CrimsonEcho’s pollen mothers!

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
By the way guys i want to clear some things here. You may have noticed that i use some unfamiliar terms in my posts. Pollen mother, genotype etc. I want to share my reasoning here with you and see if it makes sense to you too. Or if it doesn’t enlighten me please.

First of all i use the term pollen mother because the plants i’m reversing with sts are not true male parents. So i want to emphasize that and “reversed female” seems just a little dull. Pollen mother on the other hand sounds better. But i’m refering to the reversed female as you all understand.

Also there is this genotype thing. I know the common term is phenotype and i know phenotype is a result of genotype and the environment. Actually there is no way to observe genotype without pricey lab tests. Genotyping. The reason i’m using the term genotype is that the only difference between my plants are the genetic differences they carry imo. I come to that conclusion because the environment they have been growing in is the same. Feeding, temps, light intensity etc. So it makes sense to me to use genotype in this situation as every seed is a different genotype and the environment they grew in is the same but i can also understand that phenotype is the observable expressions of those genes and it also applies because these are all observable traits cause by difference in genotype. So i may go with pheno or geno. I’m not really sure which one applies better.

I’m thinking of 2 kids. Twins. From birth to death ate the same, read the same, slept the same etc. They completely mirrored each other. Now if there are any differences in their phenotype (ie. Different heights) and there will be many, would this not be caused by the difference in genotype?

Am i making this too complicated, should i just say fuck it and go with either hahaha?

crimsonecho

Here is the stress. Those brown crinkly leaf tips and leaves were not there after the first applicaiton. There was slight browning on some not this much. Now i want to see if i can get pollen without even stressing the gals. Because i’m sure i can manage with a more dilute solution and multiple applications but this run is not for experimenting. I want to see how or if sts works then i can move on to messing with the dosage.

DE46B683-862C-4A0E-A41D-A8083D77EDAC.jpeg7FD3DECD-9AF6-4D29-B935-966AC58B9980.jpeg

Preflowers still seem female but with cs it took 2 weeks for pistils to die so i’m hopeful. After seeing this stress i’m not gonna apply sts for a week at least.

SSGrower

Average Grower
IDK pollen donor seems apropriate, but pollen mother is more clear. Since I prefer regs I look for designation of female seeds. I am always forgetting though is it the cross or arrow? Pretty soon I think people will begin reversing males, so I do think we need a simple convention for this. With a reversed male it would be gestational father or something like that.
Pheno vs. Geno? Even in the same area there will be variances in the environment, I think stick with pheno. Genotype seems like a larger class (or philum, no, subspecies? dont know my bio well enough) (sativa, indica, ruderallis).

crimsonecho

IDK pollen donor seems apropriate, but pollen mother is more clear. Since I prefer regs I look for designation of female seeds. I am always forgetting though is it the cross or arrow? Pretty soon I think people will begin reversing males, so I do think we need a simple convention for this. With a reversed male it would be gestational father or something like that.
Pheno vs. Geno? Even in the same area there will be variances in the environment, I think stick with pheno. Genotype seems like a larger class (or philum, no, subspecies? dont know my bio well enough) (sativa, indica, ruderallis).
Yeah pollen mother is cute. I’m gonna go with it i think. Cross is female and arrow is male. Arrow looks like a dick. Thats how i remember :D

Well pheno goes like this. Genotype + environment + genotype and environment interactions = phenotype.

Every seed of each cultivar is a different genotype. The sativa, indica thing is a classification of subspecies i think.

It does make sense a bit as they have all been grown at the same time in the same tent under same conditions. So that kinda leaves genotype and the interactions between environment. Yeah maybe i shouls stick with phenotype too because my biology is not that good either. Can’t make a solid argument for or against either haha.

Last edited:

crimsonecho

One more goal achieved. I just harvested my first labeled seeds. When the first chuck started there was one more seed mother in there and when i thought the experiment failed i said fuck it, pulled it out, transplanted into a little pot and put it with the bonsai mothers on 18/6. Now after about 2 months today i saw this.

BD35E619-F9E7-418A-B2B6-CC2CF23A4A55.jpegD03315BB-784B-44E3-A9F9-43B2CC468045.jpeg

I did a bit of pruning. Cut most of it down. Found couple more seeds. Not a huge haul but my first labeled seeds.

