Dead Plant Soil

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I guess that would depend on whether or not the issue was caused by something getting into your soil that shouldn't be there. Plants dying overnight isn't very common so I personally wouldn't feel right reusing that soil unless I was positive that there is nothing in there that shouldn't be.

Stoned Cold Bulldog

dude, exactly what type of soilm were you using ? was it just bs dirt from outside or something you brought ? also it seems like ur ultra new to this so why those plants died is a mystery for now. what stage/how big were the plants WHEN THEY DIED ? were they just tall lanky seedlings ? had then been watered or fed nutes ? all these questions are relevant to ur situation.

in the mean time if u are a brand newbian . google basic marijuana grow guides. check out 3 of them and notice the info they cover and adapt it to what you want to do for your own situation. you're also going to get info that will answer the multitude of questions you will have as a newbie to the plant. it will shorten yur learning curve by at least 1/3 imho. get a notebook so yu can record what you do and when wit dates u water , feed, prune, clone etc etc etc. the notebook keeps u on track and becomes a journal too that helps you understand the plnt. later it helps you dial in a certain strain that you really want to work with and keep around.

still_mikigan

dude, exactly what type of soilm were you using ? was it just bs dirt from outside or something you brought ? also it seems like ur ultra new to this so why those plants died is a mystery for now. what stage/how big were the plants WHEN THEY DIED ? were they just tall lanky seedlings ? had then been watered or fed nutes ? all these questions are relevant to ur situation.

in the mean time if u are a brand newbian . google basic marijuana grow guides. check out 3 of them and notice the info they cover and adapt it to what you want to do for your own situation. you're also going to get info that will answer the multitude of questions you will have as a newbie to the plant. it will shorten yur learning curve by at least 1/3 imho. get a notebook so yu can record what you do and when wit dates u water , feed, prune, clone etc etc etc. the notebook keeps u on track and becomes a journal too that helps you understand the plnt. later it helps you dial in a certain strain that you really want to work with and keep around.
Plants were in 3rd week of flower, pistols weren't showing.
soil: fox farms
compost malibu
down to earth fish bone, Down To Earth All Natural Rose & Flower Bulb Fertilizer
worm castings

compost tea: seaweed extract and urb
first week of flower i brewed a tea with urb, seaweed extract, rose and flower fert and wormcastings( honestly this is where things seemed to make a turn for worse)

plants were great in veg(9 to 10 weeks) . also the a/c in my apt broke for 3 weeks.
You guessed right first time grower. 2 of the plants made it but still arent showing pistols,

still_mikigan

I guess that would depend on whether or not the issue was caused by something getting into your soil that shouldn't be there. Plants dying overnight isn't very common so I personally wouldn't feel right reusing that soil unless I was positive that there is nothing in there that shouldn't be.
maybe not died over night but things definitely went for bad to gone quickly

Thomasbruh

Ditchweed grower
If not sure about the soil I’d honestly dump it and being new try switching to coco! Easier to run compared to soil and more controlled since you’re doing main feedings instead of guessing on the soil! Best of luck and keep it clean!🔥🔥

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Plants were in 3rd week of flower, pistols weren't showing.
soil: fox farms
compost malibu
down to earth fish bone, Down To Earth All Natural Rose & Flower Bulb Fertilizer
worm castings

compost tea: seaweed extract and urb
first week of flower i brewed a tea with urb, seaweed extract, rose and flower fert and wormcastings( honestly this is where things seemed to make a turn for worse)

plants were great in veg(9 to 10 weeks) . also the a/c in my apt broke for 3 weeks.
You guessed right first time grower. 2 of the plants made it but still arent showing pistols,
If it were me, I would simplify that shit since you're still new. Just the fox farm soil during veg, and maybe a one-part nutrient to add during flower once your soil is depleted. Keep it simple while you're learning...

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
If it were me, I would simplify that shit since you're still new. Just the fox farm soil during veg, and maybe a one-part nutrient to add during flower once your soil is depleted. Keep it simple while you're learning...
I recently switched over to try an organic grow and it's about as easy as it gets. As long as you grow in large enough pots, top dress the soil once a week, and don't let the soil dry out too much, it seems pretty hard to screw up. I picked up a Blumat watering system for it, about a month ago, and it almost feels like I'm cheating.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Growing with organic stuff is definitely more forgiving, but even with that you don't need much nutes.

I use the FF Happy Frog dry top-feed line. It has different fertilizers for different parts of the grow, and a nice little schedule telling you what to add when.

I use about 25% of what they recommend, and only add it when ppm in the runoff after watering starts getting low.

My plants get no nutrients except what is in the soil for the first month, except for adding calmag to the water I use for them.

If you don't feed them too much, when they start looking a little dull you know exactly what they need.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
With organic grows the top dressing is more about feeding the microbes in the soil than the plants.
Definitely. I got the Fox Farms "12-pack" of additives for Christmas last year, so I had a 16oz sample of all their junk.
The Happy Frog feeding schedule calls for some of those other things (microbe-brew, kanga-roots etc.) that are all OMRI listed. Their labels all have the big list of amoebas and pterodactyls and other micro-goodies 😁 .

