brand new build....in basement.....6'6" total height

saskrider

hi all....am about to start building this room. finished dimensions are 6'10" x 7'9" x 6'6" high.
my plan is to run a 12 pot dwrc system.....the room will be built as a sealed room .
lighting is an issue i'm having an issue with ...due to low ceiling height in general.
the 12 pot layout would give me a footprint of 40" x 60" ( approx. 20" center to center )
i'm kinda thinking that a cobb light setup would work pretty good.
my question is...does a cobb put out much heat and how close to the ceiling would be safe?
i have been given a 1000w hps and ballast as well as a 1000w halide.......but they put out way to much heat and i would have very little headroom for growth.
Please share your ideas and past expierences.
thx all....saskrider.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
hi all....am about to start building this room. finished dimensions are 6'10" x 7'9" x 6'6" high.
my plan is to run a 12 pot dwrc system.....the room will be built as a sealed room .
lighting is an issue i'm having an issue with ...due to low ceiling height in general.
the 12 pot layout would give me a footprint of 40" x 60" ( approx. 20" center to center )
my question is...does a cobb put out much heat and how close to the ceiling would be safe?
i have been given a 1000w hps and ballast as well as a 1000w halide.......but they put out way to much heat and i would have very little headroom for growth.
thx all....saskrider.
6’6 head room isn’t that short if you start flowering when the plants are at an appropriate height. Regardless of the type of the light used, and assuming it’s a decent light, most plants will stretch 2-3 times their height at time of flip to 12/12, although some may stretch 4 times, and some less than two.

You’ll also want to consider ventilation, circulation, temperature and humidity controls in your space.

Growweedeasy.com has some excellent reading for begginers (like myself).

There a a lot of experienced people here willing to help, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Welcome to CP!

Vee

Ancient Member
thx all....saskrider.
With anything growers may start in DIY
I always advise to keep your project open architured ..like the pc computer

so you may add or remove thru out your first grow to suit a growing plant..
that their is a tough one a lot tougher than even experienced growers may consider ..
like using chains to hang lights.. over fixing the light to the ceiling

just keeping it flexiable to change and suit at the last moment...this idea don't appeal to all...

as it leaves a very messy place during this say 3 month trial

good luck

Rooted

Plant whisperer
thx all....saskrider.
Exhaust? Its not that low. From budget standpoint you can run those lights but need cooled hoods and good exhaust. Sealed room for? My go to would be qbs on ratchets though for low profile high output. All will get hot if its sealed n not vented good. No pro just my opinion.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I no i could either walk u threw or make a top knotch led fixture for whatever size area u need. Dont buy the prebuilt plug n play fixtures from say HLG. Way over priced and the average guy can buy the parts and build one for hundreds less than they advertise. I like hlg but wood never buy a prebuilt fixture like the hlg 550 or hlg 300. I have built myself a fixture for a 6x8x7 room in past. Was fun to do and easier than it looks imo. Quantum boards are the rave imo these days. If u got any questions private message me and il help if u want.. Cobs are good but quantums are 1 step above them imo.. ✌🤘

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Heat is produced by the watt. To remove the heat you have 2 choices.
less wattage (which produces less heat)
Get the heat out of the room. Air cooled hoods and a scrubber going outside are how you remove it.

You need to replace the air anyway...or they grow wonky

And the height is ok. You will learn the stretch of what you grow and flip accordingly.

I have some plants under a 1kHPS in the 5 foot 8 clearance room i have now. Air cooled hoods are GREAT !

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
thx all....saskrider.
Heres just a idea when i built a 5x5 fixture. 8 boards and 2 meanwell drivers.1 driver powers 4 boards so that why i say only 2 drivers needed. Each board pumps out 75 watts max totaling 600 watts of true draw power. Passive cooling for lights. Small fan blowing across back of lights is all needed for lights. Can mount the drivers outside the room/ tent for less heat in room and to control brightness .. These can be done cheaper than ud think. Id say 600 watts of these leds could easily out perform the 1000 watt hps - metal halide.
Just a example and info on what i learned on the 3 fixtures ive built when i owned them. If u got any questions feel free to ask or pm me.. Good luck

Attachments

I just joined the forum so I know I’m late to the party but what did you end up doing with your space saskrider?

I’ll put in my .02 so future researchers looking at this thread have one more idea..

I have very similar dimensions and wound up going barebulb vert.. Research vertical scrog...

I will post a thread at some point with more detail but the simple explanation is hang the bulb in the center of a circle of plants, small fan blowing heat off the bulb toward the ceiling and strong extraction up high pulling heat from room. Paired with Blumats, clean nutes, and coco, Easy peasy..