Cal and Mag and N

Jewels

Bon~Fire
2-3ml per gal is usually the sweet spot for most. CalMag will also add toward the Nitrogen in your feed.
I have come across a product.
It claims "no added N"
Capture+_2019-11-28-12-17-30(1).png
Sells @ $50 a Gallon (4L)
Right now is 25% off,
Doses at 2 ml per litre
It is the same price as the Jen HydroponicsCalmagic.
I am having trouble checking the dosage rate on the GH, because the Canadian site is kind of wonky right now.
Organic, no added N, free shipping (>100)and Canadian to boot.
Is this a good deal ?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It has no nitrogen added, and I don't think cal-mag does either. It is having the Ca,Mg,Fe at the right balance that helps with the nitrogen (and other stuff) uptake.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I have come across a product.
It claims "no added N"
View attachment 32774
Sells @ $50 a Gallon (4L)
Right now is 25% off,
Doses at 2 ml per litre
It is the same price as the Jen HydroponicsCalmagic.
I am having trouble checking the dosage rate on the GH, because the Canadian site is kind of wonky right now.
Organic, no added N, free shipping (>100)and Canadian to boot.
Is this a good deal ?
What concerns me is if you have 8% Mg and 10% Ca you are
1:1.25 using that one
1:3.33 CaliMagic

Also I would not use a product that did not give me an actual amount instead of a range. Ranges are risky you have to assume you'll get the least beneficial rate, sort of like floating mortgages.

I've actually considered mixing my own and I may just do that and test it out. Shout out to Sea Maiden whereever she maybe for the information on Mg:Ca ratio in Mj.

1575054351630.png

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What concerns me is if you have 8% Mg and 10% Ca you are
1:1.25 using that one
1:3.33 CaliMagic

Also I would not use a product that did not give me an actual amount instead of a range. Ranges are risky you have to assume you'll get the least beneficial rate, sort of like floating mortgages.

I've actually considered mixing my own and I may just do that and test it out. Shout out to Sea Maiden whereever she maybe for the information on Mg:Ca ratio in Mj.

View attachment 32894
Did you look at the website provided to see if it has the info you want?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I only ask, because I could care less about labels. Doesn't even mean that's what's in the container if a bored factory worker was feeling frisky. I agree all the info should be on the bottle, but I'd be less worried about it if it was from a reputable company and they had the info available. Price matters more than most of that.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I only ask, because I could care less about labels. Doesn't even mean that's what's in the container if a bored factory worker was feeling frisky. I agree all the info should be on the bottle, but I'd be less worried about it if it was from a reputable company and they had the info available. Price matters more than most of that.
Why would the labels be less accurate than the website, since labels are controlled by the FPLA in the US? That's part of what got Advanced Nutrients into trouble. Someone did a check on their contents and they varied significantly from the label: https://bit.ly/2OyVAAG

Are you suggesting that we do a quantitative and qualitative analysis on any chemical product we use because the workers could have been having a bad day? Who has the ability to do that (besides @cannabineer )?

Price only matters if you are getting what they purport to be in the bottle.

It has no nitrogen added, and I don't think cal-mag does either. It is having the Ca,Mg,Fe at the right balance that helps with the nitrogen (and other stuff) uptake.
CaliMagic (what I use and love) has 1% Nitrogen

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Why would the labels be less accurate than the website, since labels are controlled by the FPLA in the US?
I don't know the loopholes of laws, but having the data "available" (separate MSDS, website with more info etc) might jump those hoops.

Are you suggesting that we do a quantitative and qualitative analysis on any chemical product we use because the workers could have been having a bad day?
No - are you old enough to remember "generic" stuff in the grocery store? It's like store brands now. Some are exact copies of the original for half the price and a damn good bargain. The white can labeled "beer" was NOT a good investment.

If Botanicare put out their cal-mag in a plain container that just said "Botanicaire Cal-Mag+Iron" (or whatever big brand), and another bottle for a few dollars more that had directions, ingredients, a pretty picture, etc. I would by the plain label.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I don't know the loopholes of laws, but having the data "available" (separate MSDS, website with more info etc) might jump those hoops.

