Breeding with feminized seeds ?

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Hermaphrodites, as in, at a single node there is a staminate and pistillate parts; is usuaually a characteristic of monoecious, ie most hemp, daisies, grass, etc etc 93% of all plants are monoecious.

Dioecieous plants female cannabis, nettles, willow, avocado, kiwi etc..... which have seperated sexes onto different plants, usuaully have far more robust means of inbreeding productivity and have adaptations on hermaphroditism at a single node......

20200119_140032.png

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Personally, I find way more instances of gynodioecious and androiecious, than true hermaphrodites, whuch are rare, imho....usually what happens is that pistillate and staminate parts are on the Same plant but not the same Node! This is more like andro or gyno type of populations......

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Ive had a couple plants herm on me before and the only thing other than genetics that could of played a factor is the environment.

Ime i found when i wasnt lollipoping them enough, the lower branches wernt getting enough light which caused a couple bottom branches to produce seeds. Like 5 in the entire plant which wouldnt make it a tru herm correct?

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
right now im thinking for the 1st try im gonna run Gibberellic Acid mixed with Tirisus Mist.

Ive been studying the plants hormones to try and get a good idea of whats going to suppress ethylene the best while leaving the plants ability to make viable seeds intact.

Some strains just dont like reversing i hear and some throw little pollen once reversed. Im thinking open air pollination for the 1st run, gonna sit the reverse in the middle of the tent and shake the shit out of him. Prolly do this a a few times during weeks 2 to 6 to try and get every plant in the tent as pollinated as possible. Some are pollinating all the way up until the week their pulled.

Its great to hear youve had all fems so far from that method. Its something im worried about being a tent grower i cant afford to lose half my plants bc their herms.
Might make sense to use clones from plants you've flowered successfully before as females that didn't show balls. That way you start with a nice known girl you can take home to mother. (pun intended) Also, some strains seem to have reputations for more eager to herm tendencies. Gorilla Glue and Glue crosses I've heard as well as Thai stuff.

If it's a newcomer you've not run before, It's theoretically possible to have what appears or you believe to be a female and after you begin spraying it you are convinced the male flowers which develop are a result of the spraying, when they're not. This could happen if your believed "female" was going to throw male flowers whether you sprayed it or not, (monoecious) . Don't think I'd trust those seeds.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Might make sense to use clones from plants you've flowered successfully before as females that didn't show balls. That way you start with a nice known girl you can take home to mother. (pun intended) Also, some strains seem to have reputations for more eager to herm tendencies. Gorilla Glue and Glue crosses I've heard as well as Thai stuff.

If it's a newcomer you've not run before, It's theoretically possible to have what appears or you believe to be a female and after you begin spraying it you are convinced the male flowers which develop are a result of the spraying, when they're not. This could happen if your believed "female" was going to throw male flowers whether you sprayed it or not, (monoecious) . Don't think I'd trust those seeds.
Thats exactly what im doing...Just cloned the La x Purple Punch cross again. They just rooted this week so maybe another 2 or 3 weeks until i flip a few of them into flower. Gonna take 1 and throw her in another tent to start reversing.

Probably start small just trying to pollinate 1 plant at first and seeing how it goes.

Will be giving away the majority of the seeds for free to the community. Whoever would like them will get them :)

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
They are both hermaphrodites and until you grow some of the progeny you won't really know what ones have a greater propensity for rodelization.
Forgive me if I'm being repetitive, just want to get some clarity, so I understand your meaning better and use the terminology consistently...

When you're saying "rodelization" you are referring to what happens when a very ripe female, is throwing a few male flowers with viable pollen outside the buds at the end of it's life cycle ?
I normally refer to those plants, as females and don't think of them or refer to them
as hermies...should I ?

I normally refer to plants which show both male and female flowers prior to fully ripening as hermaphrodites or hermies. These plants will do this even without apparent environmental disturbances, Those are genetic hermies and don't give a shit, they got both sets of equipment and are named Pat, Carmen, Sydney or Jaime. Okay the last part was just to see if you're still reading this.

Then there's the sometimes they will and sometimes they won't kind. For instance they can be flowered under a tight environmental setup and harvested, without seeds or male flowers appearing.
The same plants under a different environmental setup, say light bleed, will develop male flowers, while some other females of a different strain right beside them don't seem to. When those plants do "hermie", I call them hermies, what should I call them?

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Forgive me if I'm being repetitive, just want to get some clarity, so I understand your meaning better and use the terminology consistently...

When you're saying "rodelization" you are referring to what happens when a very ripe female, is throwing a few male flowers with viable pollen outside the buds at the end of it's life cycle ?
I normally refer to those plants, as females and don't think of them or refer to them
as hermies...should I ?

I normally refer to plants which show both male and female flowers prior to fully ripening as hermaphrodites or hermies. These plants will do this even without apparent environmental disturbances, Those are genetic hermies and don't give a shit, they got both sets of equipment and are named Pat, Carmen, Sydney or Jaime. Okay the last part was just to see if you're still reading this.

Then there's the sometimes they will and sometimes they won't kind. For instance they can be flowered under a tight environmental setup and harvested, without seeds or male flowers appearing.
The same plants under a different environmental setup, say light bleed, will develop male flowers, while some other females of a different strain right beside them don't seem to. When those plants do "hermie", I call them hermies, what should I call them?
Rodelization means the tendency to hermaphrodism based upon environmental stress; whether via age, light, chemical etc... Some genetics carry more of a tendency than another and until allele analysis is possible we won't know precisely why.

Anyway I like how you think, quite logical.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Rodelization means the tendency to hermaphrodism based upon environmental stress; whether via age, light, chemical etc... Some genetics carry more of a tendency than another and until allele analysis is possible we won't know precisely why.

Anyway I like how you think, quite logical.
See i thought rodelization referred to the process of letting your female plant over ripen so it will start to throw nanners/pollen sacks

Edit: i guess this would still be considered rodelization under your definition I just never knew it extended to other environmental stressers as well.

Now1more

Super Active Member
I came back to this because I'm very interested. I know nothing about breeding. I know how to garden! But, breeding is a whole other beast.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
It really is. Ill be trying a variety of methods and sharing the seeds with the community to get the best overall feedback.

Going to try Tiresias Mist on this 1st run. Kinda hoping heisen throws up another tutorial using the CS so i can see exactly how to spray.

Nyaga

Junior Soil Food Web Consultant
It really is. Ill be trying a variety of methods and sharing the seeds with the community to get the best overall feedback.

Going to try Tiresias Mist on this 1st run. Kinda hoping heisen throws up another tutorial using the CS so i can see exactly how to spray.
he said you spray on the nodes.. where the pistils shows