Dark Period b4 harvest?

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I have always gave em at least 24 hrs dark period b4 harvest. Some say 48, 72 or none at all. i saw a video on you tube with lab test, interesting. I will post the video when ever i can how to do that.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Lately because of location schedule timing etc. I’ve been cutting mine down 4 hours after the light has been on. 🙁. I wonder what harm that does? I can’t tell the difference but I’m to noob to know. Curious to know more though. I always was told to harvest right before the sun comes up idk

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I dont think any harm, the report says the thc and terps increase up to 48 hrs. After 48 some terps increase and some decrease. THC increased up to 72 hrs after lights out, like 2 to 3 % . This experiment was done with one plant harvesting different branches at different times. Not exact science but interesting. I would like to see some Master/Insane Growers opinions.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I have always gave em at least 24 hrs dark period b4 harvest. Some say 48, 72 or none at all. i saw a video on you tube with lab test, interesting. I will post the video when ever i can how to do that.
I have been giving mine 36 hrs of dark and cutting the main stalk before turning lights on for several years now. I am really not sure how much it helps but i see no harm to the plant so why not.

Dwnundr

Upside down
I've done this several times, not for any reason other than once I start trimming (I wet trim, i find its easier), I turn the lights off, sometimes if lifes busy it can take me a few days to get it all done. I've never noticed any difference good or bad from the first buds trimmed compared to the last ones that have been in the dark for 3 days.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I just chopped two Orange Blossom Specials and one La Affie last night after 48 hrs of dark to see if the orange terps stand out more so than my previous harvest. These were all revegged so it should be a good comparison.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I just chopped two Orange Blossom Specials and one La Affie last night after 48 hrs of dark to see if the orange terps stand out more so than my previous harvest. These were all revegged so it should be a good comparison.
Let us know what you think after sampling some. I have been doing the same thing but i have a feeling that @Dwnundr is most likely spot on. Not saying it is not there but i can not recall a study and solid thc testing that positively proves this broscience.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I reread your first post. Do you have a link to that study?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
They should have included all THC so you could see if maybe THC C or another compound was also higher. Because there is a vanishing difference with no logical reason (dissipation of terps resulted in the loss? Or the loss was converted to a different tHC or CBD or whatever compound.
Personally I want the terps. I can squeeze the THC. I will keep chop wet trim and into the drying rack! it works. And there is less chance of mold. I hate when you get mold on perfect buds its sad.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
They should have included all THC so you could see if maybe THC C or another compound was also higher. Because there is a vanishing difference with no logical reason (dissipation of terps resulted in the loss? Or the loss was converted to a different tHC or CBD or whatever compound.
Personally I want the terps. I can squeeze the THC. I will keep chop wet trim and into the drying rack! it works. And there is less chance of mold. I hate when you get mold on perfect buds its sad.
I have also herd that the testing is not that consistent. It is hard to change a method when it works well for you.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I'm with gwheels........terps are important. Based on those conclusions on that chart, I am staying with a normal dark period ( which is 12 hrs), then cut.
Maybe i need to rethink my dark period. I agree with both of you that terps are important to me these days. And like @gwheels said we can always press or add kief to bring the THC numbers up. But you can not get the terps back once they are gone. So sounds like the 12 hr dark would best for retaining the terpenes according to that testing that was posted.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have been giving mine 36 hrs of dark and cutting the main stalk before turning lights on for several years now. I am really not sure how much it helps but i see no harm to the plant so why not.
I have always cut them after the "dew" burns off in the morning. I let them get light a couple hrs before I cut indoors. Been doing it this way for close to 40 years. I can't tell any difference in keeping them in dark. It's really about when you decide your flower is ripe and at maximum potency. People pull way too early for various reasons. You can see it in their pics. Unless you have your grow dialed in perfect, that little bit of darkness isn't gonna be noticed. Just my opinion.