Dark Period b4 harvest?

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Hmmm, interesting results. If you are like me, you've probably noticed that your plants always have the strongest smell when you enter the room just before the lights come on. Running 12/12 anyway.
It really seems like common sense stuff to me.
When you put a plant in the dark for longer lengths, its slows growth. It slows/stops production of some things.
Wait too long, and these things dissipate or change chemically.
Maybe for those who sell to a dispensary this is important for putting a number or % on their jar.
But imo there is no way anyone can distinguish these minor changes in Thc levels. No way.
There are just too many other factors every time, every person smokes that come into play and affect a persons buzz.
The loss of 40% terps however might be noticeable. Might be, but very few people can actually distinguish various terps from one and other. Kind of like wine.
Though loss of smell in total, might be a bit more obvious to your average grower/consumer.
These test are too isolated and specific to this plant to really tell me anything I didnt already know by smell or growing/smoking for years.
Its cool and all. Good info to know and understand. But every plant, and environment, and method of drying, along with 100 other factors take it back to "damn these plants reek after 12 -24 hrs darkness, time to cut" :p

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Hmmm, interesting results. If you are like me, you've probably noticed that your plants always have the strongest smell when you enter the room just before the lights come on. Running 12/12 anyway.
It really seems like common sense stuff to me.
When you put a plant in the dark for longer lengths, its slows growth. It slows/stops production of some things.
Wait too long, and these things dissipate or change chemically.
Maybe for those who sell to a dispensary this is important for putting a number or % on their jar.
But imo there is no way anyone can distinguish these minor changes in Thc levels. No way.
There are just too many other factors every time, every person smokes that come into play and affect a persons buzz.
The loss of 40% terps however might be noticeable. Might be, but very few people can actually distinguish various terps from one and other. Kind of like wine.
Though loss of smell in total, might be a bit more obvious to your average grower/consumer.
These test are too isolated and specific to this plant to really tell me anything I didnt already know by smell or growing/smoking for years.
Its cool and all. Good info to know and understand. But every plant, and environment, and method of drying, along with 100 other factors take it back to "damn these plants reek after 12 -24 hrs darkness, time to cut" :p
I thought when they are "wreaking",the temps are rising and the terps are gassing off. Like when the sun begins burning the dew off outside and the "solar panels" begin heating up, then you begin smelling the honeysuckle and other flowers. In darkness, maybe higher O2 levels could benefit, since plants use O2 , but less CO2 in the "sleep cycle".
I think colder roots in those last days helps with THC and Terps. I use much colder water to "shock" the plant.
I'll throw ice sometimes in the pot. Whether it makes any difference, I think it does. My weed grown in colder environment seems to have a lot more resin and color in the plant.
Interesting topic!

Primo bozo

Big veiny dick
To my understanding, plants produce chlorophyll during daylight only, by giving it 48 to 72 hours before chop, it is supposed to be a cleaner smoke, not as harsh. I can't really tell a difference, but I do it anyway.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I replied to this video in the other thread, but this thread seems more fitting for it, so I will paste it below in case anyone wants to discuss my opinion here...

Ok, so this is one of the reasons why growers should not be doing these tests and actual scientists should, and I will explain why below.

Issue #1 was that he didn't use clones, he did a staged harvest from one plant, so the changes in the THC/Terpenes could have been caused by the stress of the multiple harvests rather than the darkness, or just a difference between colas.​
Issue #2 was that he only tested the top of each cola and I'd be willing to bet he would get varied results from multipile colas if he chopped and tested those same colas on the same day. What he should've done was tested multiple colas and averaged the results between them from each stage.​

Also, if you look at his results, they don't support 48 hours of darkness like he says they do. The THC% bounces up and down between each stage. If THC production increased from this practice then it wouldn't rise after 12 hours and then drop at 24 hours and rise again at 48. Terpene loss was also dropping at a pretty steady rate of about 0.1% per day.

All in all he supposedly gained 2% in THC over the course of the test but there's no way to know if that is just a variable between the colas he tested or a result of the light deprivation.