Build-a-soil Coco Coir mineral kit

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Just curious if anyone here has ever used the coco coir mineral kit from BAS? Thinking of trying it out this next run. I currently use a 70/30 coco/perlite blend and then I throw an extra layer of perlite on top. This works great for me and I feel like I’ve pretty well got this medium dialed in, but i do think there is room for improvement. I feed Megacrop with RO water, and I calmag the water to 150ppm before mixing nutes. I found out this grow that I need that calcium in there, because I dropped the calmag to just 100ppm to try and push a little more PK booster without raising the EC, and I started getting calcium deficiency in the leaves. What my goal is, is to hopefully not need to add calmag to the water anymore, and I think it’s feasible since Megacrop has so much calcium already anyways. Would be curious to see what people’s experiences have been with this mineral kit.

On a side note, I’ve also been considering switching to another aeration product besides perlite, maybe rice hulls or biochar. Would also be curious what my fellow coco growers are using for aeration. I’m really leaning towards biochar because I’ve read that it also can act as a host for microbes, and I do use exogenous microbes.

You only need to use about 5-10% biochar. Pumice would be another option for soil aeration. I personally have never ran hydro besides hempys so can’t help ya there. Nor used buildasoil products, but know they’re legit as my soil recipes are based off of Jeremys.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I just potted up a couple testers to see how rice hulls work. I used once used coco with the hulls. Ill
Post in a couple weeks if it’s working.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Ya I have herd but haven’t tried. I brew beer and use them in a hef. Beer I brew that’s 50/50 barley and wheat. Prevents stuck mash. So I have on hand and it’s cheep.