Cannabis/vegetable polyculture

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I've seen some people doing small cover crops for the live soil indoor grows, but is anyone doing any larger scale outdoor gardens with cannabis mixed in with tomatoes and peppers and shit like that? If so, please share your experiences!

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
From an article found at https://homegrowncannabisco.com/ by the man Kyle Kushman...

Basil:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels harmful insects like aphids, mites, whiteflies, slugs, snails, mosquitos
- increases terpene production

Lavender:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels fleas, mice, ticks

Marigold:
- visually hides cannabis
- repels moths, whiteflies
- attracts aphids and wasps
- roots produce an insecticide

Chamomile:
- prevents fungus infections
- repels whiteflies and mosquitoes
- attracts hoverflies (which eat other harmful insects)

Lemon balm:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels gnats and mosquitoes

Sunflowers:
- disguises/blocks crops
- attracts bugs that eat spider mites
- more interesting to aphids, slugs and whiteflies than cannabis
- improve soil drainage

Clover:
- increase nitrogen
- improve soil drainage

Peppermint:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels aphids, ants, roaches and mice

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Knowing the good companion plants is good, for whatever. Those are good without weed being in there.

There are some that probably shouldn't be near cannabis. I know cucumbers, squash, pumpkin, watermelon, etc. are really prone to powdery mildew. Probably other stuff like that which is important if you got it handy ;)

From an article found at https://homegrowncannabisco.com/ by the man Kyle Kushman...

Basil:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels harmful insects like aphids, mites, whiteflies, slugs, snails, mosquitos
- increases terpene production

Lavender:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels fleas, mice, ticks

Marigold:
- visually hides cannabis
- repels moths, whiteflies
- attracts aphids and wasps
- roots produce an insecticide

Chamomile:
- prevents fungus infections
- repels whiteflies and mosquitoes
- attracts hoverflies (which eat other harmful insects)

Lemon balm:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels gnats and mosquitoes

Sunflowers:
- disguises/blocks crops
- attracts bugs that eat spider mites
- more interesting to aphids, slugs and whiteflies than cannabis
- improve soil drainage

Clover:
- increase nitrogen
- improve soil drainage

Peppermint:
- masks cannabis smells
- repels aphids, ants, roaches and mice
SWEET list and thanks for sharing PTM (y)
A couple other plants I really like for companion plants in my outdoor veggie garden that supposedly(per humboldt seeds) work/play nice with cannabis are: Citronella, Rosemary, and mint. https://www.humboldtseeds.net/en/blog/plants-herbs-naturally-protect-cannabis-plants-insects/

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
SWEET list and thanks for sharing PTM (y)
A couple other plants I really like for companion plants in my outdoor veggie garden that supposedly(per humboldt seeds) work/play nice with cannabis are: Citronella, Rosemary, and mint. https://www.humboldtseeds.net/en/blog/plants-herbs-naturally-protect-cannabis-plants-insects/
The rosemary and mint are perennial too. If you can pick a permanent spot for them you buy them once. The peppermint will spread with runners like strawberries. Not sure about the citronella.

Bobby Legit

What smells like a skunk, Dad?
I've been looking into planting some insect repelling plants around the outside of my grow room/outbuilding.

While looking into which plants push insects away and which ones pull insects to them, I found a scientific paper summary of an experiment that proved rosemary will push thrips away. They only tested 3 specie of thrips, but it's some proof anyway.

Couldn't figure out how to link it easily so I just screen shot it.

Interesting they say a-pinene repelled 2 of the species.
1000003074.png

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I found a scientific paper summary of an experiment that proved rosemary will push thrips away.
Right, but was that indoor or outdoor? If it's indoor, where are the thrips gonna go if they are repelled by the rosemary? Right to the cannabis plant they love?

In a tent environment, if you are not spraying anything, or releasing beneficial bugs, and are basically accepting that there are thrips and you are being passive about it, a banker plant that would attract thrips more than the cannabis plant would probably work better.

Not sure what that plant might be, but late flower it would be another non-spray option to look into

pinner420

Finally on a roll....
My neighbor plants his parimeter with marigolds hes old school north dakota dirt farmer. 15 years of perfect garden. Burn pile and rototills grass clippings in. Luckily this house has 12ft deep of black soil! Biggest pests here are deer. The marigolds are bought 3 cases at a time and spider mites don't mess with us.

Streetpro09

Tester
I've been looking into planting some insect repelling plants around the outside of my grow room/outbuilding.

While looking into which plants push insects away and which ones pull insects to them, I found a scientific paper summary of an experiment that proved rosemary will push thrips away. They only tested 3 specie of thrips, but it's some proof anyway.

Couldn't figure out how to link it easily so I just screen shot it.

Interesting they say a-pinene repelled 2 of the species.
View attachment 135198
The one thing that i take away from that article was they were using cut leaves. So if you plant rosemary outside you'll have to remember to rough up the plants now and again to release what's inside.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
I've grown quite a few different flowers and most of my veggies intermingled with my pot plants.
Honestly never noticed much repelling of insects.

Had a pic once of the infestation of the 2 spotted brown mite on my marigolds, it was packed with em.
Is touted to be one of the better pest repellent plants....guess mine were freaks!
Don't know what happened to that pic, but found some from my gardens in the past....

Excuse the over load of pics.......I just love looking thru my hundreds of old photos!!_DSC0319.JPG_DSC0312-crop.JPG20170706_111513.jpg_DSC0681.JPGBangi 8-22.JPG

Bobby Legit

What smells like a skunk, Dad?
Ya, considering rosemary will get huge if not trimmed, I plan on trimming it regularly and dropping the cuttings around the perimeter and may hang a few bags of it in the grow.

As far as indoor/outdoor I don't think it matters. Thrips don't like rosemary and they seem to fuck right off and out of the area that has rosemary. Scientifically speaking of course. Lol.

I run beneficial mites in my soil, pirate bugs and mantis for the perimeter outside my grow building, use sticky traps, keep a clean room. Basically all the stuff except spraying as IPM. I will spray if an infestation pops up though.

Adding push plants outside is just another layer.

Marigolds do push some insects, but they also pull in some nasties. Careful with those.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Ya, considering rosemary will get huge if not trimmed, I plan on trimming it regularly and dropping the cuttings around the perimeter and may hang a few bags of it in the grow.

As far as indoor/outdoor I don't think it matters. Thrips don't like rosemary and they seem to fuck right off and out of the area that has rosemary. Scientifically speaking of course. Lol.

I run beneficial mites in my soil, pirate bugs and mantis for the perimeter outside my grow building, use sticky traps, keep a clean room. Basically all the stuff except spraying as IPM. I will spray if an infestation pops up though.

Adding push plants outside is just another layer.

Marigolds do push some insects, but they also pull in some nasties. Careful with those.
all good things to know!