CLONE COLD STORAGE EXPERIMENT.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Cold storage experiment for cuts!
Okay guys here is a little experiment I want to try out.​

While reading a very old thread on another forum there were people claiming to be able to get 75% success rates at rooting cuts that had been stored dry in the fridge for up to 2 months! And much higher rates on rooting up to the 5 week mark with most that tried it claiming 90% and better.

So I will be doing this experiment to see if there is any truth to this. I took cuts from 2 separate plants. I let them have roughly a 30 min soak in water before being shaken and bagged. The bags air was sucked out, but the corner of the bag left open and folded over.

357BA099-4B94-4B35-88EA-B8E8BA2E325A.jpeg

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
I will be attempting to root these cuts at different week intervals to see if they root. I took big cuttings so I can give a fresh cut and let them soak in a cup for a few hours before trying to root them.

If this works it would be a valuable way for many to keep genetics around think vacations, moving, or just keeping cuts fresh until you need them even.

I had a cutting sent to me back in December they were just dry cuttings in ziplock bags. Due to holiday shipping they were held by the post office for 9days I was able to root those cutting although they took a long time to show roots 3 weeks i a dome in rapid rooters. So I’m hopeful this will work.

D

Deleted member 60

It's called putting them "in stasis"....... on hold for a more common term. They will stay good in the fridge (for the most part...there's always the "shit happens" gig in play)...as that post said....for weeks...possibly months if you want that. I've never tried it but I think you could root them in a cup of water in the same fashion. the only thing to watch for, IMO....is that they may dry out/wilt after coming out of such a humid environment.

How'd they fare?

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
It's called putting them "in stasis"....... on hold for a more common term. They will stay good in the fridge (for the most part...there's always the "shit happens" gig in play)...as that post said....for weeks...possibly months if you want that. I've never tried it but I think you could root them in a cup of water in the same fashion. the only thing to watch for, IMO....is that they may dry out/wilt after coming out of such a humid environment.

How'd they fare?
So far so good they have been in the tray and dome for about 12hr now and they are as perky as ever.
they are being kept in the drawer which is climate controlled with the humidity turned down all the way. (idk how much those drawers work0
but so far so good. im going to be plugging a few each week to see the success rate. these clones will go to the compost bin when or if they root as i only did this a experiment i didnt need these cuts

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
At first I was thinking why? But this could definitely be a game changer for clone shipping.
Just cause is my only why lol. But if someone had to go out of town or something like that they could take snips put em in the fridge and go ( not everyone has someone to care for plants). The three I put in the tray last week are still looking nice and healthy. I’m expecting them to root just fine. I’ll be putting 3 more in today pics later

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
You sure can tell a diff in cold and heat on em. These are from pink box, 2 bought, 2 free. 19 days after receiving no hand warmer couple days in sub freezing temps. I put in fridge for a couple hrs, ocd got me and I just planted and put under softer light. I had wrote 2 off. But they stayed stiff and come out of it. Ice cream cake, zookies, duct tape, and one I'm gonna play with cause it don't sound my cup o tea, trop cherries

Attachments

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just cause is my only why lol. But if someone had to go out of town or something like that they could take snips put em in the fridge and go ( not everyone has someone to care for plants). The three I put in the tray last week are still looking nice and healthy. I’m expecting them to root just fine. I’ll be putting 3 more in today pics later
I was thinking more about how they are shipped (or just transported) from one place to another. Ship it like meat. Styrofoam, an ice-pack, something to keep the pack from touching the clones in the ziplock, done.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Kind of forgot about this thread. I’ll have to do it again with more time one day maybe. But I was able to get the clones to root after the first two weeks in the fridge, I put cuts in plugs after the 3rd week it wasn’t exactly 21 days but not a full 4 weeks I only got one to root from those ones.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Kind of forgot about this thread. I’ll have to do it again with more time one day maybe. But I was able to get the clones to root after the first two weeks in the fridge, I put cuts in plugs after the 3rd week it wasn’t exactly 21 days but not a full 4 weeks I only got one to root from those ones.
It means cold shipping is an option to get a better product through the mail right?