Breeding F2s

Drewsnutz

So im trying to make some F2s of Exotic Genetics Rainbow Chip for me and everyone who still wants them. I have a dedicated 2x4x5 tent with 2 males, 2 females, (thanks to Delta Lab for testing them) and one not sexed yet. I cant figure out if I want to do an all male tent and collect pollen and brush it on the girls I have in the 5x5 flower tent or keep the females in the male tent and just let them fill up with babies. I also have some Karma Sour Melon and Exotic Funky Charms that I might want to take some pollen from also. My question is, if I have 3 different stain males in a 2x4 tent can I collect separate pollen from each of them or will it just get too overwhelming and pollen just flying everywhere so much that all the pollen will be mixed together? Obviously if I remove the males and collect the pollen away from each other they wont "cross".

Example = 2 Rainbow Chip M, 1 Sour Melon M, 1 Funcky Charms M, will I just get a mix of all three males if I try to collect the pollen cuz it will be everywhere, or can I take a male out, wash it somehow, and collect fresh pollen as sack open up.

To sum this ramble up, can I successfully collect pollen from 3 different males in the same area?

pHup

Dihydrogen
sounds Fing A👌
...While your waiting for the big boys⏳;)
I saw this pollen bag idea in the free sample of this book. It's an idea in a pinch if you limit the # of male flowering branches.

(I once chopped a stunning male L.A. Con x Kimbo Kush due to space limits and to this day I think of work arounds should I ever comes across another stud)

Attachments

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
I’m just going to point out, you’re making polyhybrid seeds, not f1s. Breeders. Red to stop calling their unstable crosses f1s as it confuses new breeders. You need two stable strains(ibls, p1 , etc) in order to call the seeds that come out f1s. It’s the only time you’ll see true hybrid vigor, anyone that talks about it with cookies and og shit is retarded.

Just some info. Your “f1s” won’t be stable at all, because they’re not really f1s, but none of that affects your breeding, just correct info.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
So im trying to make some F2s of Exotic Genetics Rainbow Chip for me and everyone who still wants them. I have a dedicated 2x4x5 tent with 2 males, 2 females, (thanks to Delta Lab for testing them) and one not sexed yet. I cant figure out if I want to do an all male tent and collect pollen and brush it on the girls I have in the 5x5 flower tent or keep the females in the male tent and just let them fill up with babies. I also have some Karma Sour Melon and Exotic Funky Charms that I might want to take some pollen from also. My question is, if I have 3 different stain males in a 2x4 tent can I collect separate pollen from each of them or will it just get too overwhelming and pollen just flying everywhere so much that all the pollen will be mixed together? Obviously if I remove the males and collect the pollen away from each other they wont "cross".

Example = 2 Rainbow Chip M, 1 Sour Melon M, 1 Funcky Charms M, will I just get a mix of all three males if I try to collect the pollen cuz it will be everywhere, or can I take a male out, wash it somehow, and collect fresh pollen as sack open up.

To sum this ramble up, can I successfully collect pollen from 3 different males in the same area?
Are u trying to stabilize the f1s u have already ? Or are u trying to make some crosses ?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado

To answer your question, if u have more than one male yes pollen is gonna be everywhere and u won't know what's what .

Drewsnutz

Im just trying to make some seeds for future use if my mothers die. Im not breeding, or stabilizing, just trying to make my first batch with something I know isnt around anymore. I understand the seeds are going to produce a wide range of phenos from the parent traits, which is why I choose the Rainbow Chip to start with.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Im just trying to make some seeds for future use if my mothers die. Im not breeding, or stabilizing, just trying to make my first batch with something I know isnt around anymore. I understand the seeds are going to produce a wide range of phenos from the parent traits, which is why I choose the Rainbow Chip to start with.
Ok was just making sure, so if u cross 2 from the same batch , it's a more stable f2 . If u cross 2 dif strains u will get an f1 which most likely will have hybrid vigour and various phenos . I would just take ur best male and get some pollen and hit the fems u wanna preserve. If u are trying to f2 like u said u were take ur best male and best fems of the same strain and make some that way . Trying to help , and obviously this is just my opinion.

Drewsnutz

I dont know what I was thinking with the title "Breeding F2s" should be more like, "Makin my first batch". So im gunna stick with the Rainbow Chips and keep my best male and female and throw them in there together. Ill post when I get pollen and seeds for everyone. I dont see anyone trading/gifting pollen nearly as much as beans. How long does pollen stay good in a little plastic seed vial big enough for 6 seeds?

pHup

Dihydrogen
I dont know what I was thinking with the title "Breeding F2s" should be more like, "Makin my first batch". So im gunna stick with the Rainbow Chips and keep my best male and female and throw them in there together. Ill post when I get pollen and seeds for everyone. I dont see anyone trading/gifting pollen nearly as much as beans. How long does pollen stay good in a little plastic seed vial big enough for 6 seeds?
In the link i posted is uncle bens pollination method. Sounds simple and straight forwad. It might be worth a new post here on CP to trawl for more up to date methods and maybe @ a few chuckers for quick tips

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
For something like this I would stager them all by 2 weeks. Put your first male in and as soon as he starts to show the development of male flowers (2-3 weeks) add your next male. This will give you 2 weeks to develop the first male and collect pollen before the second male starts to open his flowers and drop pollen. Remove the first male before the second starts producing pollen. I would also suggest cleaning the space when you remove the first male and only collect pollen directly from each plant. Then repeat, Got to keep good notes when breeding!

Last edited:

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
If u keep cold and dry maybe like up to 60 days maybe 90 ? Typically I'd say it's viability in typical conditions maybe a month or two. Like opie said there are sooo many variables. The more variables u can control the longer the seeds will be viable.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
For something like this I would stager them all by 2 weeks. Put your first male in and as soon as he starts to show the development of male flowers (2-3 weeks) add your next male. This will give you 2 weeks to develop the first male and collect pollen before the second male starts to open his flowers and drop pollen. Remove the first male before the second starts producing pollen. I would also suggest cleaning the space when you remove the first male and only collect pollen directly from each plant. Then repeat, Got to keep good notes when breeding!
Dude this is very interesting. I never even thought of doing this . Great idea!

Stoned Cold Bulldog

We all tend to look over the littlest things that seem to be common sense after the fact.
that's just like i made tuna cakes the other night. i made my coin as a professional cook/chef. and my whole family was loaded down with good cooks as well as friends. yet i never heard anyone making tuna cakes. salmon cakes, cod fish cakes, crab cakes but never tuna cakes. 1st batch was tasty biut i will make them better and better by the 3/4 batch.

so back to the green topic ha. KISS = use like to breed to like to preserve that which u like and want to keep. use any male to any female just for shits and giggles to make seeds to play with later and hunt for keepers in the original batch or second batch. Nows so far as that staggering idea of 2 weeks apart. it's possible and doable but far too risky if you don't want your pollen to contaminate females you don't intend to know up. males can and will surprise you when they open and release pollen. especially when you aren't really experienced with the strain or seeds u have.

personally I'm always going to do shit based on prevent defense type if way, rather than a lets try this and see what happens type of scenario. = "experiments not included" obviously. ijs your mileage may vary. the positive to all of this are the various options you have based on what your goals are. take your time i would say. haste makes waste is also something to recall.

i wish your chucks success.