Calimagic PPM

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
This is the first time I’ve ever measured the EC/PPM of just Calimagic. Everything I’ve seen online says that 5ml comes out to roughly 500ppm, however both of my TDS meters are showing that it takes 3ml to get my RO water to ~150ppm (.3 EC). Are my TDS meters both out of calibration or is this what others have seen with Calimagic as well? I just ordered a better meter, but in the meantime I would think even with cheaper meters, between the two of them, I should be able to get a somewhat accurate reading, yes?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
This is the first time I’ve ever measured the EC/PPM of just Calimagic. Everything I’ve seen online says that 5ml comes out to roughly 500ppm, however both of my TDS meters are showing that it takes 3ml to get my RO water to ~150ppm (.3 EC). Are my TDS meters both out of calibration or is this what others have seen with Calimagic as well? I just ordered a better meter, but in the meantime I would think even with cheaper meters, between the two of them, I should be able to get a somewhat accurate reading, yes?
I believe you are not getting a accurate reading. My meter shows 83 ppm per mi per gallon ( cali-magic ). 3 ml should equal 250 ppm. The only difference is i am mixing mine with tape but i subtract that number when quoting the 83 ppm per gallon.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Meters fucked up. 5ml per gallon will give you around 500ppm. I would add 2 ml per and it would bump the ppm up to around 250. ML per is to much anyway. You really only need around 200 ppm of cali added first than add in everything else. This was before dynagro. Now I dont add any calmag at all.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Meters fucked up. 5ml per gallon will give you around 500ppm. I would add 2 ml per and it would bump the ppm up to around 250. ML per is to much anyway. You really only need around 200 ppm of cali added first than add in everything else. This was before dynagro. Now I dont add any calmag at all.
I am glad you commented on this boss. I have not been adding the Cali-mag first that might explain some of the cal-mag issues. Will give this a shot to see what a difference it will make.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I am glad you commented on this boss. I have not been adding the Cali-mag first that might explain some of the cal-mag issues. Will give this a shot to see what a difference it will make.
Pull back the calmag the last 2 weeks. I always ran 2.5 ml or right around 200ppm throughout everything. To much calmag in late flower will cause all kinds of fuckery.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I believe you are not getting a accurate reading. My meter shows 83 ppm per mi per gallon ( cali-magic ). 3 ml should equal 250 ppm. The only difference is i am mixing mine with tape but i subtract that number when quoting the 83 ppm per gallon.
Is that on the .7 scale? Because that almost explains the difference entirely. 83 ppm on .7 would equal out to about 59 ppm on the .5 scale, which is right about what I’m getting on the now three meters ive tried.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
And thats with Cali-magic right? On the 0.5 scale? I tried a buddies meter today too, and its still showing about 60 ppm/ml on his as well. the water i added 3ml/gal too is reading just 0.3 EC on both of my meters and his.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
And thats with Cali-magic right? On the 0.5 scale? I tried a buddies meter today too, and its still showing about 60 ppm/ml on his as well. the water i added 3ml/gal too is reading just 0.3 EC on both of my meters and his.
Yes cali-magic and i am on the 500 scale. My numbers are the same as H's. I am fairly certain my meter is correct.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
so weird. so than 2ml should put me right around 150ppm? That is my target goal, 150ppm.
Yes that is correct just a little over but close enough. Just once i wish that GH could make a bottle of something that will not leak with a good shaking. I actually use gatorade bottles to hold some of my liquid products in. I sent them a e-mail about it a few years ago asking them about it. They asked which product i was referring to. I said all of them.lol

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Yes that is correct just a little over but close enough. Just once i wish that GH could make a bottle of something that will not leak with a good shaking. I actually use gatorade bottles to hold some of my liquid products in. I sent them a e-mail about it a few years ago asking them about it. They asked which product i was referring to. I said all of them.lol
I wonder if not shaking the bottle could be the discrepancy. I gave it a little bit of a wiggle but as you said, it leaks when shaking so i took it easy on the shaking.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I was going to say i am not sure but when i looked at the bottle the very last thing it says is shake vigorously. Soooooo could be.
I’ll try that when I get home and see if it makes a difference. That would make more sense to me than 3 different meters all showing wrong measurements, but they are cheaper meters, don’t think any of them cost more than $20 on amazon.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I’ll try that when I get home and see if it makes a difference. That would make more sense to me than 3 different meters all showing wrong measurements, but they are cheaper meters, don’t think any of them cost more than $20 on amazon.
The Blue Lab equipment is extra expensive if you add up all the cheaper meters that you had to buy before you get to something that is reliable and accurate. I know some will disagree with this but thats okay to each his own. I just don't like guessing if the information i am receiving is correct. I even calibrate monthly to double check. After you gain trust in the unit you will need it less and less.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
The Blue Lab equipment is extra expensive if you add up all the cheaper meters that you had to buy before you get to something that is reliable and accurate. I know some will disagree with this but thats okay to each his own. I just don't like guessing if the information i am receiving is correct. I even calibrate monthly to double check. After you gain trust in the unit you will need it less and less.
I’ve got an apera meter on the way. I’ve never used their tds meters but I love their ph meters, super easy to calibrate and it lets you know when it needs to be calibrated again. I should have just ordered their combo meter when I ordered my current ph meter from them but I was using nutes I’ve used forever with tap water, honestly never had much of a reason to measure my ppm other than checking the source water

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Also, shaking up the calmag brought the ppm at 1ml/gallon to 73 on my meter. Seems I’m still off a bit but not too much.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Hey Heisen. I amnsidering jumping over to dyna gro. I am thinking of just using the bloom for flower. When you say no cal mag does that mean no mag pro? Do you just solely use bloom for flower or would I need both the dyna gro bloom and mag pro to complete the feed schedule? Thanks in advance