Can somebody explain auto flowers to me?

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I should start this out by saying I’m not trying to take a jab at anybody who enjoys auto flowers, I think people should grow what they want to despite what others think, but I’m genuinely curious.

Outside of someone looking for a quick harvest, who wants to run multiple plants at different ages under the same light or something to run alongside photos during a long veg period, what is the appeal of autoflowers to indoor growers? I can think of a couple specific scenarios where growing autoflowers would be advantageous, but in general, can’t quite grasp the autoflower craze. And its also possible that its something thats more popular where I live than other areas, but out here, it seems more people are growing autos than photos.

To be clear, I’m not in the anti-autoflower camp, ive seen autos that yield well and put out fire. I just don’t get the craze and I’m curious if there is something I’m missing.

AlienAthena

Super Active Member
You listed the reasons lmao. Autoflowers allow you to have a perpetual system in one tent. Most Autoflowers will go about 80-130 days from seed to harvest whereas most people veg a photo plant 1.5-2 months before flipping. A lot of breeders have some good autos like Mephisto, Sweet Seeds, and Fast Buds. They’re especially good for people who live near the equator and grow outdoors. I had a Forum Stomper from Mephisto in my veg tent while vegging my next round and by the time I chopped my last plant it was ready. From sometime around thanksgiving til Jan 31st it got chopped. It’ll be less than a half oz dry but I know it’s good smoke.

Of course there’s also cons but those can be erased by growing autos in Hydro/Coco

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I should start this out by saying I’m not trying to take a jab at anybody who enjoys auto flowers, I think people should grow what they want to despite what others think, but I’m genuinely curious.

Outside of someone looking for a quick harvest, who wants to run multiple plants at different ages under the same light or something to run alongside photos during a long veg period, what is the appeal of autoflowers to indoor growers? I can think of a couple specific scenarios where growing autoflowers would be advantageous, but in general, can’t quite grasp the autoflower craze. And its also possible that its something thats more popular where I live than other areas, but out here, it seems more people are growing autos than photos.

To be clear, I’m not in the anti-autoflower camp, ive seen autos that yield well and put out fire. I just don’t get the craze and I’m curious if there is something I’m missing.
Aside from maybe inexperience, I see no need to run an auto. It takes the guess work out of "when to flip" is about all I can come up with. They really arent any faster than a photo. I grow about 1-2 weeks from germ to transplant into 0.5 gal pots in hydro. Those same plants are harvested in under 90 days from seed to harvest. Thats vastly encroaching on some of the best autoflower times and my yields arent any lighter than anything else comparable.
I personally dont see the appeal in autos.

Last edited:

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Autos can flower in your veg tent if you have some extra space, who doesn’t like more flowers?

It was already noted about growing in the tropics. My friend’s father lives out in Hawaii, and I keep telling him to buy auto seeds, and he continues to insist on running bagseed outdoors and scratching his head why the damn things wont flower 🤣

For me, I can’t grow all year, so I can start some autos for my first grow of the season while i let some photos get a nice long veg time in.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I ran some photo plants 12/12 from seed and they automatically started showing sex about day 35-40.

I have been on a forum (ILGM) that sells auto seeds and a frequent "HELP!" thread post is "why aren't my auto's flipping?". Plants grown at 18/6 or 24/0 or whatever, and the pro's advise "switch it to 12/12 until it shows pistils then switch it back to xx/xx"

:unsure:

Might be an attraction for the "set it and forget it" class?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
U know what it's just nice being able to grow outdoors. Where I live u can't really do it well w out a ton of work. Now that I have autos in my life I can throw one outside , in my veg tent or why not in my Bloom tent . Wherever there's extra room why not I say.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
By the OP's initial post, I thought we were talking about the reasoning for indoor autos.
Outside, I can see the benefits of getting done before wet season etc. Indoors -not so much.
Maybe im just a control freak, but I gotta be in charge of the garden and whenever they do what they do ;)

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
By the OP's initial post, I thought we were talking about the reasoning for indoor autos.
Outside, I can see the benefits of getting done before wet season etc. Indoors -not so much.
Maybe im just a control freak, but I gotta be in charge of the garden and whenever they do what they do ;)
thats how i read it. tried em indoors myself probably wont again now that im keeping some moms around im going to try to keep the moms as small plants kind of in a limbo until i need them or ill just go clone from clone and not keep a mom

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I ran some photo plants 12/12 from seed and they automatically started showing sex about day 35-40.