No - are you old enough to remember "generic" stuff in the grocery store? It's like store brands now. Some are exact copies of the original for half the price and a damn good bargain. The white can labeled "beer" was NOT a good investment.

If Botanicare put out their cal-mag in a plain container that just said "Botanicaire Cal-Mag+Iron" (or whatever big brand), and another bottle for a few dollars more that had directions, ingredients, a pretty picture, etc. I would by the plain label.
If you can't believe the labels then why would you believe the MSDS sheets? The MSDS sheets are based off the ingredients contained in the bottle as listed on the label.

I come from medicine. I know what generics are and the FDA rules surrounding them most times I would purchase the cheaper generic drug except in certain specific cases for example hormones. FDA wise you only need to be 95% as effective as the brand name and in a few instances that 5% is really important. With pot what it's made out of matters but not as crucial. So yes I'd go for cheaper. Unfortunately in this instance it's not. I pay $16.95/gallon for CaliMagic $50.00/gallon is a lot more for guessing at a range.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I know what generics are and the FDA rules surrounding them most times I would purchase the cheaper generic drug except in certain specific cases for example hormones.
The generics in the 70's was Groceries - not drugs. It wasn't about efficacy, it was about if Fruity Rings tasted the same as Fruit Loops.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
My point - I trust the company - not the label. Especially with all the cheap Chinese Amazon crap out there.
Are you saying you don't trust General Hydroponics? They are the used by most university hydro programs.

From here:

The leading innovator in the field of hydroponics for more than 40 years.
We share your passion for plants — that's how we got our start, and that's what keeps driving us forward.
Over 40 years ago, an inspired group of scientists, engineers and technicians came together with an ambitious goal: to advance agricultural quality and innovation through the use of key manufacturing processes and cutting-edge research.
They succeeded. But it was only the beginning.
In launching General Hydroponics, that team created a foundation that's allowed us to expand in meaningful and industry-changing directions. We now have state-of-the-art facilities in North America and Europe where researchers develop products, solutions and systems that help you care for your plants in a way that delivers the best possible results.
Our Santa Rosa, Calif., factory features large on-site grow facilities that use alternative energy sources and green technologies to save water and power. A specialized farm division has tested over 100 plant varieties for yield, flavor, nutrition, appearance, disease resistance, growth rate and suitability for hydroponic systems.
While improving our customers' growing practices, we're also dedicated to creating a cleaner and more environmentally efficient world. That's why we offer advanced systems powered by solar energy, as well as filtration products that make the most of organic components and nutrient formulations. With industry-leading manufacturing and research, we continually develop products that enhance your results while being kind to the environment.
We honor the vision of our founders by always thinking about what's next. With consistent quality, value and results, General Hydroponics remains committed to leading the industry, offering the most innovative products available and serving growers like you around the world.
General Hydroponics is now part of the Hawthorne Gardening Company. Please visit our website to see our complete family of brands.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Are you saying you don't trust General Hydroponics? They are the used by most university hydro programs.
No - I'm saying because it is from GH, I really don't care what they put on the label - I would use it if the price was right.. Conversely, If it was from Charlie Chan Chemicals on sale from amazon, I wouldn't care what the label said because I wouldn't trust it.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
No - I'm saying because it is from GH, I really don't care what they put on the label - I would use it if the price was right.. Conversely, If it was from Charlie Chan Chemicals on sale from amazon, I wouldn't care what the label said because I wouldn't trust it.
Thank you for disambiguating

Jewels

Bon~Fire
If it was from Charlie Chan Chemicals on sale from amazon, I wouldn't care what the label said because I wouldn't trust it.
I may trust it more than,,,let's see here,,,
American, White, Male, 5'9" , 170 lbs, common law, separated, 25-35.
You gotta be a school teacher, or a cop.

I myself am Canadian. So inherently I will probably apologize for this later.
But , in the meantime take your racist s*** and f*** off.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Wrong on all counts LOL
So you haven't noticed the Chinese knock-off brands on Amazon? Go be offended elsewhere. Charlie Chan was a famous movie character before color TV. If it offends you now you have issues way beyond my post.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

It just hit me how the Canadian made wrong assumptions about me based on race - while calling me racist LOL