Canadas lack of 12/12

I started growing for the first time indoors October 2018.
Spring 2019 google had me under the assumption that in my area 12/12 would start on Aug 25th.
NOPE
Its now august and nowhere near 12/12. My eldest plants have surpassed their expected size. One of them I have had to trim several times as it keeps trying to break through the 12 ft high ceiling of my greenhouse.

I have decided to rig up some blinds made of B&W poly. Ill post pics as the project comes together.

The toughest part will be rigging something to cover the roof. In a way that allows it to be easily removed and reset every 12 hours and wont blow away in the wind.

If anyone has dealt with this before and has a handyman way of dealing that wont cost a fortune, please post!

20190826_120320.jpg

Keeping them going till the end of october on vancouver island may end up being a bit chilly. But better than waiting for it to happen naturally. They wouldnt end up flipping completely until october. Finnishing in december. I found this pretty astonishing because that means all outdoor grows in BC have to be covered to flip completely before it gets tooo cold. Except autos of course.
I have noticed a few of my plants, especially the ones in need of repotting beginning to flower a bit but only a tad beyond showing their sex. If these plants are then placed in 12/12 they start their flip just as developed as if they were 2-3 weeks in.
However this is only happening with maybe 10% of my crop.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Keeping them going till the end of october on vancouver island may end up being a bit chilly. But better than waiting for it to happen naturally. They wouldnt end up flipping completely until october. Finnishing in december. I found this pretty astonishing because that means all outdoor grows in BC have to be covered to flip completely before it gets tooo cold. Except autos of course.
I have noticed a few of my plants, especially the ones in need of repotting beginning to flower a bit but only a tad beyond showing their sex. If these plants are then placed in 12/12 they start their flip just as developed as if they were 2-3 weeks in.
However this is only happening with maybe 10% of my crop.
If your worried over on the island I’m definitely f@cked lol. I’d just put some heat in there and extend their season. Should be fine 🤙

D

Deleted member 60

The "flip" is far slower outside than inside. Takes a good 3-4 weeks for them to figure it out.
If you are seeing buds form up those plants are likely 2+ weeks into flower.

Looking at Weather Underground....your visible light per day is still over 14 hours.....but the days are shortening by 3 1/2 mins per day. They will respond well soon. Good luck finishing them up.

Opie1

Master Grower
Like Sticky was saying, with the days getting shorter every day, that will be what triggers them to start bloom. The ‘12/12’ concept is not set in stone when growing outdoors.
I’ve had plants that were getting 18 hrs inside, when put outside when there was 15+ hrs they started flowering.
You should be fine, and like these guys have said, you may have to throw just a little heat in with them if it gets really cold, mj is a lot tougher than a lot of people realize. Good luck man!!

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I started growing for the first time indoors October 2018.
Spring 2019 google had me under the assumption that in my area 12/12 would start on Aug 25th.
NOPE
Its now august and nowhere near 12/12. My eldest plants have surpassed their expected size. One of them I have had to trim several times as it keeps trying to break through the 12 ft high ceiling of my greenhouse.

I have decided to rig up some blinds made of B&W poly. Ill post pics as the project comes together.

The toughest part will be rigging something to cover the roof. In a way that allows it to be easily removed and reset every 12 hours and wont blow away in the wind.

If anyone has dealt with this before and has a handyman way of dealing that wont cost a fortune, please post!

View attachment 19992

I use this