Crazy idea. Moving outdoors into indoors. From soil to pots

Now1more

Super Active Member
I don't want to do this, but the weather this year has really been crazy. We didn't have much of a summer. It was really an extra long Spring. Summer hit, and nothing, couple of weeks. Now we're half way through September and it's been cold. We're hitting 36 tonight and 33 for the next two days.

I'm afraid my garden is not going to make it!

Has anyone ever dug up plants from outdoors and moved them inside to finish?

First the meatheads who didn't read thoroughly... they're not in pots... they're in the ground.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
You are going to stress them out hugely because the roots will be wide and deep. I moved flowering plants from another property to mine last year, in early flower, they never recovered from the move, and I was very careful about digging up a 36" wide root ball to avoid chopping roots. The plants would be better off dealing with the cold temps and they can handle temps in the mid 30s. They won't grow more in those temps, but it won't kill them.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I'm in the same boat, it was 27 this morning. Mine are in ground growing through the 2 gallon fabric pots I started them in though. Good luck vato, looks like I'll be doing the same here soon. My little mars hydro ts1000 might have to figure out how to cover a 6'x6' space lol

D

Deleted member 60

I wouldn't dig em up. If the low is just touching on those temps early AM for a few hours you should be OK. It's extended freezing temps that screw the pooch from my experience.

What is the extended forecast after these low temps pass the next few nights? Will it warm back up? Any chance of doing what @hhibrownsbacker suggested?

I grow in 30 gal fabric pots for this very reason. We nearly always get a cold snap (or 20 inches of snow..like last week) sometime in Sept.. It's a pain moving them but it does give a guy options. Good luck.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Its 39 right now and the forecast says a low of 37. The next few nights say 39 but it was supposed to be a low of 40 last night and I woke up to a frosty 27. I think I might be investing in some larger brown fabric pots for next season.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
People don’t realize how much these plants as long as they arent in super small container and not being rained on can take quite a beating and survive it. I have done till snow and made it no problem . Just don’t get greedy with letting Those top nugs stay out too long and always if it was me check daily for bud rot and remove any ( and make sure to clean your hands/scissors in between cuts and touches of plants, think of yourself as a doc and the plants as a patient and they you need to make sure they sterilization and cleanliness is the key to winning )

it’s the rain and cold that gets ya (budrot sucks) . so if you can get these next few weeks-days for consistent non rain days and non rain days you should be game . a big tip is even after every rain I ( if available to do so) shake the plants tomato cages /2nd cage and that will make the drop drops and buds not have and of that main water be absorbed ( doing that makes a huge difference exp when you know the rain has stopped and you can remove a huge % of water mass )

(At right time ) next is cut off your tops before they get infected + they are the bud that always gets infects vs the mid range and small ( w/e you start seeing first time of molds or bad weathers) and that will then make mid ranges and bottoms more energy towards them vs the tops . I’ve been trying that method to save my tops since bud rot kills the tops so many times and then you can get better efficiency with your rest of your plant by the time the tops are almost dry or cut the rets of the plant when the weather can’t last.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A couple had droopy leaves and some leaves turned purple. I was surprised they faired so well, the micro-climate they are in probably helped keep the big frost off.
You can always do what they do for other 'houseplants' outside when it's calling for a hard frost. Cover them with a bed sheet before the dew sets in. You can jam sticks in the ground to keep the sheet off the plant but the ground heat should keep the 'tent' from freezing if you are just getting the early morning freezing temps.

Now1more

Super Active Member
Thanks for the replies. My issue is that I'm in Maine and this is mid-September, not ever! this cold!!! I have long running sativas going. I don't think at this rate that they'll make it to November. Any other year, no issue. This year has just been so strange.

I put a frame over it yesterday. Today I'm setting some 4x4s in the ground and throwing my unused greenhouse over it. Kind of a double layer. Going to leave them alone and hope for the best, but seeing frost this early makes me nervous.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It would be perfect if you had a small tent or awning or something you could put over it easily. Maybe a temporary/portable greenhouse? Has to be something out there because you are not the first to deal with this.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It would be perfect if you had a small tent or awning or something you could put over it easily. Maybe a temporary/portable greenhouse? Has to be something out there because you are not the first to deal with this.
And if there ain't, lets make something and sell it! 'Murica!!! :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 60

I hope his plants are a >bit< larger than that.....LOL. Either way.....how did you fare last night @Now1more ?

Was wondering where you were in the US to be seeing such cold. I looked at forecasts up that way and it seems you will come out of it. Glad to hear you took measure to protect em. Hopefully the ladies will be OK until this passes and it warms a bit.

Now1more

Super Active Member
@stiickygreen I did ok. The first frame is a greenhouse, but the cover is shredded. Today the larger greenhouse will go over it. I think it should work out ok. Winds are my biggest concern. I just had to live on top of a damn mountain. Lol