Crispy Leaves šŸ

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Hey all, anyone know what causes leaves to go all crispy like this?

Not that it matters because this plant is at day 78 and itā€™s coming down anyway. I have a few that did this , but others didnā€™t and they all got the same light, food, water etc. They donā€™t look very nice, so if I can avoid it by doing or not doing something, Iā€™m all over it.

CED5A60B-ED31-415F-ACAF-2DFB65E41AA0.jpegBCB71B96-8221-43EF-9415-0A591160064E.jpeg

Grow Harder

Super Active Member

Not that it matters because this plant is at day 78 and itā€™s coming down anyway. I have a few that did this , but others didnā€™t and they all got the same light, food, water etc. They donā€™t look very nice, so if I can avoid it by doing or not doing something, Iā€™m all over it.

View attachment 86891View attachment 86892
My Zkittlez does this religiously . I've been cloning and growing her for going on a year and I still haven't figured it out. She buds fine but by the end of flower she's frickin CRISSPY. I HATE IT LOL but since she grows fine and none of my other plants have anything close to this. My Zkittlez looked 3 times worse than yours. For this reason, I almost trashed her but she way too fire. I still enjoy her despite her VERY consistent crisping. I fed her more, raised light, Temps, etc. She just does it over n over. Its gotten worse since moving and my air is dry. Maybe she's absolutely hating that šŸ¤”

Kushash

Insanely Active Member

Hi Old ST1R
This is an example of how a comp with the same seeds can be a learning experience.
Everyone growing the same strain and documenting details along the way.

My 1st thought is it's a nutrient excess. Looks like it started a while back. Pics of the plant 3 weeks ago would be interesting to see if you have them when the problem 1st started.

Low humidity and to much light will cause the plant to transpire more.
If you are using synthetic nutes or if you are increasing P in mid or late flower that might be an issue.

It will be fun to follow each others grows to find ways to dial things in.
I'd be curious to see a list of the fertilizers you feed, I looked through your journal for a few pages but I don't think I saw a complete list of fertilizers used.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk

Can you look at your roots? If it's not nutrient burn, maybe your above canopy humidity is low resulting in high leaf temps causing stomata to close to conserve moisture on those "certain" tops.
Looks like your flower has a case of heat rash. lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have seen that on a few of my plants that have gone past 10 weeks. Not all though. I think it might be strain dependent (partly) as to which are going to fade quick late. But you also probably stop feeding them (organic) or flush them(salts) which means that it should actually be a nutrient deficiency.

So I have been looking into how late I feed them. Some of the plants that go long I may have stopped feeding too early.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I also got to thinking about if I ever really tasted a difference "flushed" and not, and since I am doing organic I said screw it and feed them every week or 10 days until I see ambers and know I'm chopping :)

I know I haven't seen any nute-burn on anything from overfeeding with the stuff I use, so I just keep it simple. and stop guessing.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
FWIW, the buds will be fine. I love the kief too though and that can make a crop of trim kind of suck. You'll lose a large percentage of trich-heads to death on the plant. Things probably blow around like pollen LOL

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Hi Old ST1R
This is an example of how a comp with the same seeds can be a learning experience.
Everyone growing the same strain and documenting details along the way.

My 1st thought is it's a nutrient excess. Looks like it started a while back. Pics of the plant 3 weeks ago would be interesting to see if you have them when the problem 1st started.

Low humidity and to much light will cause the plant to transpire more.
If you are using synthetic nutes or if you are increasing P in mid or late flower that might be an issue.

It will be fun to follow each others grows to find ways to dial things in.
I'd be curious to see a list of the fertilizers you feed, I looked through your journal for a few pages but I don't think I saw a complete list of fertilizers used.
These oneā€™s were all fed Mega Crop. I had a few other in a different tent that got few Renoā€™s, and did the same thing. I think it might be a low humidity issue like anodyne said.

Kushash

Insanely Active Member
These oneā€™s were all fed Mega Crop. I had a few other in a different tent that got few Renoā€™s, and did the same thing. I think it might be a low humidity issue like anodyne said.
I totally agree with that. Low humidity will play a roll.
If you are growing with low humidity the plant needs more water and less food.
With a higher humidity transpiration will slow so a higher humidity may resolve the problem.
MJ can be grown in low humidity, the key would be decreasing the light intensity or back it off a few inches depending on the light and also decrease the amount of food to keep it green.

It's just a guess at this point for me but I'm feeling like when it 1st appeared your reaction may have been that it was hungry when in fact it wanted less food or less light and as mentioned on another thread, a low soil PH can also be a problem locking out nutrients that affect the top leaves.
Sometimes a soil needs lime at the flip if the PH started out on the low side and then continued to fall.
To much phosphorus will cause lockouts that start as a yellowing of the upper leaves that is often miss read as a deficiency.

Anyway just my 2c. It may not be the same conclusions others come to but I wanted to share my thoughts. I'm sure there will be loads of grow talk during the comp. Now I'm nervously waiting for my seeds to pop in the next 48 hours.
Happy Growing!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I totally agree with that. Low humidity will play a roll.
If you are growing with low humidity the plant needs more water and less food.
With a higher humidity transpiration will slow so a higher humidity may resolve the problem.
MJ can be grown in low humidity, the key would be decreasing the light intensity or back it off a few inches depending on the light and also decrease the amount of food to keep it green.

It's just a guess at this point for me but I'm feeling like when it 1st appeared your reaction may have been that it was hungry when in fact it wanted less food or less light and as mentioned on another thread, a low soil PH can also be a problem locking out nutrients that affect the top leaves.
Sometimes a soil needs lime at the flip if the PH started out on the low side and then continued to fall.
To much phosphorus will cause lockouts that start as a yellowing of the upper leaves that is often miss read as a deficiency.

Anyway just my 2c. It may not be the same conclusions others come to but I wanted to share my thoughts. I'm sure there will be loads of grow talk during the comp. Now I'm nervously waiting for my seeds to pop in the next 48 hours.
Happy Growing!
My PH was varying from midways to the bottom in my containers. Was dropping to around 5.5 PH in the bottom 2 inches. I had noticed it was getting longer and longer between needing water. It was beginning to lock the nutes out. I mixed up "lime" water and gave them a nice shot and sprayed the bottom 2 inches through the felt container to help wash more out. Then, next day, mixed Humic acid and molasses with a dash of microbes.
I see most of you add a Cal/Mag solution of some sorts when you start seeing problems.
Personally, I hardly ever use Cal/Mag, but I have in the past.
Normally, it's something simple that's causing the plant not to be happy.
We freak out and begin treating a "symptom" and not the cause.

Grow Harder

Super Active Member
Here's a growers favorite phrase to hear. Ready?

" it's just strain dependent " .......

Yea, thanks bud, that solves everything šŸ™„.
Anybody every hear this when the know it all runs out of material? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ . its gotta be the " go to " phrase for growers worldwide