Breaking some trichomes before curing?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I was reading this article by Ed Rosenthal and found this quote interesting:

Ed Rosenthal said:
I cure cannabis by packaging it in a wooden or card- board box and pressing it slightly so that some of the trichomes break. Their oils and terpenes spread over the surface of the buds.
Have any of you heard of or done this before? I’m curious about what kind of a difference this would make compared to curing without pressing the buds together to break some trichomes. Maybe I’ll try this method with half of my next harvest to see if there’s any noticeable difference.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I was reading this article by Ed Rosenthal and found this quote interesting:

Have any of you heard of or done this before? I’m curious about what kind of a difference this would make compared to curing without pressing the buds together to break some trichomes. Maybe I’ll try this method with half of my next harvest to see if there’s any noticeable difference.

Did you try the pressing the flower to break trichomes curing method? If so what was the verdict?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
"Make sure the humidity stays at 45-50% to prevent fungus and mold formation. If the buds smell moldy or like ammonia, the containers should be opened immediately, allowing the bud to dry in a warmer environment for a few hours before continuing the curing process. It is the result of curing undried plants."

I'm always a skeptic. With 62% packs my flowers are perfectly smokable. Two things in quick succession make me look for a second opinion on anything else he says... 45-50% rh? That dry as fuck and it's gonna crumble - no grinder needed. Bring back the brick weed mids of the 80's.

Second thing is about smelling ammonia. If you get that smell in a jar - let it dry out, freeze it, and make hash - the entire jar is now suspect for having shit in it you really don't want to smoke. The problem is all in the vegetable matter though, so make hash.

Seeing the large tray of still-wet bowl-trimmed buds also puts me off the advice.

Alpha Omega

"Make sure the humidity stays at 45-50% to prevent fungus and mold formation. If the buds smell moldy or like ammonia, the containers should be opened immediately, allowing the bud to dry in a warmer environment for a few hours before continuing the curing process. It is the result of curing undried plants."

I'm always a skeptic. With 62% packs my flowers are perfectly smokable. Two things in quick succession make me look for a second opinion on anything else he says... 45-50% rh? That dry as fuck and it's gonna crumble - no grinder needed. Bring back the brick weed mids of the 80's.

Second thing is about smelling ammonia. If you get that smell in a jar - let it dry out, freeze it, and make hash - the entire jar is now suspect for having shit in it you really don't want to smoke. The problem is all in the vegetable matter though, so make hash.

Seeing the large tray of still-wet bowl-trimmed buds also puts me off the advice.
That brink weed gave the best and longest high I ever had. May not taste like blueberries but it preforms the duties I want from weed.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

Ed definitely still does a lot of things the old school way. I liked his books for the basics when I started growing because they were written in a way that was easy for me to grasp.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Ed definitely still does a lot of things the old school way. I liked his books for the basics when I started growing because they were written in a way that was easy for me to grasp.
He's definitely a pioneer and deserves credit, but listening to him on a recent podcast and I'm not that impressed. It's like he hasn't evolved.

Also, that article was written by someone else - he has a blurb at the beginning "By my friend, the late and great strain hunter Franco Loja. "

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
In general that's just shitty attention to detail - which I think is a poor trait for a breeder. If he has a drop I'll pass.

D

Deleted member 60

I'm not a fan of the Boveda's. Everyone sees it differently...but my weed...cus I grow it all in the Summer...... and I'm in CO......IS gonna dry out......to that (nearly) crumble stage. It's inevitable.

But it can be rehydrated easily. Since it's personal bud and I'm not selling it....I take a good handful out of the stash....put it in a mason jar....and blow a few good breaths into the jar...then lid it. Voila'. A few hours later the weed is a lot less crumbly/etc... and very smokeable. I've also used a damp paper towel placed in a jar of weed for a few hours. Again....humidity goes back up...blahdeeeblah......

With the Boveda's yer weed is gonna go to shit over time. It will go brown with all of that humidity in there....and it loses al lot of it's smell. (fruity strains hold their smell the longest, IMO. Cookies/etc....go flat/loose most of their smell within 6 months) That's my experience anyway.

Short term storage is different, for sure. Most folks don't truly cure their pot. It's long gone before that.

Ed....he was the go to in the day...before the Net/info was at your feet without any effort as it is today. Where did all the time go?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I'm not a fan of the Boveda's. Everyone sees it differently...but my weed...cus I grow it all in the Summer...... and I'm in CO......IS gonna dry out......to that (nearly) crumble stage. It's inevitable.

But it can be rehydrated easily. Since it's personal bud and I'm not selling it....I take a good handful out of the stash....put it in a mason jar....and blow a few good breaths into the jar...then lid it. Voila'. A few hours later the weed is a lot less crumbly/etc... and very smokeable. I've also used a damp paper towel placed in a jar of weed for a few hours. Again....humidity goes back up...blahdeeeblah......

With the Boveda's yer weed is gonna go to shit over time. It will go brown with all of that humidity in there....and it loses al lot of it's smell. (fruity strains hold their smell the longest, IMO. Cookies/etc....go flat/loose most of their smell within 6 months) That's my experience anyway.

Short term storage is different, for sure. Most folks don't truly cure their pot. It's long gone before that.

Ed....he was the go to in the day...before the Net/info was at your feet without any effort as it is today. Where did all the time go?
Interesting comment about humidity and it turning brown, which all of mine does over time, stored at RH of about 58 - 62 (I use the cheap Chinese hygrometers).

I wonder if there is a RH point that prevents the browning?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The humidity should never go over the RH listed on the pack. I use 62% Integra Boost packs and I have flower that has been jarred up for over a year that still has a strong smell to it and no browning. The Banana Organge Daiquiri and Topanga Wedding I jarred up 19 months ago is just starting to go brown but it still has a lot of green color to it. I think storage temperature plays a big role in the browning of the flower.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member

a fresh cannabis leaf helps a lot.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
The humidity should never go over the RH listed on the pack. I use 62% Integra Boost packs and I have flower that has been jarred up for over a year that still has a strong smell to it and no browning. The Banana Organge Daiquiri and Topanga Wedding I jarred up 19 months ago is just starting to go brown but it still has a lot of green color to it. I think storage temperature plays a big role in the browning of the flower.
anybody try that with RKS or pine bud?