I have been on a forum (ILGM) that sells auto seeds and a frequent "HELP!" thread post is "why aren't my auto's flipping?". Plants grown at 18/6 or 24/0 or whatever, and the pro's advise "switch it to 12/12 until it shows pistils then switch it back to xx/xx"

:unsure:

Might be an attraction for the "set it and forget it" class?
I've run some s
What the hell is this extra room your taking about 🤔 🤔 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm a newbie and sometimes I start ten seeds and only end up w five that are good to go. If this happens which unfortunately it Just did for me ,I pop a few autos that way I can fill the tent . I can finish up the veg w the photos and send them all into the bloom tent together . They are very versatile and almost fool proof which is good for me being a beginner

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've run some s
I'm a newbie and sometimes I start ten seeds and only end up w five that are good to go. If this happens which unfortunately it Just did for me ,I pop a few autos that way I can fill the tent . I can finish up the veg w the photos and send them all into the bloom tent together . They are very versatile and almost fool proof which is good for me being a beginner
A second small grow area you can have 18/6 is helpful for that. You let those 5 go and start another set of fem/reg seeds. Toss them in the 12/12 tent when they're ready.

But if you only have one area and don't want to grow floor, that makes sense.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I haven't shopped for autos, so I don't know if they are a different price from fems or regs in general. You can start photo seeds on 12/12 and they will flip like autos, and it seems to happen when they are big enough for it to happen - like an auto.

When I did this it was an average yield, not great but not skimpy. Kind of like how I have heard auto's described. I think @Opie1 does 12/12 from seed a lot? I could be wrong. Only mention it because it might open up your strain options if you can still do your plan, but not have to stick to autos.

Hellmudd bones

Because some ppl are lazy ass fuq and dont want to bother getting a timer to turn on and off. I grew some autos back in the day. Good yeild some took just as long as the 12/12 strains do. Just liked the fact that I really didn't have to tend them much. Other than that its almost the same. But lesser yeilds and you really don't have control of the flowering phase. Probably won't grow them again.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I hear this a lot but idk imo for autos to produce quality and or quantity everything needs to be dialed in really well
I hear this a lot but idk imo for autos to produce quality and or quantity everything needs to be dialed in really well
They really are forgiving. I made some autos seeds last fall and have been running them so I know what to expect come spring

kotobide

I ran a couple autos and i can say its great knowing you never need to change the schedule and can run perpetual in a single room just harvest and fill the hole with a new autoflower.

Last summer i ran my first autoflowers with 24 hour lighting kept my humidity at bay otherwise id have to run a dehumidifier.

I still prefer to grow out photo period plants as they are more forgiving and you have as much time as you need in veg to make adjustments. With autos you don't have the same free time in veg to manipulate or train as much .

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
Autos aren't my go to, but I see where they can work for some people.

Early bud outside is one allure, especially in a cooler wet location. If started inside in spring and put right out after last frost, possible to finish them by mid summer, even in northern latitudes.

As mentioned already, running them in a veg tent for extra bud is possible.

Stealth for those that want it. Even a "big" autoflower is usually less than 5 feet. Some auto strains are still quick from start to finish, but most people know "70 day finish" claims can really mean 90 days etc.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
;;;;;;;
I haven't shopped for autos, so I don't know if they are a different price from fems or regs in general. You can start photo seeds on 12/12 and they will flip like autos, and it seems to happen when they are big enough for it to happen - like an auto.

When I did this it was an average yield, not great but not skimpy. Kind of like how I have heard auto's described. I think @Opie1 does 12/12 from seed a lot? I could be wrong. Only mention it because it might open up your strain options if you can still do your plan, but not have to stick to autos.
I bought a bunch of FastBuds during their anniversary promo. At half price it's still $5 per bean. Which when the % germination is figured in............this shit's expensive for what it is. But if you have a good sized 18/6 tent running anyway..........no biggie to stick a few in.
Some are fast, many are not and if you can keep clones on standby, no need for auto's, in my opinion. I just got a TangieMatic to pop, the only one of 5. So that bean cost me $25, realistically. As for the weed...........meh.....although some is good. The GSC was good but only one of five popped. The best germ was Blue Dream 7 for 8, but every pheno was different. 4 of the 7 were junk barely worth hashing. I still have a few packs but have decided that clones are a much better proposition timewise, cost wise, yield wise and predictability wise.