Chucker's Advice

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What is the one piece of advice that you would give a new pollen chucker?
Depends on your goal. This is from a bean-buyers perspective, not a breeders. If you are doing it for you then grow out your beans and see what you made. Learn then make more.

If you're doing it for profit find something new. If you are a new breeder and show up with cake crossed with cookies or whatever, there's nothing to make me want to try that from you over an established breeder that already did that. Grow a lot and find something unique and then share the hell out of it. Make a name as a breeder before trying to put a price tag on your work.

printer

Super Active Member
Would giving the flower a dusting of pollen a number of times days apart result in more seeds? ( had a lot of pods (since I don't know the name otherwise) that could have had seeds but were empty. I figure if I gave it some pollen a week apart they might have produced more. It makes sense to me but I could be wrong.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh - stoner just thought of this. Once you have made beans sharing your work will be the next hurdle unless you know a lot of other growers. Until it is decriminalized, people in prohibition states will be hesitant to hand out addresses to random people on forums.

• Getting in with a community like this is one way. Show what you are doing in a grow journal, make people want to try your work.
  • Hook up with another breeder that has a flock of testers. If reliable people are used to running random beans (with respectable provenance) on short notice, that's a win win.
  • Grow your own herd of testers. Start small, get people on a forum to grow your stuff and share pics. Build a market.
  • If you know someone at a seedbank offer your stuff free and put your name and/or website all over it.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
Oh - stoner just thought of this. Once you have made beans sharing your work will be the next hurdle unless you know a lot of other growers. Until it is decriminalized, people in prohibition states will be hesitant to hand out addresses to random people on forums.

• Getting in with a community like this is one way. Show what you are doing in a grow journal, make people want to try your work.
  • Hook up with another breeder that has a flock of testers. If reliable people are used to running random beans (with respectable provenance) on short notice, that's a win win.
  • Grow your own herd of testers. Start small, get people on a forum to grow your stuff and share pics. Build a market.
  • If you know someone at a seedbank offer your stuff free and put your name and/or website all over it.
solid advice H.A.F. tho some might not have time left to complete things to market.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
solid advice H.A.F. tho some might not have time left to complete things to market.
Ahhhhhhhhhh - if you are jumping on whatever bandwagon strain is passing through, then you have to hit it and forget it. Get that cookies and whatever cross out there quick!

But I ain't buiying it. But if you are working towards your own unique terp profile - and you finally find that taco/pizza pheno that breeds true, it doesn't matter when you get it to market. Then you OWN that market.

D

Deleted member 60

You OWN that market....until...that is.....you take your wares to market. Once you sell 'em...the deal is up on the "exclusive" side of the coin and the next cat is gonna cross those fuckers up and take his turn. Think "Capulator". I had to laugh at someone who has been around a bit like he has (emphasis on "a bit") thinking that his gear could be sold and he'd retain exclusive ownership/could control what happened after the sale. LOL. OOOOooops.

Nope.

I'd say "the hunt"....honesty about your wares... and lots of testing is the way to possbly carve out a niche'. There's SO MUCH lineage in the seeds out there today that I'm sure there's some real gems in the mix if someone was willing to take the time AND HAD THE SPACE to hunt em down. Sadly...that's a rarity anymore....and if something special is found...it just becomes another offering in the mix....cus 10 minutes after it hits the market someone else is using it on their own project....and others are claiming they have it.....and at that point......you just don't know WTF you have.... LOL.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You OWN that market....until...that is.....you take your wares to market. Once you sell 'em...the deal is up on the "exclusive" side of the coin and the next cat is gonna cross those fuckers up and take his turn. Think "Capulator". I had to laugh at someone who has been around a bit like he has (emphasis on "a bit") thinking that his gear could be sold and he'd retain exclusive ownership/could control what happened after the sale. LOL. OOOOooops.

Nope.
You own that market as in you are the "chem fam" or "cookie fam" or some other cats noted as the creators of the line. And it's not about making bank on Caps cut of the MAC. He has the original. If he puts out beans they sell. and the price point is above the rest because of the name he built.

quiescent

Super Active Member
It's nowhere near as hard as other pollen chuckers often make out. Sprout half a pack of 2 reg strains you like, choose one solid male to leave in, turn on your fan, and finish as normal. Remember that herm plant that you missed and got a tent of seeded weed? As easy as that.
I'd say if you want to have a specific end result that's possibly better than it started that it is that complicated.... and then some with regular seeds. I'm currently looking at regular seeds as a way to keep a certain profile, terp based or familial groups, alive and able to cross into similar finds.

Not trying to dissuade you from making regs, theres always the one strain you love and it eventually disappears so good regs should be f2d.

I'm just throwing this out there. Its really easy to just let male and female plants have sex, right? Just about as easy to reverse a plant. Doing it right now for shits and gigs, crazy how simple it is.

Is reversing out of the equation? It can take some finesse to pull off on certain plants but those are pretty rare. It's probably better for finding your own stock/finding true improvements than regular seed breeding as the game isn't as long and complicated as you're able to easily quantify what traits the females both have.

STS is super simple, mix two parts together, add to water. $60 including a couple pump sprayers and a few gallons of distilled water and you can reverse 98% of plants reliably for years and years.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'd say if you want to have a specific end result that's possibly better than it started that it is that complicated.... and then some with regular seeds. I'm currently looking at regular seeds as a way to keep a certain profile, terp based or familial groups, alive and able to cross into similar finds.

Not trying to dissuade you from making regs, theres always the one strain you love and it eventually disappears so good regs should be f2d.

I'm just throwing this out there. Its really easy to just let male and female plants have sex, right? Just about as easy to reverse a plant. Doing it right now for shits and gigs, crazy how simple it is.

Is reversing out of the equation? It can take some finesse to pull off on certain plants but those are pretty rare. It's probably better for finding your own stock/finding true improvements than regular seed breeding as the game isn't as long and complicated as you're able to easily quantify what traits the females both have.

STS is super simple, mix two parts together, add to water. $60 including a couple pump sprayers and a few gallons of distilled water and you can reverse 98% of plants reliably for years and years.
Listening to a lot of the 'from seed' breeders on the pod casts and it seems the general consesnus if that a set of S1's before anything else is the best starting point to lock down the main expressions of a plant. S1 is mostly gonna be like mom. S2's of those are where the ghosts of past generations start popping and you find unicorns - or lock them out.

For the ones that don't reverse some do an open pollenation first for the same reason. No culling, pop that first pack of beans and let them orgy. Get the most expressions in the resulting beans as possible. Then start working back to a goal, or your job can be done because you have a bunch of beans to grow.