bud rot pathogens

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
i was browsing the interwebs, doing some research and stuff and stumbled upon this paper released less than a year ago.

its detailed work and also has photos which made me realized i had fusarium bud rot before.

abstract

Bud rot pathogens cause diseases on Cannabis sativa L. (cannabis, hemp) worldwide through pre- and post-harvest infections of the inflorescence. Seven indoor or outdoor cannabis production sites and three hemp fields were sampled for bud rot and stem canker presence during 2019–2020. Among 178 isolates recovered from diseased tissues, sequences of the ITS1-5.8S-ITS2 region of rDNA, the glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (G3PDH) gene and the heat shock 60 (HSP) gene identified the following: Botrytis cinerea (162 isolates), B. pseudocinerea(2), B. porri (1), Sclerotinia sclerotiorum (5), Diaporthe eres (3) and Fusarium graminearum (5). Pathogenicity studies conducted on fresh detached cannabis buds inoculated with spore suspensions or mycelial plugs showed that B. cinerea, S. sclerotiorum and F. graminearum were the most virulent, while B. pseudocinerea, B. porriand D. eres caused significantly less bud rot. Optimal growth of Botrytis species occurred at 15–25°C. In vitro antagonism tests showed that Bacillusspp., Trichoderma asperellum and Gliocladium catenulatum inhibited B. cinerea and S. sclerotiorumcolony growth. When applied as a spray 48 h prior to B. cinerea inoculation, all biocontrol agents significantly (P < 0.01) reduced disease development on detached inflorescences. Prolific growth and sporulation of T. asperellum and G. catenulatumwere observed on bud tissues. The pathogens B. porri, S. sclerotiorum, D. eres and F. graminearumare described for the first time as cannabis bud rot pathogens. Inoculum from neighbouring fields of diseased garlic, cabbage, blueberry and hay pasture, respectively, likely initiated infection of inflorescences. Several biological control agents show potential for disease reduction through competitive exclusion.

link to the study
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07060661.2021.1936650