I use them because I have them, but so far using a few ml per gallon when called for it lasts a long time. Big Bloom is the only thing I have purchased more of, and since it works I'll probably keep using the others or similar from now on. None of the liquids have any NPK to speak of. The Big Bloom is more like a tea than a nute.

Their "wholly mackerel" (3-1-0) could be replaced by any fish fertilizer. Wally World carries "Alaska Fish Fertilizer" which is 5-1-1. Close enough - but I haven't come close to needing any more yet. I'm sure the others all have suitable replacements where you don't pay for pretty labels, but it's a good system.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I exchanged the "Bembe" which is a cane sweetener for Botanicare's "Sweet" which also has beneficial amino's.
The cal-mag I am using is a dry 'mix-it-yourself" version that makes over a gallon for the price of a quart of the other stuff. But again, it's a good system. And you don't need to flush like it says if you are in soil. No salt build up. Not sure about coco.
1592579130784.png

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Definitely. I got the Fox Farms "12-pack" of additives for Christmas last year, so I had a 16oz sample of all their junk.
The Happy Frog feeding schedule calls for some of those other things (microbe-brew, kanga-roots etc.) that are all OMRI listed. Their labels all have the big list of amoebas and pterodactyls and other micro-goodies 😁 .

I use them because I have them, but so far using a few ml per gallon when called for it lasts a long time. Big Bloom is the only thing I have purchased more of, and since it works I'll probably keep using the others or similar from now on. None of the liquids have any NPK to speak of. The Big Bloom is more like a tea than a nute.

Their "wholly mackerel" (3-1-0) could be replaced by any fish fertilizer. Wally World carries "Alaska Fish Fertilizer" which is 5-1-1. Close enough - but I haven't come close to needing any more yet. I'm sure the others all have suitable replacements where you don't pay for pretty labels, but it's a good system.
I've just been using dry mix form Elevation Organics for this grow until I can learn more about mixing up my own. I make a tea from it once a week for the plants and add molasses. I've also been topdressing with worm castings and the same dry mix.
IMG_5618.JPG
IMG_5619.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've just been using dry mix form Elevation Organics for this grow until I can learn more about mixing up my own. I make a tea from it once a week for the plants and add molasses. I've also been topdressing with worm castings and the same dry mix.
View attachment 62109
View attachment 62110
I just did a post on my page (didn't want to clutter this one too much) on how I simplified their schedule. I found the 4lb bags of their stuff at the local hydro-store for $9.99/bag. About a third of the amazon price. All 5 have basically the same natural ingredients, but in different ratios. some might have kelp and others fish, but mostly bat-shit, bird-shit and worm-shit :) I dig it because it's easy (for me) and I don't kill plants any more - which brings us to the original topic of reusing soil.

I like repeatable, sustainable results. If I have 4 regs and cull two males, I'll use the soil from the two males to up-pot the two females - nothing bad can happen there. After that I don't re-use the soil just because I like repeatable, sustainable results. New soil every grow. But I am also a gardener, who now doesn't have to buy tomato soil :) I'm not filling pot-holes in the yard with it :)

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Seems strange. I grow in organic soil (my own mix) and push them pretty hard with compost teas, organic nutes, non-organic nutes, basically whatever I feel like blasting them with. Never had a plant die overnight though. If you're 3 weeks into flower and they aren't showing pistils, that usually means they weren't mature enough. That, or something was stressing them out. Your soil/nutes sound Ok to me... anything else out of whack? temps? lights? air flow? You don't really need to mist the plants either. It doesn't hurt, but it isn't necessary.

That said, there was quite a bit going on in that compost tea of yours. I remember in your other thread you mentioned molasses was added too. Maybe it was too many things in the tea, and they got burnt? Did they look nute burnt? With the remaining 2 I'd hold off on any nutes for a couple weeks, let em start showing pistils, and then ease back into the nutes. Simplify that tea too. You can use the urb one week, then a simple tea the next.

My simple go-to tea is:

1 gal water
1/8 - 1/4 cup kelp meal
1/8 - 1/4 cup alfalfa meal
1/2 - 1 cup earthworm castings

still_mikigan

That said, there was quite a bit going on in that compost tea of yours. I remember in your other thread you mentioned molasses was added too. Maybe it was too many things in the tea, and they got burnt? Did they look nute burnt? With the remaining 2 I'd hold off on any nutes for a couple weeks, let em start showing pistils, and then ease back into the nutes. Simplify that tea too. You can use the urb one week, then a simple tea the next.
I think what stressed the was my trash apartment A/C breaking for 3 weeks, but for the other 2 i'm still not seeing the pistils i would like to see. I will post some picks in the morn so maybe you guys can continue to coach me on what's going on.