before moving on to any step requiring me to re-enter the sterile grow environment. Loose pollen can end up anywhere, or land anywhere during any part of the process and I don’t want to risk accidentally carrying it into the grow space and accidentally pollinating any other females.

Lastly, you can potentially flower out a male in the same space, and collect pollen, but this carry’s a much higher risk for error and accidental pollinations. @Schwaggy P did a very nice write up in his thread outlining this process.

Good luck! I hope this helped a little. Keep us posted 👍🏼

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Can I do just one plant? This dream lotus has some potential and seems to be a male to me. Look at the structure!#!View attachment 18433
I believe you can even pollinate in the same room that other females are in. Turn all fans off,
Spray water on all surfaces and plant parts off any plant you're not breeding.
I used to tie "bread sacks" on the branches in the old days. Or, I used Qtips for isolated breeding. Qtips is the easiest and you're not carrying very much pollen to get loose.

chuckbucket

i take the plant that is to be pollinated and put it in a small closet that i use specifically for pollination. i use a paintbrush and paint the pollen on the nugs. then i spray the plant with water, and then i exhaust a portable air conditioner into the closet and that brings the temp up to around 110-120 F i leave them like that for about 20 minutes or so and then they go back to the flower room. ive never had any issues doing it this way.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
i take the plant that is to be pollinated and put it in a small closet that i use specifically for pollination. i use a paintbrush and paint the pollen on the nugs. then i spray the plant with water, and then i exhaust a portable air conditioner into the closet and that brings the temp up to around 110-120 F i leave them like that for about 20 minutes or so and then they go back to the flower room. ive never had any issues doing it this way.
How,long after brushing on the pollen , do,u spray with water?

Rooted

Plant whisperer
From what I've read, yes. Just take caution, and maybe separate it when you pollinate it, then put it back with the others after a few days. But I know someone with more experience could answer this better...

And I've also read spraying them before putting them back with others can deactivate any loose pollen...
Solo thcf? Monster here. Terpy tyrone thcf ? Yes you can pollenate one or even part of it and house it with yourvother girls. Takes couple days isolation n some water.

Rooted

Plant whisperer
I got 957 plants n only 3 getting the d. Not worried. But you must (should)have an iso area n do not walk back in flower room afterwards til changed n showered to be safe
that chit gets everywhere.
Keep in mind flower room probably has a good negative airflow so dont get near it til you change n all. I got that exact thing going on now.

Rooted

Plant whisperer
Let sit on there for 3 days in iso room like dude said earlier in the thread. No half a$$ing it. If your goal is seeds make sure that pollen is set good b4 rinsing. Not saying anyones wrong but youre already rolling in dust. Make it take solid.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
What I do ..for small runs
one I ID the male I grow him out in another room then at night put him in a dark closet leaning on a mirror
in the morning i put him back in the sun scrape up the spilt pollen and store it in a bottle with uncooked rice in the freezer until I have enough...I avoid using the first weeks pollen but use the more volumous pollen later
pollen good for 6 months plus in the freezer

I prefer to add the pollen with a cotton bud and then let the plant rest for 1 hour after pollination then take outside and hose down the whole plant

when dry tag for ID then return to the lights

normally I just do the lower branches tag with tape or thread each branch

Later I harvest the plant but often leave the seed pods attached to grow out further at least until i see them clear in their pods

good luck
Pretty much what I do, except I don't hose 'em down.

Before returning a pollinated girl to the flowering area I give it several hours for the pollen to take. Pollen, once applied slides down a pistil into the ovule pretty quickly. As a precaution to prevent unwanted bastard seeds, I try to let the freshly pollinated girl sit in front of a slow fan breeze far out of range of the unpollinated flowering girls.

When I return a pollinated lady to the flowering area, I try to place her at the end where any fan breeze can only blow any errant pollen onto a wall and not on other plants that I don't want to pollinate. Then wipe the wall down as a precaution.

I hardly get any errant seeds if I apply the pollen carefully and don't over do it.