Distance to canopy...

inthetrees

What's everyone running their panels at for height above canopy? I see more people running the HLG style boards VS the multi bar setups... I know everyones wattages differ in range too, but just thought I'd ask...

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I have 2 V1 288 boards running at about 260W and I just finished my first run under them. Started at 18” and by mid flower had them within 8-10” no problem.

inthetrees

Okay sweet. I have the 8 bar 650w units and I see guys have em 6-12" in flower, but I was afraid of frying my plants since Im just ending week 1 of veg lol

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I've ran my qb's down around 6-8" above the tops of my plants with no adverse effect. I do have my voltage set conservatively though. Safety/temps first. Start at about 24" even for mature, flowering plants, and just keep lowering them/adjusting until everything seems happy. I think 12-16" will be the sweet spot for most people by the end of flowering if you're slightly dimmed.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I acclimate at about 24 to 30 and let them grow into the light. Depends on your set up and the "photons" you are putting out. What do you want your plant to do? Short and compact or let them stretch a bit? Warm weather, you gotta watch your "leaf surface" temps.
You may be able to get away with it but just remember that, with LEDs, the issue of having them too close is not related to the heat they put out, it is an issue related to the actual intensity of the light. I’ve had some plants tolerate getting closer to some LED lights but if I have the vertical space I make sure they have at least 18”.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
You may be able to get away with it but just remember that, with LEDs, the issue of having them too close is not related to the heat they put out, it is an issue related to the actual intensity of the light. I’ve had some plants tolerate getting closer to some LED lights but if I have the vertical space I make sure they have at least 18”.
I've been building Led's for about 5 years now. One I built has 6 Veros and 2 Atreum QB 360's on 1 HLG 240-1400ma. Parallel into series in the string. Pretty efficient.
Another is 1800 watts and will fit in a 2 x 4 area and up. I have never cranked that one up all the way.