Curing containers???

angel4us

Super Active Member
There seems to be nationwide shortage on canning jars and lids !!!
Is it possible to cure buds in plastic five gallon buckets with lid????

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
^

and that’s exactly what I was gonna suggest

fuck getting jars ( omg that’s hard, even for small scale)

its so nice to put your plant if you chop it into piece ( like so you can hold it to trim) than out the whole thing into a 5 gal vs jar and have to quickly do it then and there + jars leak and you you shouldn’t be “ curing and processing” it that way anyways. I would suggest 1. Get gamma seals like suggested in video , 2. Always get food grade buckets ( normally 1-3 dollars more) 3. get 62% humidity checker so when your “ burping your buckets ( which you need to for 7-14 days for 30 minutes-1hr) it will remove the bad gases and the longer the beer as long as you aren’t getting mold ( you do you think the whole wine and so many other industries spend so much on process and curing ? You think it’s just for a the fun and game ? I don’t think so it’s prolly 20-30% end results buddy ) 4. From the get go have a 62% humidity pack ( fuck boveda they suck and once they are done they freeze up, brand I use aka integra boost now if the humidty is higher= it retains it but keeps everything at 62% and nothing beyond the 1%) tip to buying the packs is buy 60g versions and buy in bulk or youll get ripped off

cool thing about the INTREva boost is I can have some that are even 1-2+ years old and they have identifier tools built in on them ( both brands do) and boost never lose. just put some fresh and they will gain their freshness back vs a boveda and they become expired over time and will freeze up

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
the plastic rubbermaid totes work well depending on how much your harvesting.

ive used the smaller totes before for smaller runs. Drop a humidity guage inside and your good to go. burp every day or every other day as your normally would.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

ive used the smaller totes before for smaller runs. Drop a humidity guage inside and your good to go. burp every day or every other day as your normally would.
Most of those totes have holes in them near the handle so they aren't air tight. Duck-tape LOL

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Most of those totes have holes in them near the handle so they aren't air tight. Duck-tape LOL
weird i have 4 or 5 of the smaller ones. no holes and there all pretty tight

the bigger ones on the other hand always seem to fit loose around the top.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
My debate with “touts “ I would have np using a tout to bring in the plant or even cut the plant off for “step 1” (like if your outdoors and u needed transfer it ) than if it was me , hang dry the whole plant and never even cut any of the leafs ( too many people want to cut off even the big leafs ) main reason I say this is more time spent in the room = light damages bud (even going and out or small
Amounts can show am the difference , it’s a art)= you need perfect humidity % and air flow should be moving but not on that

Than you need to be bending the stem daily at the 7-14 day marker and once the stem breaks and “snaps “ but doesn’t break off , your ready to cut it off the stems and then put in the buckets ...

Cut it into untrimmed pieces so you can easily trim and burp the buckets for 7–15 days cause burping does show ( I’ve done compared on 50% yea burped 50% not burped on same plant and put it in 2 buckets and it def taste better , like fine wine)

Key is just potato chip , you need to have those. It’s once “ready “ on the lines . Put into buckets and have silica cells and everything treated and preserved cause once the terps by damaged = you can’t get em back . Point is too many growers they will even have shit tons out even when they are trimming or bags /touts for convenience . Terps are veg fragile and once they are gone it’s done

Best way once you are done trimming inless you are smoking it . Bagseal it or if your commerical nitrogen infuse (that’s where a lot clubs sell their bag secret on keeping the terp) that or see freezing

To finialize your product and I’ve been doing this and it shows cause when I open even a 1+ year old bag ( smells as good as it was opened ) = jars leaks

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
with harvesting more than 4 plants at 1 time, burping glass jars can be tedious. im getting ready to switch over to using the small totes full time. ill post a pic of the kind im talking about for storing buds. i use them now for storing trim before bho runs

i got the idea by watching the jungle boys use totes for transportation and storage before it hits the store

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
My debate with “touts “ I would have np using a tout to bring in the plant or even cut the plant off for “step 1” (like if your outdoors and u needed transfer it ) than if it was me , hang dry the whole plant and never even cut any of the leafs ( too many people want to cut off even the big leafs ) main reason I say this is more time spent in the room = light damages bud (even going and out or small
Amounts can show am the difference , it’s a art)= you need perfect humidity % and air flow should be moving but not on that

Than you need to be bending the stem daily at the 7-14 day marker and once the stem breaks and “snaps “ but doesn’t break off , your ready to cut it off the stems and then put in the buckets ...

Cut it into untrimmed pieces so you can easily trim and burp the buckets for 7–15 days cause burping does show ( I’ve done compared on 50% yea burped 50% not burped on same plant and put it in 2 buckets and it def taste better , like fine wine)

Key is just potato chip , you need to have those. It’s once “ready “ on the lines . Put into buckets and have silica cells and everything treated and preserved cause once the terps by damaged = you can’t get em back . Point is too many growers they will even have shit tons out even when they are trimming or bags /touts for convenience . Terps are veg fragile and once they are gone it’s done

Best way once you are done trimming inless you are smoking it . Bagseal it or if your commerical nitrogen infuse (that’s where a lot clubs sell their bag secret on keeping the terp) that or see freezing

To finialize your product and I’ve been doing this and it shows cause when I open even a 1+ year old bag ( smells as good as it was opened ) = jars leaks

the whole process is an artform man. :D i think of it alot like a banana or just as you said a fine wine.

smaller growers have the advanatage of really being able to fine tune this process and not be strapped by monetary or consumer demand. The more you grow the harder it is to keep your attention on any 1 paticular strain. most of the time when your running a commercial op you want the plants in and out as fast as possible. cutting corners in some of these areas.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone

I have found that if you let it dry until it snaps, it’s too dry and your cure is ruined. I’d recommend getting it in a container well before it snaps.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Agreed - even if it means that burping includes dumping the container to let it air for a few minutes as well.
Most of us don’t have a room or device for “perfect conditions”, and if you did, then the hang til it snaps might work.
If you don’t have perfect conditions, get it in a container well before the snapping point so you can control the rate of drying.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Most of us don’t have a room or device for “perfect conditions”, and if you did, then the hang til it snaps might work.
If you don’t have perfect conditions, get it in a container well before the snapping point so you can control the rate of drying.
I say might work, because I’ve never had perfect conditions during the dry to see if it would work.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I say might work, because I’ve never had perfect conditions during the dry to see if it would work.
I have a great environment for drying, and I still haven't let it 'snap' before jarring. I check it real close depending on how much weight it loses in the first few burpings. If it stays in the jar with a 62% pack and doesn't gain or lose weight, the dry was nailed. I have done it a few times, but the one time I let it go and it actually gained weight in the jar (too dry) it was not as good.

Now1more

Super Active Member

I have a buddy who does this. I personally use Mason Jars and stocked up a long time ago. My only concern is the plastic off gassing. Maybe not a big deal. But, I just feel like glass is where it should be.

Now1more

Super Active Member
One suggestion. I've never done it, but a friend of mine does, is to take old candle jars and use to cure. His wife goes through candles left and right. Literally 2 big ass candles a week!