Cold climate growing

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I have plants that have been revegging since mid October. Temps have been 55-62 lights on/43-50 lights off and I have just enough growth to start taking a few cuttings from most. The only one that is barely showing a possibility of new growth is a NL tester from Hillbilly Bob (CLG) but I'm not blaming the genetics, I don't think I left enough foliage for it to recover.

But like they said the growth is slow.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I think you're gonna spend alot heating it, even if you bury in halfway in the dirt.
There are quite a few youtube videos of people with high tunnels where the force air between two layers of plastic go maintain an insulative air barrier and without any other external heat they are keeping temps in the 40s and higher. That being said, i've seen some high tunnel setups with DIY geothermal that look kick ass and super efficient.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I have a high tunnel and a small half in the ground greenhouse but besides heating we only get 8 hrs of daylight this time of year so lights are also needed with the current value of product it just doesn't pencil out for me these days our winters are just to harsh this week it's been below zero with -20 wind chill but oh man I still want to be growing I did use a huge pile of lawn clippings and leaves one year with a rolls of black Polly pipe in middle pump water thru it loop the poly pipe throughout your beds holy Hanna I could roast a pig in the center of the pile with some tweaking it would work but I got all busted up and that was that lol read up on heating with compost it could work for you bro

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have a high tunnel and a small half in the ground greenhouse but besides heating we only get 8 hrs of daylight this time of year so lights are also needed with the current value of product it just doesn't pencil out for me these days our winters are just to harsh this week it's been below zero with -20 wind chill but oh man I still want to be growing I did use a huge pile of lawn clippings and leaves one year with a rolls of black Polly pipe in middle pump water thru it loop the poly pipe throughout your beds holy Hanna I could roast a pig in the center of the pile with some tweaking it would work but I got all busted up and that was that lol read up on heating with compost it could work for you bro
I’ve heard of people filling 55 gallon drums with compost and putting them in barns to help knock the edge off the cold.

Streetpro09

Tester
There are quite a few youtube videos of people with high tunnels where the force air between two layers of plastic go maintain an insulative air barrier and without any other external heat they are keeping temps in the 40s and higher. That being said, i've seen some high tunnel setups with DIY geothermal that look kick ass and super efficient.
What air are they forcing between the two layers. Freezing air from outside or some kind of conditioned air from ???? Keeping temps above freezing and achieving temps to grow successfully and quite a ways apart from each other. Are you going to try and grow and flower plants in winter or just trying to keep genetics alive thru the winter? I'm curious to see how it works out for you. Please keep us updated.