Bowl trimmer

DougDawson

Really Active Member
If you have the washing machine kit then the extraction is going to be a cakewalk for you. The hardest part about making bubble hash is making sure you properly dry it. You want to dry it in similar conditions to how you dry flower but. Just to make sure it is completely dry, some people will press it into a brick (once it is dried), freeze it, and then micro-plane it while frozen onto cardboard to let it dry a second time.
Thanks, I watched a video of someone using a micro-plane the frozen bubble, appreciate the info.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Only difference is I don't micro-plane. I think it's all about the oil-filled resin head and slicing them with blades seems counterproductive.

I have tried just pressing the wet stuff immediately, working the water out through a 25m sheet very lightly. Then using the regular heat/press method to go ahead and make a ball. It worked and there was no mold.

I have also just crumbled the bubble back up and let it dry. Run it through a kitchen sifter several times if it stays clumpy, but basically get it back to dry sift. You have to leave it in open air to dry or any tiny bits of veg left in it will start the mold process.

Both methods seem to work.

If you let it dry first some will melt back together and some will not based on quality.
If you do the ball first some will stay melty and soft after they cure, some will get 'brownie/brick' texture and either stay 'chewy' like a brownie or crumble back apart.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Only difference is I don't micro-plane. I think it's all about the oil-filled resin head and slicing them with blades seems counterproductive.
They all burst when you press the hash with a hot water bottle, anyways, don't they? I thought I heard Frenchy mention them bursting as being part of the process.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They all burst when you press the hash with a hot water bottle, anyways, don't they? I thought I heard Frenchy mention them bursting as being part of the process.
Right, but you are bursting them and then drying them if you micro-plane. If you wait to burst them until you are making the ball it just seems more logical. Might not matter one bit.

DougDawson

Really Active Member

I have tried just pressing the wet stuff immediately, working the water out through a 25m sheet very lightly. Then using the regular heat/press method to go ahead and make a ball. It worked and there was no mold.

I have also just crumbled the bubble back up and let it dry. Run it through a kitchen sifter several times if it stays clumpy, but basically get it back to dry sift. You have to leave it in open air to dry or any tiny bits of veg left in it will start the mold process.

Both methods seem to work.

If you let it dry first some will melt back together and some will not based on quality.
If you do the ball first some will stay melty and soft after they cure, some will get 'brownie/brick' texture and either stay 'chewy' like a brownie or crumble back apart.
Thanks @H.A.F. , much appreciated. I am sure there will be a learning curve with this. I have tried to set myself up for this as best I can and still want to change the hose on the washing machine prior to running it. I took down a whole BOG Grape punch which I am dedicating to hash so hopefully running bud as well as trim will make my first shot better. No matter what it should be fun to try.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Thanks @H.A.F. , much appreciated. I am sure there will be a learning curve with this. I have tried to set myself up for this as best I can and still want to change the hose on the washing machine prior to running it. I took down a whole BOG Grape punch which I am dedicating to hash so hopefully running bud as well as trim will make my first shot better. No matter what it should be fun to try.
Listen to podcasts about making hash.

Don't just decide to hash a whole plant, it might not wash. It takes the right kind of plant to make the good stuff.

Do a test wash with a set amount from each plant, like a 10g sample, and wash it in a mason jar. Freeze it, toss it in a jar with ice and clean water then shake the hell out of it for a while. See what sinks. Run it through bags and weigh the return vs that 10g starting amount.

DougDawson

Really Active Member
Don't just decide to hash a whole plant
The other plants, although they may make better hash, are going to be left as bud on this run. I really want some BOG Sour Bubble and Grape Punch in my cupboard. I may press some for rosin to dab and make vape carts with but otherwise they will be left as bud. Being my first attempt I am not going to use the really good looking buds on my first attempt. Rather get a feel for it before I start dumping my really good stuff in there. I know the process works but I still have this voice in the back of my head asking why I am dumping weed into ice filled water, lol. After I get past the initial attempt I will aim to be more selective.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
Listen to podcasts about making hash.

Don't just decide to hash a whole plant, it might not wash. It takes the right kind of plant to make the good stuff.

Do a test wash with a set amount from each plant, like a 10g sample, and wash it in a mason jar. Freeze it, toss it in a jar with ice and clean water then shake the hell out of it for a while. See what sinks. Run it through bags and weigh the return vs that 10g starting amount.
out of 10 g what is the return on good plant materal?

Not Sure

Banned
Just wanted to see what you guys think about them and if they are worth the investment.

I don't have the environment to do whole plant and I'm thinking that taking the tops and bowl trimming the rest will be my best course of action in the future.

This was last night's removal.
View attachment 100011

I think the browning I've been snipping are bruised areas from banging against the tote during the wash. When I cut into or peeled back the buds everything was green and healthy looking. A tear dropped everytime they hit the pan with thud.
Plant saucers work nice too. They're cheaper if you have a shop around.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
out of 10 g what is the return on good plant materal?
I have no clue :ROFLMAO: I hear them talking about percentages but since I am not that into it I didn't pay attention to what was a percentage of what.

I looked at it as more of a way to compare plant one two and three for the home grower, but I know it could get way more scientific and having a 10g starting weight probably makes that kind of math real easy.