C907AF40-1FB9-48B2-B0E5-CFEB6CF914DB.jpeg

I’m pretty excited to get seeds from a revegging gal. Can really talk about the quality or viability at this point but still it is exciting. At least 2 months under veg lights and still intact and pretty healthy looking. Some haven’t really matured enough but who cares hahha.

crimsonecho

One more goal achieved. I just harvested my first labeled seeds. When the first chuck started there was one more seed mother in there and when i thought the experiment failed i said fuck it, pulled it out, transplanted into a little pot and put it with the bonsai mothers on 18/6. Now after about 2 months today i saw this.

View attachment 10596View attachment 10597

I did a bit of pruning. Cut most of it down. Found couple more seeds. Not a huge haul but my first labeled seeds.

View attachment 10598

I’m pretty excited to get seeds from a revegging gal. Can really talk about the quality or viability at this point but still it is exciting. At least 2 months under veg lights and still intact and pretty healthy looking. Some haven’t really matured enough but who cares hahha.
So its a cross between this

17D7C227-20FA-46E5-B839-C39B3CDC0E55.jpeg

And this

CC8715E8-1244-4CDC-8E58-67C0970BF508.jpeg

Purple afghan kush #1 has amazing pineapple-grape smell. Incredibly fruity over all. Also has this great colour and downward cupping leaves. And blueberry #3 is, well blueberry taste with big big buds and high yield.The resulting cross could be a mindfuck! Smell and taste-wise. A big fruit smoothie. And increased yield would be nice too. Is there such a pheno in the 17 seeds i managed to pull? Who knows! But i’m pretty excited and i’m gonna at least crack a couple after they dry for a couple of weeks.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
What era is your blueberry from? I have a few f2s (assuming i bought f1s) from DP stock around 2006-7 if my memory serves me right. I had a few hundred seeds from 3 different phenos from an open pollination. I grew so many of those outdoors, never cloned nothing just harvested, but i had one or two id give anything to have back. They had that imitation blueberry smell like the blueberry muffins or something like that. Exceptional taste and high. Im wanting to gather some older stock and see what i can come up with. The late 90s early 2000s era blueberry is one of the best smokes ive ever come across.

crimsonecho

What era is your blueberry from? I have a few f2s (assuming i bought f1s) from DP stock around 2006-7 if my memory serves me right. I had a few hundred seeds from 3 different phenos from an open pollination. I grew so many of those outdoors, never cloned nothing just harvested, but i had one or two id give anything to have back. They had that imitation blueberry smell like the blueberry muffins or something like that. Exceptional taste and high. Im wanting to gather some older stock and see what i can come up with. The late 90s early 2000s era blueberry is one of the best smokes ive ever come across.
Oh these are new. From the stock of 2017. Haha. Growing cannabis is a new thing for me. Its only been couple of years since i started.

But i smoked a ton over the years and if you could ever taste this you would like it i’m sure. I like my blueberries.

That imitation kinda smell is dominant in the blueberry #2 pheno. I’m keeping both. As far as the highs they are both equally good. #2 seems more stoney, sleepy. #3 more uplifting, giggly. Don’t know man i like ‘em all!

And you know its blueberry so i’m sure there will be shit ton of variations in the offspring and i only grow for the taste and the smell so i’ll keep breeding or growing those phenos.

I wish i kept the labeling of the prior seed-mothers. There was a cross between #2 and #3. Well gonna have to do that again i guess :)

crimsonecho

An update.

I did just one more, even after i said i wouldn’t. Hahha. Couldn’t keep my self away when i saw the preflowers i just wanted to hit one more time. An habit from using cs. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t absolutely necessary but you know, better safe than sorry. I used a dilute solution. 1:1 with water. Well it seems ok. That haven’t put too much stress on it as far as i can see. Its been 2 days and here is my gal.

