changing to simplify

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
I have always grown in soil but have decided to change it up.. I have bought and ebb and flow system for my next grow. trying to automate things because watering gets to be a pain in the ass as you get older. my question is what is the best grow media to use.. im sure there are different preferences for everyone but I am looking for the cleanest, easiest and most simple.. what are your preferences and why? thanks for any and all input.. ☮

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I would use lava balls. They can be cleaned and reused many times saving moneyIMG_20220226_171319708.jpgIMG_20220226_171401668.jpg. This product works nice and can be used any time to clean the lava balls.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I use bleach most of the time. Or if i wanna do an extra good job, I'll fill a couple cookie sheets and bake them at 350 for 20 min.
Baking! I used to boil my lava balls. Sounds perfect for killing bacteria, fungus or algae. Thanks for the tip.
Will it help with cleaning salt buildup? Does the bleach leave residue on or inside the lava balls or effect the ph? Thanks

Last edited:

Streetpro09

Tester
Baking! I used to boil my lava balls. Sounds perfect for killing bacteria, fungus or algae. Thanks for the tip.
Will it help with cleaning salt buildup? Does the bleach leave residue on or inside the lava balls on mess with the ph? Thanks
I rinse with bleach, then plain water, and bake if im feeling froggy. 🤪

I've not had any problems with salt buildup this way. I've been using the same rocks since 2018 or before and don't see any reason to buy more in the future.

As for the ph, I run a rdwc system so my rocks are suspended above the water. Though I'll run the water right up to the bottom of the net pots and don't see much ph swing. Nothing like when using new rocks. If i remember right, new rocks made the ph go up no matter how much i pre washed them.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I rinse with bleach, then plain water, and bake if im feeling froggy. 🤪

I've not had any problems with salt buildup this way. I've been using the same rocks since 2018 or before and don't see any reason to buy more in the future.

As for the ph, I run a rdwc system so my rocks are suspended above the water. Though I'll run the water right up to the bottom of the net pots and don't see much ph swing. Nothing like when using new rocks. If i remember right, new rocks made the ph go up no matter how much i pre washed them.
So you recommend lava balls to @Cobzilla too?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
$15 dollars is there a cheaper way to clean the lava balls
Well, the citric acid could be replaced by lemon juice - not sure the ratio but it wouldn't take much to hit 0.4% content...

Baking soda? Peroxide?

I would say use soil but that ain't the question ;)

D

Deleted member 60

If ya think watering soil plants is gettin' tough....wait til you start washing/rinsing/fucking with Hydroton. When I was rollin hard I tried to wash it/etc....but in the end I just trashed the shit cus it takes waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too long to fuck with after each cycle. I never wanna step on another Hydroton pebble again...LOL. And if yer in an illegal state...be careful cus a few of those balls errantly lost in the yard/etc. where they can be seen is a great tip off that yer growing dope. Nobody else uses this shit...LOL.

And get a UV er somethin....cus it's REALLY a lot of work...moreso than soil...when root rot takes all yer shit out...(twice..back to back for me)....in week 4-5 of flower. Cleaning Hydroton is definitely no fun...but tearing down systems is even less.

Such is why I'm back in the dirt....

best of luck............