Well, as long as she is happy.. :)

9CA54F72-FF1A-4216-8710-62A42DAD5CD9.jpegAA12617B-1F3B-4117-BF89-CD1AD80F1D31.jpeg82CBE6FE-0D20-417D-AEBB-E2797BC48A1A.jpeg

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder

View attachment 10596View attachment 10597

View attachment 10598

Now that u created them u gotta give a name
So its a cross between this

View attachment 10658

And this

View attachment 10657

Purple afghan kush #1 has amazing pineapple-grape smell. Incredibly fruity over all. Also has this great colour and downward cupping leaves. And blueberry #3 is, well blueberry taste with big big buds and high yield.The resulting cross could be a mindfuck! Smell and taste-wise. A big fruit smoothie. And increased yield would be nice too. Is there such a pheno in the 17 seeds i managed to pull? Who knows! But i’m pretty excited and i’m gonna at least crack a couple after they dry for a couple of weeks.
you gotta give it a name now lol nicely done

crimsonecho

Fine, without knowing absolutely nothing about their qualities, i shall name this cross “Indigo Lily”. Haha.

Is that name taken already :D
959E2E6E-A0AA-4141-9CAB-278C1C512624.jpeg

Well once you name it you gotta grow it to see if the parents breed true for the specific traits or how well those traits expressed in the offspring etc. Don’t really know, again i suck at biology. I’m more of a history and literature guy.

But i’m loving this stuff and when i get off my ass and turn up the nerd dial to 11, forget about it! Hahah.

So here goes the indigo lily.

Indigo because the parent Purple Afghan Kush #3, after drying has these nice indigo-blue sugar leaves and i just don’t want to call it blue, because most of the strains that has blueberry in them is blue something or something blue :D

Lily because, as lilies open and mature, their tips also bend downwards and look similar to the leaf tips of Purple Afghan Kush. Also i like lilies. They are pretty and so is this plant.

crimsonecho

View attachment 11185

Well once you name it you gotta grow it to see if the parents breed true for the specific traits or how well those traits expressed in the offspring etc. Don’t really know, again i suck at biology. I’m more of a history and literature guy.

But i’m loving this stuff and when i get off my ass and turn up the nerd dial to 11, forget about it! Hahah.

So here goes the indigo lily.

Indigo because the parent Purple Afghan Kush #3, after drying has these nice indigo-blue sugar leaves and i just don’t want to call it blue, because most of the strains that has blueberry in them is blue something or something blue :D

Lily because, as lilies open and mature, their tips also bend downwards and look similar to the leaf tips of Purple Afghan Kush. Also i like lilies. They are pretty and so is this plant.
Oh man its not the purple afghan kush #3 its #1. Well still the morphology is pretty much the same. Same leaves and same colour. Man when i get high, i get high! Hahha.

crimsonecho

4 blueberry bastards test run is going well. The spots on the lower leaves is light stress. I always get that when i move under my main lights. But new growth seems immaculate.

2004B61B-00D6-4ACC-AC5C-23213FEB8D4E.jpeg

And here is the pollen mother. Is she stressed? Yes. Is it worse than my first run with cs? No. It actually looks better. But in time i’m sure i can fine tune it to minimalize the stress.

1293375E-34AB-43C5-94D1-BDCE0698180C.jpeg

And here they are future seed mothers. Waiting anxiously. I keep pruning them to keep them short. If given chance, they would probably be two times as big as they are now.

5B17FEB4-A891-4AD0-8FB6-4E73C047DB3C.jpeg

Well balls are visible, so maybe 15 more days ‘till i get some pollen. So seed mothers will go into flowering tent in 5 days or so.

crimsonecho

By the way these are the healthiest clones i was ever able to take. Did something different with them. I put them in water with aloe gel for 24hrs and transplanted into straight peat.

Cloning is always a hassle for me and my success is pretty low with cloning. I even diyed a bubble cloner but nothing gave me roots in 7 days. Also they just look amazing.

My cloning environment sucks and i’m a lazy guy. This technique suits both of those qualities found associated with my life. Hahah.

DF32C112-F95D-42A1-9FFD-2C103A2E4C92.jpegCFC1BD2D-9EFD-4360-B481-0E3CE6F63192.jpeg
CE71FFA2-195E-4D81-A0B7-B6F90BA04B61.jpeg
46527141-0983-4326-8252-6EFA28EC368E.jpeg

Last edited: